Anyone actually happy with their MK4? 😂

RS iV with challenge + pack

+ nice interior

+ dcc is great, use it daily depending on my mood

+ canton got somewhat better with update

+ powertrain is perhaps better in non-RS. I mean its quick, but 225 wide tires are useless :)

+ leather/alcantara seats are great, except the massage is almost useless.

+ infotaiment works nicely

+ electric boot works always

+ matrix lights are good

+ automatic steering wheel + seat heating is awesome

+ automatic lock open on approach.

- map guidance does not always give you the straightest route

- some beeps, just got steering wheel replaced

- really eager to start ICE on -10c and beyoand

- canton worse than on previous VAG

- automatic climate control works fine, except when i want moisture out. it does tend to keep feet are wet. usually full auto is good enough.

So mostly happy with the car. Driven about 6500km with no serious issues (the beeping). Calculated about 6cnt/km (0,06€/km) for my driving. Not much petrol used. 

Basically it's just a nice liftback with great daily expences. Perhaps not really worth the RS badge, but damn i like the mamba green :)

Hopefully next car will be fully electric. Not sure if possible in 5 years :)

On 07/01/2023 at 00:04, Felix2021 said:

Yes, that's a "feature" in all VAG cars since years. Had it in 5F Leon also.

Am not really sure what's the purpose of it though.

Point is to save the wipers. To keep them in different positions.

On 06/01/2023 at 10:50, SimonKent said:

The boot lid opens extremely high, you have to be a little careful in some underground carparks that it doesn't hit the ceiling (!) fair enough you can stop it before this happens with the button on the remote but you do have to be aware that this is a possibility.

You can save your "up" position by keeping the buttong pressed.

10 hours ago, timster said:

RS iV with challenge + pack

+ nice interior

+ dcc is great, use it daily depending on my mood

+ canton got somewhat better with update

+ powertrain is perhaps better in non-RS. I mean its quick, but 225 wide tires are useless :)

+ leather/alcantara seats are great, except the massage is almost useless.

+ infotaiment works nicely

+ electric boot works always

+ matrix lights are good

+ automatic steering wheel + seat heating is awesome

+ automatic lock open on approach.

- map guidance does not always give you the straightest route

- some beeps, just got steering wheel replaced

- really eager to start ICE on -10c and beyoand

- canton worse than on previous VAG

- automatic climate control works fine, except when i want moisture out. it does tend to keep feet are wet. usually full auto is good enough.

So mostly happy with the car. Driven about 6500km with no serious issues (the beeping). Calculated about 6cnt/km (0,06€/km) for my driving. Not much petrol used. 

Basically it's just a nice liftback with great daily expences. Perhaps not really worth the RS badge, but damn i like the mamba green :)

Hopefully next car will be fully electric. Not sure if possible in 5 years :)

You can save your "up" position by keeping the buttong pressed.

Yep that is about right,

11 hours ago, timster said:

Yes, i know that's the theory. But could be done in a bit different way, i.e. very slight movement up or down once in a while, not only when wipers are on. That would make more sense.

@timster that is 'simply clever',  if they can stop the filler flap freezing closed it will be brilliant.

?

Where did that gem about the wipers come from?

Has anyone a link to that, or is it from a Dealership employee of the kind that 'Has never seen that before', or 'they all do that'.

2.5k miles in a vRS TSi estate manual.

Good: Ride on the passive dampers is a good compromise between comfort & handling, gearchange good, chassis engaging if pressing on. A good ride overall and balances family with a bit of fun like no other big estate in the price bracket.

Bad: Infotainment has a poor UI and is a joke compared to my BMW's iDrive. The satnav rarely downloads any traffic data (occasionally at the start of a journey) and today tried to send me onto the A27 trunk road, which is closed all weekend! The matrix headlights can dazzle vehicles I'm passing on multi-lane roads (the dealer has seen the car twice and says all okay). The text on the (decent sized) drivers display is too small, for example the heat levels on the steering wheel are 3 small boxes which are filled to show on/off. The fill is measured in low single-digit pixels, so hardly safe to squint at when you should be driving. The touch-sensitive areas in the roof are overly sensitive and I have called breakdown assist when trying to operate the sunroof or switch on an interior light.

Overall: drives well, but minor electronics a disaster area. Enough to put me off another Skoda? I'm afraid yes, this is likely my last one after 3 decent ones beforehand. ☹️

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OverTheHill said:

The matrix headlights can dazzle vehicles I'm passing on multi-lane roads (the dealer has seen the car twice and says all okay).

You should not be using matrix headlights on multi-lane roads, just like you wouldn't be using full beam. 

