Software

3 hours ago, timster said:

Should it?

When the traction battery charge level becomes too low it should drop into hybrid mode, but initially the traction battery charge level will be low enough that it will effectively be ICE mode until the traction battery has been 'topped up'.

Hello everyone,

The fact: to update the software for the skoda service it takes approx. 2 hrs / update for them (mine requires at least 3 different updates). To update the software from the car for us it takes couple mins max.

The question: Why is it longer?

6 hours ago, timster said:

Should it?

I cant remember where I read it but the car is suposed to be able to use the sat nav route to work out how to efficiently swap between battery and petrol. If it doesnt do that you end up with the situation I had, where 90% of the journey is on petrol and you only get 40 ish mpg. 

I remember someone posting on here that they got 100+ mpg on a long run. No where near the 200+ mpg quoted by skoda but a lot better than 40mpg I got.

If I find a link to how it is supposed to work I will post on here.

I am not sure how to link between posts but its worth while reading a post titled - The good, the (not so) bad and definitely not ugly Octavia iV Estate.

People on there are quoting figures such as 96mpg and 800 miles on a tank. I think I had about 60 miles before a top up was required and covered 300 miles, not very good in comparison given the premum that comes with a hybrid.

Hi, my car is currently doing an update as we speak. It download today and now when I turned the car off it said to remove all things from car, not to drive it etc for 30 minutes. So I hit ok shut the door and looked. Then once locked text and a progress bar appeared on the centre screen. Fingers crossed it will run again......going to leave it an hour to be safe then I'll check it and update here. Photo blurry sorry as dark and through window.

IMG_20220121_193617.jpg

1 hour ago, ScottieJ said:

I cant remember where I read it but the car is suposed to be able to use the sat nav route to work out how to efficiently swap between battery and petrol. If it doesnt do that you end up with the situation I had, where 90% of the journey is on petrol and you only get 40 ish mpg. 

I remember someone posting on here that they got 100+ mpg on a long run. No where near the 200+ mpg quoted by skoda but a lot better than 40mpg I got.

If I find a link to how it is supposed to work I will post on here.

The sat nav should help with determining what the best use of the battery is, but only  if you set your destination. It will always start in battery mode and you always have to change to normal mode physically by yourself.  This is because the software is crap and not fit for purpose. Or maybe because of diesel gate the car always needs to start in electric to meet the emissions requirements. 

1 hour ago, Ad@m said:

Hi, my car is currently doing an update as we speak. It download today and now when I turned the car off it said to remove all things from car, not to drive it etc for 30 minutes. So I hit ok shut the door and looked. Then once locked text and a progress bar appeared on the centre screen. Fingers crossed it will run again......going to leave it an hour to be safe then I'll check it and update here. Photo blurry sorry as dark and through window.

IMG_20220121_193617.jpg

Update complete........still no difference, still cr@p. I even locked the car after restarting and it lost my settings again. Time for yet another dealer visit.

IMG_20220121_212010.jpg

IMG_20220121_211939.jpg

4 hours ago, mr44 said:

Hello everyone,

The fact: to update the software for the skoda service it takes approx. 2 hrs / update for them (mine requires at least 3 different updates). To update the software from the car for us it takes couple mins max.

Because till now (see Ad@m's post above) only small updates were installed OTA (over the air) and all major updates needed to be installed in the garage. 

But for the last month quite a few owners reported to get this (a bit larger) OTA update which takes apparently 30 minutes to install.  

• Love it! 1

15 hours ago, mr44 said:

Hello everyone,

The OTA updates are minor patches, but the updates the dealer does are full updates.

Apparently Seat and VW are already beta testing 1890 version of the software which is pretty good. Can't find any news on the Skoda side though. Hopefully it works as advertised and soon.

Edited by zetzet
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, zetzet said:

Apparently Seat and VW are already beta testing 1890 version of the software which is pretty good. Can't find any news on the Skoda side though. Hopefully it works as advertised and soon.

Just a prelude to further problems. VAG have some serious engineering issues and without staff changes these will continue.

3 hours ago, byteme said:

Just a prelude to further problems. VAG have some serious engineering issues and without staff changes these will continue.

