Anyone actually happy with their MK4? 😂

@Edelawell, seems like your biggest issue is your delaership. Majority of issues been fixed already with software updates. I think only one that is not really fixed is capacitive steering wheel issue (TA/Emergency assist errors), but there's a TPI for that, saying that dealership should propose to user to temporarily disable TA, so no more errors will come. I guess they haven't even proposed that to you.

Try to find another dealership maybe?

Yes, VAG messed up badly with software in those cars (Octavia, Golf, Leon), but now most of the issues been fixed.

At least i'm enjoying the car very much, despite occassional TA error.

17 hours ago, djmartzian said:

1. In which conditions the bug started? Did the Instrument cluster display the following messages like "Travel Assist Unavailable" + "SOS failure" during that time? 

2. How often did this bug is replicated?
3. Did your car was stopped/parked and you just started the engine OR it was during driving(short trip OR long trip)?
4. Have you turned ON the Travel Assist function by using the dedicated button on the steering wheel before the trip? 
5. Do you have an OBD11 dongle to check for errors on the 19-Gateway module, especially B17B8F2: Steering Wheel Touch Recognition Control Module - Sensor malfunction DTC?

6. What did you do to get rig of the messages/errors OR they just "magically" gone away?

1. The bug started after approximately one year of ownership, the "Travel Assist Unavailable" + "SOS failure" started popping up sometimes multiple times in a row. The dealership replaced the steering wheel (with the heating option) and updated the software after that, the errors stopped.

After around 8 months after the new steering wheel the problems started again and this time the dealership said that they couldn't fix it and that I must wait for the new software update.

2. The bug appears every time the car is started after a minute or two of driving sometimes even on startup. 

3. It seems that the bug appears less frequently when the car is completely warmed up (after 10-15 minutes of driving) but it never disappears completely. And it happens less often on the highway than in city driving.

4. The bug happens regardless if I use the Travel Assist or not. 

5. I do not have the dongle.

6. The yellow lights for the Travel Assist and SOS Assist errors remain on for a minute or two then disappear, sometimes they disappear instantly. 

+ a couple of other observations, the error messages often coincide with me turning on the indicators in like 1 in 5 times. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, strudlovina said:

+ a couple of other observations, the error messages often coincide with me turning on the indicators in like 1 in 5 times. 

Thank you for all the details above.

What do you mean by "turning on the indicators" ? Can you give more informations?

15 hours ago, Edela said:

App is legendary useless. 9 out of 10 attempts to switch heating remotely (and this is only useful thing in this app, frankly) lead to errors and bug reports, if app even loads first of all.

The app complains are odd for me, since 9/10 it has worked for me. 

15 hours ago, Edela said:

Constant TA and SOS failures

Ask for a steering wheel replacement. Common fix for this issue. I sent a video of this issue and got almost instant reply to reserve a steering wheel replacement.

Edited by timster

5 hours ago, Felix2021 said:

@Edelawell, seems like your biggest issue is your delaership. Majority of issues been fixed already with software updates. I think only one that is not really fixed is capacitive steering wheel issue (TA/Emergency assist errors), but there's a TPI for that, saying that dealership should propose to user to temporarily disable TA, so no more errors will come. I guess they haven't even proposed that to you.

Try to find another dealership maybe?

Yes, VAG messed up badly with software in those cars (Octavia, Golf, Leon), but now most of the issues been fixed.

At least i'm enjoying the car very much, despite occassional TA error.

Yes, dealerships are one of the main issues I have with this car. But regardless, I'm on latest software at least for infotainment (1896), which doesn't prevent it from rebooting often or crashing completely sometimes. Went to two dealers, both claim car is up to date, and I only can wait for further updates. True that none offered me to deactivate TA system.

1 hour ago, timster said:

The app complains are odd for me, since 9/10 it has worked for me. 

