Why are people still ordering Octavia IVs?

I'm genuinely puzzled by this one.

If you don't go near this forum and you believe the motoring press I could understand it, but folk on this forum must be aware of all the problems and the abysmal response from both Skoda Dealers and Skoda UK, yet some are still queuing up to buy - as witnessed in 'Deliver times?' thread.

Of all the threads viewed in parallel it's these two that I cant reconcile.

Delivery times?

How many have rejected or are in the process of rejecting?

I have to assume that many of the people on the former thread have either:

1. Not noticed the latter.

2. Dismissed the issues as trivial.

3. Know of the issues but have faith that Skoda will sort it all out in the end.

Myself, I don't think the issues sound trivial and I can't really have faith that a genuine fix immanent.

For the future what I am looking for from Skoda is a demonstrable commitment to prototype testing - I know foolishly optimistic.

• Like 1

I ordered Octavia RS 245 TSI a few weeks ago, even though I've read all the problems in this forum, Czech forum, Polish forum and German forum. As far as I can tell most of the problems are gone by now and the ones that are remaining aren't too common and don't really cause you to stop on the side of the road. Sure it might get annoying if they happen too often, but I'm taking this risk, because I bought this car for the powertrain, there are simply no competitors for the price. Kia offers a 1.6 petrol 150kw with a dry clutch, or I could have gone for the i30N with the wet clutch, but that car is more expensive, smaller and doesn't have all the equipment Skoda gives. 

Apart from a slightly slow infotainment system mine has been golden so far, 3k miles in and 2 months layer, it is booked in this Friday for 3 software updates, whether this will help I don't know, as far as I'm concerned better than the Jag and Merc I owned previously 

• Like 2

I suppose it depends on individual peoples level of expectation, problems they are willing to risk having, or problems they are prepared to live with if they strike.

I appreciate @TheUltraRunner saying not all cars have issues, and I do not dispute that at all, but nobody knows until they have their car whether theirs will or won't have issues. So that doesn't totally explain people still ordering them.

Try as we might, for MONTHS still nobody on this forum has identified a hardware/software combination, version numbers, and build dates that will guarantee NO problems. So, anyone reading this forum and still ordering a MK4 is taking a risk, pure and simple, as there is no way whatsoever of knowing what you will receive.

In all honesty, if I had read this forum and had not yet owned a MK4 in all likelihood I could see me taking a chance on one as well, as we all think nah it won't happen to me! So I can't blame people.

The reality was that in 20 years of driving I just got out of the single worst five months of car ownership and customer care I have ever experienced in those 20 years.

What can I say though, I have a Superb on order, so I am still staying with Skoda. What is that Obi Wan Kenobi quote about 'the fool'.....?!

Edited by Gax
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gax said:

Try as we might, for MONTHS still nobody on this forum has identified a hardware/software combination, version numbers, and build dates that will guarantee NO problems. So, anyone reading this forum and still ordering a MK4 is taking a risk, pure and simple, as there is no way whatsoever of knowing what you will receive.

There are a lot of people who don't go to forums and just drive their cars. Also almost no cars have no problems, especially brand new builds on new platform. 

• Like 1

I have a perfectly good nearly 5 year old Mk3 Octavia, and having had a previously fault laden Polo, I know what it’s like to have a car that is unreliable. It is so frustrating! 

The mkIV was always going to be my next car, but having read all the issues with them, I’m not prepared to take the risk right now. Having driven both Scala and Kamiq, neither I felt were as well built as my tank like Mk3. Having a DSG to contend with doesn’t  help with the experience when your used to manual. I also don’t want a digital cockpit or touchscreen heating controls.

So for the time being, my monthly payments are staying in my savings account and no mkIV on the horizon. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, zetzet said:

There are a lot of people who don't go to forums and just drive their cars. Also almost no cars have no problems, especially brand new builds on new platform. 

Of course, yeah.

I myself only found and joined the forum after becoming frustrated with daily errors.

I disagree on new builds mind! That is twice now I have ignored my old man's advce never to buy a new version of a car. I had a poor experience with the brand new MG ZS when it was launched, with a recurring fault the dealer could not replicate but kept happening to me, and then the MK4 Octavia.

I will never be first in on a new model ever again.

Edited by Gax

@Gax I totally understand you. I'm not sure what would I do if my car would have so many issues as some of you guys have. Especially the ones which are life threatening. I would also guess a lot of issues are connected to the UK and driving on the left side of the car. But as you said. Nobody knows for sure. Since also some of the newer cars have issues.

Still, as already mentioned. I'm pretty sure there is a lot more mk4 Octavia owners who don't have any major issues. Since people usually only seek help or advice when they have issues.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pepper said:

I love the car itself and I'm glad I bought it. That said, the stereo etc is an absolute joke, shocking number of minor issues and very poor usability.

I would say whether you like the system or not depends also on personal preference and expectations. I already got used to it. Ok, some thing could be done differently. But I already don't miss the physical buttons for AC for example. I use the Auto mode all the time and I'm only changing the temperature. And it works great.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TheUltraRunner said:

AC for example. I use the Auto mode all the time and I'm only changing the temperature

Likewise, but in my car the physical buttons stay still enough that I can adjust the demand temperature whilst driving.

In my case it’s all OK.I change the car every 5 years from new. I own in the past  Octavia MK2 then MK2 FL follow by MK3 RS all diesel and now MK4 TSI. Till now no issue with Skoda. But I never buy the model when was launched. With new one(made in Dec 2020 in the end of the month)) I have 4500Km and no issue till now just minor error with sensors  when was heavy snow. Beside the consumption (after diesel) its high but I press the pedal more than before. I don’t know in percentage what mean this issue .They sell lot off cars so 1000 issue maybe not have so big impact. Yes its bother me boot time and the setting go to normal every time and have to set again. But it’s not a major issue for me. Maybe I’m the lucky one.

