Is any Octavia MK4 without fault?

Gax

One of my keys stopped working on Sunday. Thankfully I was at home and had access to my 2nd key - if it had happened a few hours earlier I'd have been stranded at Heathrow. 

I presume it's battery, but the car is only 10 months old.

23 minutes ago, Jamie82 said:

I presume it's battery, but the car is only 10 months old.

Kessy is a battery gobbler, 10 months life isn't unheard of and is commented on by owners of other Skoda models too.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

The age of a car as in when first registered is not how old the car is and age is no indication of how much a key battery has been used.   Simply clever to have a spare battery kept in the car.  The door can be opened with the key. 

It's not a bad idea, but I do wonder about some of the advances in tech like keyless or elec vehicles and the benefits they bring. I've never had to carry a spare battery since remote central locking was a thing, M116SSO Mondeo I think, I never had to shield my keys in a box or bag, I never worried about a vehicle unlocking its self or opening its windows (both have happened to me) because of some fault, and I heard recently about the need for a battery charger if you go away for a couple of weeks because some Hybrids don't have an alternator. 

I'm not against tech, I love some of the new features, It's just that I think sometimes they try and be too smart, keys that report back user stats or store data for example - and they have reduced battery life. Who actually benefits? My brothers toothbrush connects to his wifi and goes flat every couple of days, but it's a more expensive model than mine. he could go to an app and spend hours looking at the stats for his tooth brushing I suppose...

Rant over.

Edited by VRS_White_Hatch
WIFI was corrected to WIFE !!
  • Like 1

Main ones benefiting with plug ins are those paying less in tax.  Some less in fueling  They can write off cost of a fob battery with their tax saved.   Also Manufacturers are saving millions or billions in fines by being able to manipulate the emission figures by even not fitting a spare wheel as OEM equipment.    New tech, so much more kidology.   Low fuel consumption and higher oil consumption or fixed service oil change intervals with expensive oil in plug in hybrids. 

Edited by e-Roottoot

Had a new for me fault tonight, the head unit is seemingly dead. Doesn't respond to power cycling the car, infotainment, or anything logical. Which would be fine if some donut hadn't decided to put all of the systems controls into it..

It was working fine this afternoon as well, the only thing that happened is I left it parked on the drive in direct sunlight, but reading the IR temp off the surface the car, if it can't handle 30ish degree outside temp and 50ish car surface temp it's f-ing useless as a car in most countries, so it can't be that....can it?

4 hours ago, ellandterrier said:

Soooo, my replacement Cupra has exactly the same issues as the VRS i rejected.  Going back to the dealership next week, we have already pre-warned them about rejecting. Refreshingly the dealership said they had seen issues with the formentor which they managed to sort.

That's why I went for a Tiguan. I really like the VW quality over the Fords etc. but didn't want to risk the same problems on the new Golf, Cupra or even A3. In the end I went for the Tig and, aside from one minor niggle with predictive cruise control, it's been brilliant. My issue is that it can sometimes read roadsigns / map info in kph and set the ACC accodingly (40mph zone had ACC set to 25).

There is already a fix which can easily be applied but I don't want to give my local VW garage any time with my car as they (on the Skoda side of the fence) were so bad with the Octy issues.

I have an Octavia combi 1.0 Tsi eTec. Production date June 2021 with software version 1803.

Touch on wood, EVERYTHING WORKS!!!

I think they have sorted the issues. I have also travel assist and traffic jam assist. Works flawlessly.

Mobile app also works with remote lock/unlock.

Hope it gives some confidence to those who are worried.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IamSKOOCT said:

I have an Octavia combi 1.0 Tsi eTec. Production date June 2021 with software version 1803.

Touch on wood, EVERYTHING WORKS!!!

I think they have sorted the issues. I have also travel assist and traffic jam assist. Works flawlessly.

Mobile app also works with remote lock/unlock.

Hope it gives some confidence to those who are worried.

I'm wondering as a prospective owner whether some of the options are the root cause of these issues. However the constant list of the same issues is seriously putting me off buying one (RS).