Ask for a steering wheel replacement. Common fix for this issue. I sent a video of this issue and got almost instant reply to reserve a steering wheel replacement.

Skoda does not replace steering wheels anymore, and for a while already. The only answer from them is to wait for future updates.

And, speaking about the app and other messages from happy Octavia owners, that summarizes my frustration with the brand recently. I'm genuinely happy for those who have no problems with car and with app, but I can't comprehend why quality from one car to another is so different and approach to fixing issues is different as well, and why app behaves so differently for different users.

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Edela said:

Skoda does not replace steering wheels anymore, and for a while already. The only answer from them is to wait for future updates.

Got mine replaced less than two weeks ago.

44 minutes ago, timster said:

Got mine replaced less than two weeks ago.

Good to know, though It is against TPI issued a while ago. I will continue annoying dealers around, maybe I'll get lucky to have it replaced for me as well.

17 hours ago, Edela said:

Good to know, though It is against TPI issued a while ago. I will continue annoying dealers around, maybe I'll get lucky to have it replaced for me as well.

Provide them a video. Helped alot on my case.

• 1 month later...
On 10/03/2021 at 20:30, spearmg said:

Overall yes I am happy with mine. 

I have two issues:

1) High Beam Assist. There seems to be no agreement as to whether or not this can be added to my SE L First Edition. It would be nice but it is not really a problem to switch the stalk when necessary. I had it on my Superb and there were times when I had to override it anyway.

2) Km on the Sat Nav. This is a known issue which Skoda are working on - allegedly! More often than not I would use Google Maps anyway.

Car is lovely to drive and economical. Unfortunately due to the pandemic I have not done the miles I would usually do but before the second lockdown (?) end of October we did a long return trip from Essex to Yorkshire without any issues.

I’ve got a mk4 SEL and I’ve got the my Skoda app on my phone I didn’t have the high beam assist as standard I went to my Skoda app on my phone and went to the my Skoda shop on my phone where you can purchase packs for your car if it’s supported you vehicle!!!! I purchased the high beam assist for the Skoda online shop for £180 the it automatically downloads to your vehicle I think it for mk4 only on certain grades it should tell you at the checkout on purchase. Hope this helps 

3 hours ago, Bazz911 said:

I’ve got a mk4 SEL and I’ve got the my Skoda app on my phone I didn’t have the high beam assist as standard I went to my Skoda app on my phone and went to the my Skoda shop on my phone where you can purchase packs for your car if it’s supported you vehicle!!!! I purchased the high beam assist for the Skoda online shop for £180 the it automatically downloads to your vehicle I think it for mk4 only on certain grades it should tell you at the checkout on purchase. Hope this helps 

I wonder if you can get that on the SEL iV - i really wanted auto high beams but didnt fancy paying about £1.5K for the Matrix LED lights

Without wishing to tempt fate, I have to say I’m entirely happy with my Mk4 VRS petrol/DSG.

the only irritant was the fake noise, which has now been set to zero volume thanks to another forum member (you know who you are!) and all is well.

a recent motorway trip saw 51 mpg, which is only 10 less than my previous Superb 150 diesel did. But now I have the flexibility to drive “enthusiastically “ should I want to.

The car was delivered to dealer October 2022, and was running 1896 software on collection.

very happy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Simon667 said:

I wonder if you can get that on the SEL iV - i really wanted auto high beams but didnt fancy paying about £1.5K for the Matrix LED lights

I’ve got the high Beam cost £180 it was standard on my Hyundai Tucson premium se . I wanted the matrix lights they look so nice but no much I thought for lights I can’t see from outside 😁 so I upgraded to winter pack and alloy wheels & ambient lighting instead and upgraded to full leather and some other tech . Colour I’ve got is moon white very smart when clean 😁

• Haha 1

Matrix lights are really not about a Stylee thing and just how they look, but about how they perform for the car driver.  (Personally i love them.)

How what they light up looks to the vehicles driver.  And the way you get used to no longer dipping the headlights.

