Who knows their hinges?

Aspman

One of our small problems with out house is to do with the door hinges into our kitchen/family room.

In the design of the house we took down one dividing wall (non-loadbearing) to join the kitchen and family room together. So what we have now is a very wide slightly odd chaped room.

So on the wall in question we have a straight wall, then an angle, then another straight wall ‾‾\__ is as close as I can draw it but the angle is much shallower.

In the angle we have a double rebate door.

We would like the door to have 180 deg hinges so that they can be opened flat against the walls.

the problem we have is that to take down the dividing wall although it wasn't loadbearing we still had to beef up the frame around the double door to support the supper floor and prevent sagging.

So in the walls the door frame is pretty thick with stacked timbers.that is out of sight so isn't a problem but to give the strength the door frame is 6" thick timber not the normal 4".

Our builder (yeah he of many "What annoyed you today posts") says that he can't get any hinges that will work for a 6" think frame that don't look terrible. They look like hospital door hinges he says.

Does anyone have any suggestions of hinges, or hinge types that  would work with the thicker frame and give that 180deg opening?

If I understand this correctly you will have one (or two) doors closing flush into the wall reveal.  Will they have to open both ways (i.e. into and out of your room?

I have done a picture...

BLack = walls

Blue = door aperture 6" thick

Red = doors opening into room

Green = max opening of doors (ideal)

Grey arrows = direction of opening.

The doors will only open into the room. We want them to be able to close against the walls if we can.

Apparently there will be lights and heating controls behind one of the doors if it opens to teh wall but we're totally ok with this.

doors.png

13 minutes ago, Aspman said:

I have done a picture

Not what I first thought of, so pivot hinges probably won't work. Maybe look at "Hinge" on Wikipedia yourself and see if anything seems likely?

6 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

i may be being a bit thick, but... why will the normal hinges not work exactly? 

The door frame is too thick apparently.

I wondered why the doors couldn't be mounted  futher back towards the opening side, they'd look deeply recessed from the hall but I think that would be ok.

SO has banned me from speaking with the builder directly since she was worried I'd end up in court

• Like 1

Can't remember the name of them but there is a type of hinge that has the hinge point set away from the face of the door, this means that as the door opens it moves away from the wall to clear door frame, skirting board, etc.

1 minute ago, PetrolDave said:

Can't remember the name of them but there is a type of hinge that has the hinge point set away from the face of the door, this means that as the door opens it moves away from the wall to clear door frame, skirting board, etc.

Projection hinges?

37 minutes ago, Aspman said:

The door frame is too thick apparently.

I wondered why the doors couldn't be mounted  futher back towards the opening side, they'd look deeply recessed from the hall but I think that would be ok.

hes a twonk...

ours below..

20210412_170922.thumb.jpg.267d2f7a9cb0595c64acab53684b07fc.jpg

measuring tape in shed, and im mindin spud jr so ruler will have to do..

• Like 1

I'll pinch your picture ta

I'm sure I've seen other hinges as well which will do that and be hidden.

ref=psdc_1938434031_t1_B082F3N3C2https://www.amazon.co.uk/Invisible-Adjustable-Commercial-Residential-Industrial/dp/B07SZ6VHLS/ref=psdc_1938434031_t1_B082F3N3C2

Edited by Aspman

1 hour ago, Aspman said:

Bang on and the correct answer as far as I can see.  i get the feeling he's trying it on and can't be bothered thinking about it (either that or he's a crap builder - although strictly speaking any chippie should know how to fix them).

That style of hinge will open 180° against a 13mm architrave.

They are French or possibly Continental and are usually factroy fitted to doors pre-hung into a factory machined frame which simply needs shimming and screwing into place, no door hanging, no hinge rebating, no lock fitting (they are also prefitted) no fitting of door stops etc, its the only way we can buy doors here but the complete assembly costs less than just a plain door without frame, door furniture etc would in the UK, almost certain that the developers who built Macs house will have used them.

The hinges are available seperately though as below

https://www.quincaillerie.pro/produit/p152798/paumelle-paris-droite-bout-rond-140x55-mm-trous

Parliament hinges look good on traditional double hardwood internal glazed doors or French windows (the double patio doors), maybe too old fashioned for many decors.

• Like 1

No chippy in France would be able to hang a door other than an old school apprentice trained menuisier (cabinet maker) who would have made the door and the frame himself, in 40+ years probably a lot longer no tradesman has ever had any call to do so, every door is pre-hung in its frame.

You should see the butchery that goes on when a so called carpenter tries to fit a mortice lock or the butchery that goes on when they remove an old frame because they are incapable of fitting a new door to an old frame to replace a damaged one.

• Sad 1

correct on all fronts @J.R. though ours may be made (under license? ) in Ireland. could be wrong though.

my pic was as much to say hes an idiot saying a "4inch frame hinge" wont work in a 6 inch frame. 

all you may need is wider bead in the centre for the door to close against. 

it makes bogall difference to the hing how wide the bloody door frame is.

• Like 2

Just a quick thought; the left hand door in your diagram will need to open more than 180 degrees so you need to allow for this in your hinge selection and placement or you'll end up bursting the hinges.

1 minute ago, Wino said:

Hope this helps

But that's only 90 degrees ... (or I suppose 270 if you look at things from the other end).

• Like 1

Another option would be to join the two doors to each other in the middle to form a single folding door. You could then hinge that to the right hand wall so it all folds out the way.

I assume there is no way (eg it’s stud wall) to straighten the kink in the wall, such that a sliding pocket door is an option?

1 hour ago, MikeTheThinker said:

But that's only 90 degrees ... (or I suppose 270 if you look at things from the other end).

nah, faIr play to her, shes folded to about a 75deg apex.