About to order a VRS which is the best engine?

Hi all been in the superb group for the last 18 months or so but im coming back and about to commit to a order for a brand new VRS estate, im torn between engines though, I know most say it depends how much you drive etc, my driving varies year to year some years i can do sub 10k and others closer to 20k. 

Also thinking about residuals as im going down the PCP route, are the petrol and diesel options going to suffer with the proposed bans coming? and then is the Hybrid a good enough option to even go for? i use the full space of the car alot picking bulky stuff up etc and car parts. 

Im currently owner of a mk2 vrs tfsi which i will sell on if i go down the petrol route and prob buy a diesel work horse for my tools etc, also have a superb sportline 150tdi 

All opinions welcome thanks 

Cheapest and more fun - manual petrol.  That's what I have ordered which is to be built next week (incl panoramic roof and front winter pack). Four year PCP.  Can see me ordering an all electric next time though when tech has been refined and improved.  Meantime 245 petrol is efficient enough - got 42mpg out of a long run.  It'll be quite a while before fossil fuel cars and petrol stations disappear.

Firstly not aware of anywhere that is proposing to ban euro6 engined vehicles

The hybrid makes sense for all journeys (and particularly short journeys providing you have home charger), rather pointless is you do not have charger at either home or work.

The diesel seems to need more maintenance when it gets older, so not great idea if you intend to keep it, and there are questions over the reliability of emissions equipment (which can be very expensive to repair if it goes wrong)

Petrol seems to be a safe choice, and won’t suffer from city folk commenting on the rattle.

Remember all the latest new cars engine mapping seem to work better with DSG boxes, not that many bigger cars are sold with manual boxes anymore, so anything manual is probably older gearbox design biding it’s time until they finally retire it.

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Like 2

Thanks guys, I am leaning towards to 2.0 TSI DSG the more i look into it, the real world mpgs seem fantastic especially with the 245bhp at your toes. (i know the hybrid is the same but the weight gain and space loss concerns me a little) 

So unless dealer changes my mind it looks as if ill be going hyper green 2.0 tsi dsg with front winter pack, towbar prep, maybe one or two other options as much as id love a pan roof just think ill pass i seen a fair few issues with the mk3 roof and dont want the hassle even if it will be covered by warranty. 

Cheers again and any other opinions all welcome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SurreyJohn said:

Firstly not aware of anywhere that is proposing to ban euro6 engined vehicles

Oxford  ZEZ in Oxford city centre from next month (August 2021) isn't (yet...) a ban but a charging zone

https://www.oxford.gov.uk/info/20299/air_quality_projects/1305/oxford_zero_emission_zone_zez

Edited by PetrolDave

1 hour ago, Dan Welburn said:

the real world mpgs seem fantastic especially with the 245bhp at your toes.

Much as I love the car (and dislike the infotainment system) I can't say my MPGs are all that good. I have the 180kw, 2 litre, RS Wagon and I am not seeing figures in the 50s like some people. Perhaps in ideal circumstances on a long stretch of motorway at a constant speed it might ?

But for me it is typically 10-11 litres/100km (26 MPG) around the city (short trips but no traffic jams) and the best I saw on a long drive with a lot of motorway cruising was 7 litres/100km (40 MPG).

Even with my Golf Alltrack, which is a similar car from VAG with a 1.8 litre 132kw engine  and almost 200kg lighter, the best I get is 5.8 litres/100 km (48 MPG) cruising the motorway with cruise control at 100 km/h.

I suppose it is good for a relatively high performance car with a turbo engine. My previous car was a 2001 Honda S2000 which has virtually the same amount of power in a lighter body and no matter how I drove it, in the city or the country or the motorway, it got between 9 and 11 litres/100km. (On the track it was a different story - 20 litres/100 km. I would have to fill up in the middle of a track day.)

Edited by DaveFromSydney
  • Like 1

Same here with the mpg. I drive either on motorway or in town. No country B roads where you can drive 60mph where you can get mpg in the 50s. :biggrin: And I'm happy with that. I have basically the same mpg with the RS as I had with 2003 Honda Accord with 156 HP petrol engine. And that's perfectly fine. :inlove:

Just ordered a VRS iV Estate in Red Velvet.

Not 100% sure when its due yet, they said around September but the delivery times seem a bit long for others, so we shall see.

Will miss my Superb in some ways though, but you have to move on.

I moved from the Superb sportline 184 dsg to the VRS petrol. Totally different feel , quieter sometimes electric quiet , so much smoother in running. You will appreciate the diff im sure and those 19" wheels dont hamper th drive or make it overly thumpy. If you asked me , if not the VRS what else would you go for. That would be a hard Q and i might have thought of an N30 but the Octy has the looks 

I've now done 1678 miles in my tsi dsg at an average of................................29.4mpg.

Longer journey in a week or 2 so will see if it's any better then.

Wouldn't swap it for a diesel though. Soooooooooooooo smooth and quiet. Maybe a bit too quiet for a sporty car?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, GreenlineIIEstate said:

I've now done 1678 miles in my tsi dsg at an average of................................29.4mpg.

Longer journey in a week or 2 so will see if it's any better then.

Wouldn't swap it for a diesel though. Soooooooooooooo smooth and quiet. Maybe a bit too quiet for a sporty car?

It is super smooth but far too quiet, the sooner a decent exhaust becomes available the better!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, GreenlineIIEstate said:

Without the sound generator I would think I'm driving an EV! :rofl:

• Like 1

I have the petrol 2.0 RS wagon here in Oz. I've just done a 600km basically all freeway  drive with zero traffic (thanks covid) . My tripmeter showed 6lites/100km for the trip which I was pretty happy with. I can't see it getting any better than that. It is super quiet, and very comfortable to drive,  feels like a limo 🤪

20210708_204423.jpg

Edited by Kodatheskoda

Guys i test drove an IV yesterday at Lookers Skoda in Newcastle upon Tyne and am sold, the IV is the route i am taking, i was sooo surprised with the blend between power and efficiency. Looks like my order will be going in tomorrow once ive let a few dealers fight over my order lol. Always looking to get the most i can for my money. 

Dan

• Love it! 1

13 hours ago, Supe said:

2.0 TSI,not so bad consumption🤔

In 7th gear doing 90 kmph. Show us the consumption on a highway doing 140-150 kmph 😉

55 minutes ago, Dan Welburn said:

Orders in, deposit paid 14 weeks eta lead time, lets hope this microchip shortage eases off soon, 

thanks for all the input guys

A friend just ordered a VRS TDI today and delivery date was set to April 2022. :o

11 hours ago, TheUltraRunner said:

A friend just ordered a VRS TDI today and delivery date was set to April 2022. :o

9-10 months might be correct now, but there is a risk the specifications will change with these long lead times.

TDI is now a rare car in UK, last months car sales figures show just 8.1% were diesel in UK, previous June was 15% so diesel is now a niche in UK

• Like 1