How they look when working is what affects other drivers and road users and pedestrians when it is dark.

When they are working correctly then there should be no issues, sadly there are many out there fitted to vehicles that are crap in how they function.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I loved my 68 plate 1.5tsi sel hatch apart from its rear boot hatch rattled from the start. On and off as well.

But my new vRS estate is game changing. Leagues ahead on build quality and perceived interior quality. I’m brand new to DSG and I am a fan of it 90% of the time but still crave a manual. All the people who’ve had a look round it have said the same - can’t believe this is a Skoda it’s actually desirable. It’s insanely comfortable and more refined and quiet on the road than my 1.5 was. I have DCC and it’s I think priceless - not tried one without but it rides so well whilst still being sporty. I’ve hung up my racing suit (civic type r, jcw cooper s, m3 and boxster s came before the family cars) but it still gives you some of that satisfaction without the drama. Hate the super quiet exhaust as many have said but I suppose in a way it’s good to not be shouty. The fact you can’t set the default driver mode is a massive annoyance surprisingly even though it’s only one button and a touch screen press away it does and will drive you mad too. The virtual dash is superb but I wish it was a bit more like my old Skodas to navigate through it’s far more distracting. Though to be fair maybe I’m not used it it yet. Rear estate boot doesn’t seem as big let alone bigger than my old hatch though what’s that about! It’s gonna be a long period of ownership all being well but up to now I feel great getting in to drive it which previously only my Porsche and BMWs have given me every single day I used them. Crap turning circle and my jcw was driven very very hard but still returned better MPG - actually going to stop now before I start regretting it after all 😂

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi, Where do I start...... Firstly, the 'Driver (suicide) Assist' package on my 2022 SEL is down right dangerous. 1) I've had the brakes slammed on for no reason other than I was driving through an motorway intersection where 2 motorways meet with no vehicles near mine. 2) Brakes slammed on when a substantial (safe) distance from the car in front - on a number of ocassions. 3) Car has followed joins / seams in road surface and not the road itself, causing prompt correction required by the driver (me). 4) Adaptive Cruise Control does not always detect that a lane change has taken place when overtaking the slower vehicle in front - abruptly slowing my car, and all the others behind me down to the same speed as the slow vehicle in the inside lane. 5) inane messages appear on screen for such a short time that they cannot be read - there to distract drive only, no other purpose. 6) Useless messages telling me to hold the steering wheel when I already am holding the steering wheel, and various other useless messages the pop up for a couple of seconds - just to distract the driver, no other purpose. That rant over. Next rant... Infotainment Centre randomly forgets radio station and selects the least liked station instead. Driving Mode selected must be re entered each time the car is driven - does not remember desired setting - unless that setting is 'normal'. 7) A/C changes the setting when it wants to change it. 8} I don't like that the ACC does not switch OFF when dropping down to a lower gear to approach a junction - it just stays at the same speed, in a lower gear at higher revs. 9) To adjust the ACC speed the switch has to be pushed in a different direction to that indicated on the control adjustment stalk and in the manual. 10) I previously owned from new a 2013 Rapid Liftback SE and can confirm that the boot storage space in the mk IV Octavia is muh less than the Liftback Rapid - which had a large storage space in with the spare wheel. Nothing like it in the Octvaia. Its so easy to see why Skoda killed off the Liftback Rapid as it was such a good all round car. Do I really need my headlights ON most of the day? - really???. ALSO beware that the bootlid on the saloon protrudes possibly more than the rear bumper. I expect many drivers will damage their bootlids in time. Car has been back to Dealers 3 times within 2 months to resolve all these 'issues' - which I'm informed by them are all working fine. Apart from those things listed its a great car to drive, and even safer to drive when there is heavy snow falling as the Driver (suicide) Assist cannot work when covered in snow. Good fuel consumption from a petrol engine. Comfortable drive, seats and package. Skoda would have been better to update the Liftback Rapid than hash the Octavia. Note:- I also previously owned from new a 2013 MKII Octavia 'Lauren Bacall' Estate for a few years, and the MKIV is not as good.