• Like 1

Actually you can, granted you will check first if... satnav knows the road and sends that info to matrix controller. How it works, is that on multi-lane roads it knows, it should disable high beam on the right side (in UK, left side in mainland Europe), so that you're not dazzling cars coming from opposite direction, but still you get better visibility. Works perfectly on majority of highways in Poland, and at least some (i would assume all) in Germany.

3 hours ago, zetzet said:

You should not be using matrix headlights on multi-lane roads, just like you wouldn't be using full beam. 

When matrix headlights are fitted the only other options are sidelights or DRL which are not safe for nighttime driving where there are no street lamps - so I don't understand why you say matrix headlights should not be used on multi-lane roads?

1 hour ago, Felix2021 said:

Actually you can, granted you will check first if... satnav knows the road and sends that info to matrix controller. How it works, is that on multi-lane roads it knows, it should disable high beam on the right side (in UK, left side in mainland Europe), so that you're not dazzling cars coming from opposite direction, but still you get better visibility. Works perfectly on majority of highways in Poland, and at least some (i would assume all) in Germany.

And you even have the satnav option... 

1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

When matrix headlights are fitted the only other options are sidelights or DRL which are not safe for nighttime driving where there are no street lamps - so I don't understand why you say matrix headlights should not be used on multi-lane roads?

Using normal high-beams is not allowed, so why should matrix high-beams would be? Unless the road is completely empty and there is no one in front of you, then you can turn on high-beams and obviously matrix lights. 

Normal non high-beam Matrix lights are fine obviously... But they don't control the beam anyway.

Edited by zetzet

You can put Matrix lights to Sidelights and Dipped Beam and use the stalk to put on full beam. 

No need to have them left at 'auto'. 

When set on Auto and Matrix is working and full beam, nothing coming towards you, lights bright,  you can use 'Flash' and get even more lighting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zetzet said:

And you even have the satnav option... 

Bolero has built-in sat-nav, even if it's not visible for the user (however this option can be bought by user in Skoda shop). It has maps pre-installed, and car is using those maps for pACC, matrix headlights, AFS (ok, this option is enabled by default) and probably some other systems.

1 hour ago, Felix2021 said:

Bolero has built-in sat-nav, even if it's not visible for the user (however this option can be bought by user in Skoda shop). It has maps pre-installed, and car is using those maps for pACC, matrix headlights, AFS (ok, this option is enabled by default) and probably some other systems.

Well, my car has no traffic sign recognition or pACC or maps. Pretty sure you need to buy the full maps in the store to unlock it. Idk about the lights, never had the chance to use them on a local Lithuanian multi-lane road.

2 hours ago, zetzet said:

Well, my car has no traffic sign recognition or pACC

Doesn't matter, as long as you have Bolero (don't know if it's same for lower infotaiment). Maps are there, used in the background for some systems.

Edit: This is about Tuareg, but works same way in Octavia.

https://www.volkswagen.is/is/um-volkswagen/timarit/Headlights_Innovation_Technology.html

"Seventy-five LEDs are used for low and high beam. Seven front LEDs (in five reflector chambers) and three indicator LEDs are also available. All of them are activated for various intelligent lighting functions by the Touareg’s electronics. The decisive factors are signals from the front camera, digital map data from the navigation system, GPS signals, steering movement and current speed."

Edited by Felix2021

16 hours ago, zetzet said:

Using normal high-beams is not allowed, so why should matrix high-beams would be?

You didn't say high beams just matrix headlights :wall:

21 hours ago, zetzet said:

It's obvious that high beams shouldn't be used on ANY road when there are vehicles in front or coming the other way - but matrix headlights are not just high beam because of their adjustable beam pattern they can be either dipped beam, high beam or something in-between.

Edited by PetrolDave

2 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

You didn't say high beams just matrix headlights :wall:

It's obvious that high beams shouldn't be used on ANY road when there are vehicles in front or coming the other way - but matrix headlights are not just high beam because of their adjustable beam pattern they can be either dipped beam, high beam or something in-between.

Dipped beam doesn't do any matrix thing, it's just static. If you turn on high beams only then it becomes adjustable. 

8 minutes ago, zetzet said:

Dipped beam doesn't do any matrix thing, it's just static.

No, not really.

Dipped beam uses both modules. One that is only for dipped beam and gives flat line, and one that is used for high beam, which adds light on the right side (in EU, left side in UK). Also dipped beam can be dynamic, which means it "imitates" turning of the light, by using matrix segments.

Also both modules consist of multiple matrix segments.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Felix2021 said:

No, not really.

Dipped beam uses both modules. One that is only for dipped beam and gives flat line, and one that is used for high beam, which adds light on the right side (in EU, left side in UK). Also dipped beam can be dynamic, which means it "imitates" turning of the light, by using matrix segments.