An update on my issues:

AAC - Apparently they've done an few updates and at the moment in time, ACC seems to be behaving. I am yet to do some long runs so only time will tell. 

SOS System - I was getting the loud popping sound, like a fuse popping but so far, I've not had it happen again. 

Random braking (not emergency) - I know the car has some fancy front assist stuff and breaking when coming up to junctions etc but, my car was randomly putting the brakes on and bringing me to a complete stop in the middle of long straight roads. As with the other issues, this hasn't presented itself again. 

Losing connectivity - This wasn't something the dealer has looked at but it's happened twice in the 7 weeks I've had the car. I've had to resort to removing fuses to get the connectivity back and the dealer are saying i need to provide times when this is happening so they can check against server downtime. This response has really annoyed me, the fact that they're suggesting i just happened to replace the fuses at the exact moment the servers have come back up after some downtime 😂

Wireless Android Auto is a tough one, the brochures don't advertise it here in the UK (Not that i can see) but my argument is that it's p*** poor if some people with the same revision hardware as mine are getting theirs updated. The response I've had is that it wasn't advertised and Skoda say it's not possible so there's nothing we can do. 

I had found the dealer to be pretty good up until today, there were some hiccups initially but its the way they corrected these that made me feel like i was in good hands, unfortunately today's conversation has left me pretty pi***d off. 

5 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

I'm wondering as a prospective owner whether some of the options are the root cause of these issues. However the constant list of the same issues is seriously putting me off buying one (RS).

I was on the verge of ordering one from one of the car buyer sites, I'd specced up a vRS with heated screen, seats, leather, variable damping and got it to £28,800 - not an insignificant sale, but if I'm spending that kind of wedge I want it to work and not be back and too with the dealer. Decisions decisions. 

Im not bothered about adaptive cruise, lane assist etc, I find I'm a worse driver when I don't concentrate as much. 

• Like 1

DCC & ACC are musts for driving down to the West, Heated Windscreen is a must living out in sticks for icy days.

I agree wholeheartedly that when you're paying serious money for a car it should work faultlessly, mine has started playing up again. 

Now thinking about BMW instead. 

Edited by TheWanderer

On 05/09/2021 at 20:51, Vocnorth said:

Mines the 1l,. Has plenty of issues including randomly slamming on the brakes for imaginary crashes, dragging me off the road following random lines, infotainment system is entirely useless. So many bugs in it and randomly fails to fire up.

It's also developed a nasty whiny sound. Like the gearbox is about to fail. Finally snapped tonight and I'm going to the dealers with a face on tomorrow and playing hell.

Massive sympathy. Mine did similar. I hope you get it sorted.

• Like 1

I am in the glitchy "first edition" club. Infotainment problems, airbag lights, massively oversensitive lane assist that keeps pushing me to the right when pass bus stops and junctions, brake assist faults and on 2 occasions the handbrake hasn't released.

Attempting to return it. 7 1/2 weeks since the dealer received my letter. Skoda customer resolutions say the dealership have agreed the return of the vehicle but seem to be stalling on the paperwork. Seems like they are taking the full 8 weeks and won't resolve it a day before. 

8 hours ago, Mark4disaster said:

I am in the glitchy "first edition" club. Infotainment problems, airbag lights, massively oversensitive lane assist that keeps pushing me to the right when pass bus stops and junctions, brake assist faults and on 2 occasions the handbrake hasn't released.

Attempting to return it. 7 1/2 weeks since the dealer received my letter. Skoda customer resolutions say the dealership have agreed the return of the vehicle but seem to be stalling on the paperwork. Seems like they are taking the full 8 weeks and won't resolve it a day before. 

There seems to be a misunderstanding on the process.  

A rejection request letter lists faults, gives the supplying dealer one chance to fix them (not multiple attempts, or only fixing some), if they don’t 100% fix then when you go in to collect car, don’t have to accept it.  Can just offer your debit card to process the refund there and then.