RORN1668[1].JPG

I'm very happy with mine, a couple of minor glitches one of which was the infotainment system saying loading settings infinitely, but that corrected itself and the front assist warning saying it's not available when I start the car, but that disappears as soon as I move the car.

But generally very happy with it. 

• Like 2

@NotAgainM8 seems most of your issues are not real issues, but things not working as YOU would like them to. And some of those are not even VAG/Skoda choice, but rather required by law. Like:

On 29/04/2023 at 14:14, NotAgainM8 said:

Driving Mode selected must be re entered each time the car is driven - does not remember desired setting - unless that setting is 'normal'

This behavior is required by WLTP certification. Car has to always default to the mode, that was used for certification. If VAG/Skoda would change it, they would not get cars certified.

On 29/04/2023 at 14:14, NotAgainM8 said:

Skoda would have been better to update the Liftback Rapid than hash the Octavia.

You're comparing two very, very different cars.

Rapid was based on old platform and was nowhere near Octavia when it comes to suspension, tech/ body rigidity etc.

My wife is driving 2013 Ibiza estate, which is based on same platform as Rapid. There's a HUGE gap between Ibiza and O4 in every aspect, of course in O4's favor.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

I'm very happy with mine, a couple of minor glitches one of which was the infotainment system saying loading settings infinitely, but that corrected itself and the front assist warning saying it's not available when I start the car, but that disappears as soon as I move the car.

But generally very happy with it. 

Do you get the amber warning light for the front assist or just the white one? The white symbol is completely normal while it calibrates the sensor during the first few metres of driving.

• Like 1

On 01/05/2023 at 17:06, TheWanderer said:

Just the white one. It vanishes within a few seconds of sitting there or metres of movement. 

It is normal in cold or wet mornings. The sensor in front gets some mist and when it clears it is working again. The sensor is actually heated (i think it has the funnel from engine wherewarm air gets). 

5 hours ago, TomTom88 said:

It is normal in cold or wet mornings. The sensor in front gets some mist and when it clears it is working again. The sensor is actually heated (i think it has the funnel from engine wherewarm air gets). 

No... The white indication has nothing to do with the sensor being dirty or otherwise impaired. Apparently this needs some clarification:

244758846_Screenshot2023-05-06170431.png.595c3b4aedfe60fcdf83cd1f371d9794.png Appears at most startups and goes away within 30 seconds. The front assist system is calibrating its detection and intervention points by scanning the area in front of the car.

847098994_Screenshot2023-05-06170716.png.5f8e55ca2976def5b68608d036a5181f.png This is what pops up when the sensor is dirty and front assist becomes unavailable.

• Like 3

I'm not quite unhappy with it, but to be fair after the most recent update it installed, my random crashes/reboots of the onboard entertainment (which is pretty much all systems) is an every journey thing. I mean I do so few miles lately (like less than 100 a week) and every trip in the last 2 weeks has included the random pings, pongs, pops and reboots. How can a manufacturer get this so wrong, dire!

First impressions after 1.5 months and 3500km:

1. Info system restarted a few times, but for the last two weeks it hasn't happened.

2. One day when accelerating faster, the engine started jerking. It felt like the DSG box could not figure out whether to move gears up or down. When pressing the gas pedal, it jerked and barely moved forward. At that moment, the check engine light flashed and the start-stop system error came on.

After turning the engine off and on, the problem went away but start-stop error disappeared only after standing for 1 hour with the engine off.

3. Lighting error happened twice. Couldnt tell why the error appeared but all the lights were working fine at that moment. After restarting, the error disappeared.

Overall, I really like the car and I am happy with the choice.

Dealer suggested to visit next time with engine running when errors appears.