Also both modules consist of multiple matrix segments.

Agreed, the matrix units have a flat component (fine) and use some of the dynamic/matrix emitters to provide the kerbside illumination / kick up to the left. It's the kick up that's causing the issue and this is true in both matrix adaptive mode and locked to dip. For the avoidance of doubt I don't bother with matrix on dualed roads as they don't detect oncoming traffic well with the armco blocking the view of vehicles on the other carriageway. I nearly always drive on dip and still have the issue of excessively high illumination by that component.

On 08/01/2023 at 14:45, toot said:

@timster that is 'simply clever',  if they can stop the filler flap freezing closed it will be brilliant.

?

Where did that gem about the wipers come from?

Has anyone a link to that, or is it from a Dealership employee of the kind that 'Has never seen that before', or 'they all do that'.

https://blog.caristaapp.com/front-wipers-alternating-parking-position-whats-behind-this-complicated-setting-s-name-f0f392a364fe

On 08/01/2023 at 15:00, zetzet said:

Hmm, when my car knows its on a highway, it only activates high beam on the "forest side".

1 hour ago, zetzet said:

Dipped beam doesn't do any matrix thing, it's just static. If you turn on high beams only then it becomes adjustable. 

"The headlights also provide different lighting modes for various situations and weather conditions, such as driving in the city, on the motorway or in the rain." 

https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/press-kits/skoda-octavia-press-kit-2/new-technology-shift-by-wire-full-led-matrix-headlights-as-well-as-numerous-new-safety-assistance-systems/ should do some changes even on low beam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, strudlovina said:

I was happy with my 2021 model year, delivered around April, until the Travel Assist and SOS assist bugs didn't start.

Hi,

1. In which conditions the bug started? Did the Instrument cluster display the following messages like "Travel Assist Unavailable" + "SOS failure" during that time? 

2. How often did this bug is replicated?
3. Did your car was stopped/parked and you just started the engine OR it was during driving(short trip OR long trip)?
4. Have you turned ON the Travel Assist function by using the dedicated button on the steering wheel before the trip? 
5. Do you have an OBD11 dongle to check for errors on the 19-Gateway module, especially B17B8F2: Steering Wheel Touch Recognition Control Module - Sensor malfunction DTC?

6. What did you do to get rig of the messages/errors OR they just "magically" gone away?

Br.

Edited by djmartzian

Just thought I would share my impressions after driven Octavia IV Style for half a year and a first long trip.

Overall, this car is a disappointment, more in brand than in car itself. It makes impression of having constant issues, minor or major, which can't get fixed.

Been to dealership 2 times to fix infotainment and TA failures, still having both once in a while. When started 3 weeks long trip (6300km), on the very first day had infotainment completely failed, even though it was changed already before. Later on TA and SOS failures started to come more often, which came to a point when on my last day of trip I was listening to dings and dongs up to 10 times per minute with only a few short breaks. Those were long 7 hours of driving which almost made me insane... So far it is the least reliable car I had and that is very frustrating. Every day I'm expecting something nasty to happen with its electronics again.

Boot lid is rattling again, even though it was fixed only 2 months ago.

Battery management has some weird logic in it and car does not allow to choose what I want to drive. I mean, even if I tell it to keep charge level stable, it still may drop 15 to 20% and then tries to charge it like crazy, giving 15L/100km on a highway. I figured that on long highway trips it is better not to charge battery at all, as it doesn't provide any benefit on speeds above 100km/h.

Weight balance and torque management of this car taught me how to push the accelerator very gently. A bit more power and wheels slip. And of course front tires are almost finished after just 20k due to that...

App is legendary useless. 9 out of 10 attempts to switch heating remotely (and this is only useful thing in this app, frankly) lead to errors and bug reports, if app even loads first of all.

But the most disappointing is that dealers just don't know or don't want to do anything. Weird high pitch noise from motor? Not a problem unless it breaks. Constant TA and SOS failures? We pretend we did smth, but actually there is no solution to that. Changing small part to make boot lid stop rattling which takes only 2 hours of work? We keep your car for a week in service. Ah, and of course we won't even install software updates, because... we won't unless something breaks and you'll have to wait again for 3 weeks for appointment and ride bus for a week, even though update takes just an hour.

Had Skodas before, was always happy with them. But now I think of selling this car before warranty expires and going to try something else. This car became quite expensive, and it looks nice, but for such a price there is too much headache and inconvenience with this car.

• Groan 1

Well, the 1.5TSI 6M Style at home is going back to the dealer tomorrow for it's first annual service. So, at a year old, the list of faults is zero, nada, zip. No rattles, squeeks, funny noises etc.

The primary users are happy and have no complaints.

• Love it! 1