It feels more like a management issue. The software isn't some complicated new thing, it just needs to be optimized with correct management of resources you wouldn't even need that many people to do it, but it's taking them years. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, zetzet said:

It feels more like a management issue. The software isn't some complicated new thing, it just needs to be optimized with correct management of resources you wouldn't even need that many people to do it, but it's taking them years. 

I don't disagree but their problems extend well beyond software and right up to their most premium brands.

The main problem is VAG took their software in house, ever since then there have been problems throughout the whole group. It's so frustrating for us owners, but also for us working on VAG group cars daily. 

18 hours ago, Ad@m said:

The main problem is VAG took their software in house, ever since then there have been problems throughout the whole group. It's so frustrating for us owners, but also for us working on VAG group cars daily. 

That wouldn't normally be a problem, the software before this move was good so if the management worked correctly they would have poached all the right people for the switch to internal software from the companies that developed MIB2 and all the Audi software prior to that. 

People who move to work for VW group have to think of keeping a supply of soap on a rope.  The VW board see hear and say nothing and it is Rogue Engineers or minions that take the fall.    The VW boss is off taking the head of a software business and the Skoda boss is landed with the headache that is the VW group.     

9 minutes ago, roottoot said:

People who move to work for VW group have to think of keeping a supply of soap on a rope.  The VW board see hear and say nothing and it is Rogue Engineers or minions that take the fall.    The VW boss is off taking the head of a software business and the Skoda boss is landed with the headache that is the VW group.     

This. VW don't poach anybody competent because anybody competent knows their reputation. Recruiters have to resort to slimy tactics (hiding the employer until after the phase 1 interview usually) to get devs into those positions.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, roottoot said:

BS on testing really as Skoda must have decided that will do for now just lets cars out and first registered and stuff can get updated later.

Tesla does that too, but they are applauded for it. 🤣 

• Haha 1

Tesla are in trouble in some world regions for Heat Pump failures out of warranty.  

Also for Software that they have had to provide because what the customer had received was not what they believed they were buying and paying for.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/24/22451101/tesla-fine-norway-throttle-battery-charging-speed

https://www.thedrive.com/news43915/tesla-issues-quick-fix-after-tesla-report-heaters-failing-in-extreme-cold

As to Tesla doing updates that is as many Manufacturers do.    You do not sell faulty cars and expect the buyer to just wait until they get them fit for purpose and get away with it as the VW Group are doing.

Stellantis have had to do software updates and are continuing to. 

Releasing vehicles with software or hardware faults that are already known because vehicles had already been taken off the road and owners are driving loan cars while a fix is being tried out on other customers cars as has happened with Mk4 Octavia in the UK is a whole different can of worms. 

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, roottoot said:

Releasing vehicles with software or hardware faults that are already known because vehicles had already been taken off the road and owners are driving loan cars while a fix is being tried out on other customers cars as has happened with Mk4 Octavia in the UK is a whole different can of worms. 

Hahaha, you're doing it too. Defending Tesla, blaming Skoda. Model 3 had assembly issues, hardware and software faults for more than 3 years since it released, just recently they recalled another half a million vehicles and they don't make nearly as many as Skoda to begin with. 

The only issue that Skoda has that is critical is the auto braking, but it's market specific on German forums no one speaks about it randomly happening so it has to do something with wrong side of the road. 

Edited by zetzet
  • Haha 1

Where?

I am not defending Tesla in any way. 

But updates as updates available are different from fixing faults that should have been dealt with at the earliest reports is another mater.

VW Group RECALLS are few and far between,  Recall Actions / Service Campaigns,  Skoda Secret Service Campaigns where Registered Keepers are not contacted and a vehicle needs to be in for a service and the driver might or not be told is common and has been even when there are World Wide Recalls 

which excludes Europe / EU customers because they are not in the World, just the part where VW can assure authorities that matters are not Safety Critical so they will deal with them. 

Edited by roottoot

I don't think a full fix is going to happen at all. It probably has something to do with the technical capabilities of the current camera/radar. Like if they tune down the sensitivity too much it stops working completely.  Other things might get fixed.

Edited by zetzet

A Full fix or Buy Backs will happen in a country where a court can tear VW Group / Skoda a new hole.  

That might well not be a UK country but it could be a European one like in one of the 4 countries of the UK.

Time will tell.

Screenshot 2022-01-23 15.36.53.png

Future of transport regulatory review_ modernising vehicle standards - GOV.UK (2).mhtml

Edited by roottoot