I certainly wouldn't be going near a new Octavia if I were replacing at the moment (just got a S/H Kodiaq and specifically avoided the Octy) as there are too many issues across the VW group with the tech (apart from the fact that the front of the new Octy is rather fugly)

I loved the look of the new RS, but based on what I read, I decided to get one of the last Mk3's (2020 plate). Also, I wasn't happy with the quality of the cloth seats- so Alcantara was a must for me (Children and dog in tow...).

I generally would always let the first version go, and pick up the next where 'things' are ironed out.

• Like 1

I know everyone has had different experiences with the new Octavia but for me I feel that Skoda have let their loyal customers down badly by releasing a car with so many issues. As I've said many times, they know how to make a good car i.e. the mk3 Superb, but so many things on the new Octavia just haven't been designed or tested properly. I don't think I'll give them another chance when my lease is up which is a pity as my local service and sales dept are really good but there's only so much you can do with a bad product.

1 minute ago, 5koda51mon said:

As I've said many times, they know how to make a good car i.e. the mk3 Superb, but so many things on the new Octavia just haven't been designed or tested properly.

It was just poor timing for the release of a new model, pandemic, electric cars coming out, pressure from VAG ****up with emissions which lead to cost cutting.  Look at the Mk8 Golf, it didn't even get better compared to MK7.5, while Octavia at least has some advantages compared to MK3 (as long as they work).

At least if 'Skoda', as a broad brush stroke encompassing the supply chain, had taken the bull by the horns and dealt with their mess some of us may have had our cars fixed and kept them.

Instead many/most/(all?) of us who raised it with our dealerships have essentially had:

Dealership - not our fault, we are just the retailer.

Skoda UK - not our fault, we are just the importer.

Skoda/VW HQ's - silence.

The estimated fix dates given by Skoda UK keep moving, there is no assurance Skoda in CZ are even working on this.

Software updates seem to trickle down, but without a comprehensive spreadsheet put together covering all of our different vehicle specs, radio types, software versions, problems experienced, software update version no's, etc etc there seems no way of establishing whether any single person who had issues has had a fix that removed all of them.

A forum of course being a forum, as rightfully pointed out by @TheUltraRunner as being a place people come to when they have issues, there are several usernames that reported issues when I registered here, but I think they have disappeared. Who knows if they got fixed up, rejected their cars, or just vanished from the forum.

I may be wrong, someone may have reported receiving a definite 100% fix, but I don't recall any.

I am sticking around as I am finding the Superb forum useful even before I get the car, and I don't mind anyone asking me about my faults and reject etc if they're unsure.

And I don't want to put people off buying a MK4 either, if you can get one that is fault free they are amazing cars. 

Edited by Gax

9 minutes ago, Gax said:

At least if 'Skoda', as a broad brush stroke encompassing the supply chain, had taken the bull by the horns and dealt with their mess some of us may have had our cars fixed and kept them.

Instead many/most/(all?) of us who raised it with our dealerships have essentially had:

Dealership - not our fault, we are just the retailer.

Skoda UK - not our fault, we are just the importer.

Skoda/VW HQ's - silence.

The estimated fix dates given by Skoda UK keep moving, there is no assurance Skoda in CZ are even working on this.

Even if they are, look at how production is impacted by chip shortages, if you need to make a revision of just one board or a couple of them you're pretty much screwed and set back in line to wait for months. They already can't complete cars, making revisions of hardware is even harder. It sucks for the customers, but that's the world we live in, always lands on the customer. 

I ordered mine before finding this forum and reading about all the issues. If I had seen it before, probably would have looked for alternatives.

My expectation is that a more recent build would have less or no issues. Also, I'm not in the UK, so the kmh/mph issue does not apply.

Picked it up today, and only on a short drive everything seems great! But time will tell...

7 hours ago, Gax said:

Of course, yeah.

I myself only found and joined the forum after becoming frustrated with daily errors.

I disagree on new builds mind! That is twice now I have ignored my old man's advice never to buy a new version of a car. I had a poor experience with the brand new MG ZS when it was launched, with a recurring fault the dealer could not replicate but kept happening to me, and then the MK4 Octavia.

I will never be first in on a new model ever again.

Always been good advice but at this point in time, more so than ever.

Similar experience to @DManel, picked up the car (SEL FE Hatch 1.5 TSI) last week as an upgrade from a Mk II Octavia VRS TDI Estate.

So far very happy with the car and very impressed with it. It does have the KPH/MPH issue but being in the UK, and using Android Auto, I can hold on and wait for the fix.

It does jump a little on the first acceleration off the drive but once in second gear it's fine and doesn't do it again. I may request a check for any ECU upgrades at the next service. 

No other major issue to report and crossing my fingers it stays that way!

I've had mine since January and done 3000 miles due to lockdown. 

Minor niggles with infotainment that are easily fixed, the joys of something so modern really. Had to do similar on my Passat which I had previously. 

Forums are always going to be filled with problems, it's why most people find them after all. 

Living the Octavia otherwise and I'd certainly buy it again even though I loved my Passat. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

VW group need to get in youngster then to do the easy fixes because they seem to not be capable even though they are the biggest car manufacturers in the world.

The problem is that these systems in cars are all proprietary and a lot of the stuff is baked in to the hardware design, if your hardware is flawed there is only so much you can do software wise. And another thing is finding the problem and replicating it, there are so many modules with so many different states/sensors/inputs, replicating the issue takes a lot of time and then fixing it without breaking something else takes even more. 

The MQB Evo platform is all new and it seems like it was rushed, because of all kinds of reasons.