2021 F1 Discussion

camelspyyder

1 hour ago, Mickvrs220 said:

Bit controversial at end ,was rooting for lewis but thats racing and nice to see a new champion ,it needed a shake up .

Definitely... but at least be consistent and make it fair.

I still think Mercedes should have taken Norris instead of Russell too.

Letting only 5 of the lapped cars through and not all of them surely isn't following the rule?

Either stick with the original decision to let none of the lapped cars through or let ALL of the lapped cars through.

IMHO Mercedes have a valid reason to make an appeal.

Yes having the race not finishing under safety car is preferred but only if the rules have been followed.

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 3

Shame the end is controversial, although not surprising given the season we’ve watched. The last championship I remember being that close on the final lap was Hamilton passing Glock in 2008 for the championship in Brazil! 

Ironic that a Mercedes powered car caused the Safety car episode.

Wonder who will supply Williams’ engines next year?  👹

1 hour ago, Mickvrs220 said:

Max is the champion ,mercedes protest is thrown out 

They're going to appeal and have 96 hours.... 

The stewards need their heads wobbling before next season. 

• Like 3

Even if Mercedes protest against the race direction succeeds, what will happen?

FIA declare the race result void, leaving Max and Lewis on 369.5 points each, and Max as Champion on race wins 9 to 8!

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

Even if Mercedes protest against the race direction succeeds, what will happen?

FIA declare the race result void, leaving Max and Lewis on 369.5 points each, and Max as Champion on race wins 9 to 8!

I'm sure there's other possible outcomes... 

Who knows, we can only wait and see 🤷‍♂️

If I could place a bit on it with SKY Bet, I'd wager that things will not change. It's done and dusted. At least the Ham-ster gets a knighted on Wednesday  :) 

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 2

It was never going to change things. I think they saw the light once the dust had settled 

To be fair to Hamilton, I've always considered him a bit of a pillock, but he has shown great grace and sportsmanship in his handling of the defeat, especially under the circumstances of what happened 

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

To be fair to Hamilton, I've always considered him a bit of a pillock, but he has shown great grace and sportsmanship in his handling of the defeat, especially under the circumstances of what happened 

Indeed he has - can you imagine the same being said of Verstappen?  The teddies would have been well and truly out of the pram!

• Like 1

Finally he's won a title.

I really cant believe its taken 7 years, but that's what he got for Daddy choosing RedBull over other suitors in 2014.  In comparison Hamilton's Dad got him into a front running McLaren.

Had the Dutch signed for Mercedes back in 2014 (without the promise of an immediate race drive) I expect Max would have had the seat Bottas got, and won 3 or more titles by now.

In some ways similar to Alesi who chose the wrong team, and gained a career total of 1 race win, whilst the team he turned down dominated for the majority of the  next 7 years.

Edited by camelspyyder

I don't doubt Max's talent, but I think his personality was too fragile until this year. I don't think mentally he could have coped with Hamilton as a teammate. For me, Hamilton had the 'big team ride' throughout his career, quite simply because he was the best. Now he is at the end of his reign and his peak powers will slowly decline, but that doesn't mean he won't win an 8th title. When I look at the whole season and the ability to focus and manage the requirements of mounting a championship bid, I see only two contenders. That is unless one of the other teams produces a mega car that can compensate for any driver shortcoming. 

• Like 1

Well hes ikely going to get a sanction from the FIA for snubbing the prize giving tonight in defiance of another rubbish F1 rule.

Wolf isn't going either. Neither will the F1 or FE winning Mercedes cars be on display.

I think even Max will understand why Toto and Sir Lewis won't be attending. I'm hoping there will be a positive discussion come out of the final farce of a race and also we get to see why the decisions were made, as everything is recorded - yer right!  :D  that's going to happen