The time wasting excuses are just that, outside the basic consumer protection law.  You have no contract with Skoda UK, the dealer has a commercial (business) contract with Skoda. It’s unconnected to your (retail) sales contract with dealer.  Any waffle they need approval from Skoda is just a lie, how and when they get reimbursed by Skoda UK is not your concern, their commercial contract covers that.

There is no reason why your rejection should be delayed.  If you have a separate contract with finance company you may need to settle that.  The dealer might have been an introducer (helped arrange a contract between you and the finance Co), but if so any ongoing connection there is also irrelevant.  

If you have financed the car, Phone the finance Co and check what type of deal you have, let them know you are rejecting, they will let you know if you settle direct, or can keep the finance running as a loan unconnected to a specific vehicle, in which case can use it for any car (doesn’t have to be same dealer, or even same car brand).   For clarity in certain types of finance the finance Co owns car, not you until it is paid for.  If it is one of these they will need to be involved in the rejection to ensure they get reimbursed.  If you are unsure of type,  just ask finance Co when you phone them (they are regulated, by Finance Regulator, so staff on phone need to be accurate).

If the dealer is still messing about, use direct method, walk in, stick both keys on salesman’s desk, and ask if they would like your debit card to process refund.  And yes the card machine on his desk can also do instant refunds (probably will require a refund PIN to be entered by dealer, but should have your money in few seconds).  The card machine refund receipt is normally the only paperwork the customer needs.   Get your refund, then if dealer wants to take 7 weeks to do his internal paperwork that’s their problem.  

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

ask if they would like your debit card to process refund

I am not from the UK so this does not concern me directly, but aren't their limits on the amounts that can be transferred this way?

And wouldn't 30,000+ pounds be outside those limits?

1 hour ago, DaveFromSydney said:

I am not from the UK so this does not concern me directly, but aren't their limits on the amounts that can be transferred this way?

And wouldn't 30,000+ pounds be outside those limits?

Yes, cards have different limits, but offering debit card it is more to force the issue and show you are serious about getting a refund today, not in few weeks time.    

In UK can also make an instant bank transfer (officially within 2 hours, but normally within minutes) by just entering recipients bank sort code, account number and account name (handily this info is printed on the front or back of debit card).  Limits vary by bank, but mine (personal account) is £49,999. Anything bigger and need to do a CHAPS payment.   So no problem get funds returned same day.   If the dealership needs to borrow to fund the refund that is their problem, not yours.

Edited by SurreyJohn

1904011686_WhatsAppImage2021-09-10at09_37.13(2).thumb.jpeg.e1852552efb2dd60a2d93ec3377eddf5.jpeg774891192_WhatsAppImage2021-09-10at09_37_13.thumb.jpeg.54c9f3d55185eff346bb2026368d0825.jpeg

Took delivery of ex-demo VRS last week.

Apart from a fairly naff experience with the main dealer who sold it to me as a distance sale, so far so good.  I'm still waiting on a few smart repairs etc for cosmetic issues they ommitted to tell me about, but wondered if anyone else has had the following two issues:  

1.) Door sill / kick plate lettering worn off - you can literally rub it off with a finger hence it looks very tatty - awaiting replacement parts from the dealer to fix this.

2.) Cupholder with some of the springy arms retracted and not coming out - does anyone have a quick fix for this?  (And yes, that picture is how clean it was when it was delivered...)

Not had any major issues with infotainment or other systems so far

2 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Yes, cards have different limits, but offering debit card it is more to force the issue and show you are serious about getting a refund today, not in few weeks time.    

In UK can also make an instant bank transfer (officially within 2 hours, but normally within minutes) by just entering recipients bank sort code, account number and account name (handily this info is printed on the front or back of debit card).  Limits vary by bank, but mine (personal account) is £49,999. Anything bigger and need to do a CHAPS payment.   So no problem get funds returned same day.   If the dealership needs to borrow to fund the refund that is their problem, not yours.

The bank transfer part is the same here but even then the limit was too small to xfer $60000 in one day, so I got a bank cheque - just as I would have done 40 or 50 years ago, except that back then I did not have the money to buy a car for cash