What saddened you today?

Breezy_Pete

12 hours ago, Gaz said:

I'm usually quite an emotionally resilient chap, but not on this occasion

i understand this...

i can watch the news and all the horrendous stuff thats happening in the world and it doesnt bother me. 

but, since becoming a father, if theres anything involving kids being harmed, i cant handle it, either being more upset than at family funerals or wanting to be directly involved in the infinite suffering of those involved in the harm..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More maddened then sad.

Today I read a report where a group of tenants have got together, taken legal advice and considering suing their social LL.

The reason  being is they lived unknowingly but suspected for 2 &1/2 years living with a neighbour who had died and not discovered despite their efforts.

They claim they have been marred, traumatised, sleepless nights, kids unhappy and they deserve compensation for this.

They sicken me the lot of them and imo it is clear some of them are using the death of this lonely, single woman, to gain some leverage in getting rehomed.

Mercenary and disgraceful, so caring, as time went on, not one of them had the courage of their own conviction or compassion and kicked the ****ing door in, the smell they complained of and their unanswered concerns from their LL and the police would have been a justified action for doing so, there would have been no prosecution for breaking in

I hope their action is a non-starter.

• Like 2

My mum who is 98 is in hospital with a broken left arm.   I got away from caring duties for a long Easter weekend and left her in another's care.   Not anyone's fault she fell during the night and was blocking the bedroom door from opening.    She had had problems before and in hospital but we have always had things sorted for her at home.   This time it will be a problem as she uses a trolley in the house to move about.  Anyway first need to she what happens in the orthopedic ward, if she gets moved to local hospital and then what can be arranged.  Before that I need to travel home.  

• Sad 10

• 2 weeks later...

Some how I have managed to pick up a dose of norovirus 🙄

After night wearing out the carpet between bedroom and bathroom I’m still feeling utterly dreadful though thankfully that thrice hourly commute has slowed down. Looking on the NHS website could last a week - not looking forward to that!

• Sad 8

Attending the funeral of a close work colleague.

A sad day in any case but made worse by the fact that she was one of the nicest, bubbliest people I'd ever met and that she died from MND at the age of just 36.

I tell you - life is **** at times!

• Sad 7

• 3 weeks later...

witnessing a murder before going to work...

looked out the window while refilling my water bottle to see a crow standing over a bullfinch with a claw on it chest and pecking at it.

ran out a scared off the crow, and grabbed the bird, had a feeling it was too late, but brought them to side of the house where the boys wouldnt see it, and tucked them safe, but struggling to breathe. 

just got home from work and poor little fluff ball passed away during the day.

will give them a little burial  later this evening, on my own though. spud sr would be very upset if he knew, hes a sensitive soul 

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, mac11irl said:

witnessing a murder before going to work...

looked out the window while refilling my water bottle to see a crow standing over a bullfinch with a claw on it chest and pecking at it.

ran out a scared off the crow, and grabbed the bird, had a feeling it was too late, but brought them to side of the house where the boys wouldnt see it, and tucked them safe, but struggling to breathe. 

just got home from work and poor little fluff ball passed away during the day.

will give them a little burial  later this evening, on my own though. spud sr would be very upset if he knew, hes a sensitive soul 

Sad circle of life macc ,i think everyone forgets crows, rooks etc are birds of prey ,they need their dinner too as do their chicks .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mickvrs220 said:

Sad circle of life macc ,i think everyone forgets crows, rooks etc are birds of prey ,they need their dinner too as do their chicks .

i know, and we put out plenty scraps for them all - bigger bits and chinks for the crows etc so the hedge row birds can get the smaller stuff more easily.

i buried him this evening, and had a little company while i did it, less than 2ft from my hand the whole time.

20230519_211152.thumb.jpg.e378e29101a31df8b17d7308b52736a2.jpg

i like to think he was paying his respects, as all the birds live in the hedge just over our back wall, you start to recognise them after a while, so they probably all know each other as neighbours. 

theres even a little family of finches after nesting under the ridge tile at the corner of the kitchen. on the roof membrane. can hear the little uns cheeping and watch mam and dad flitting in and out with food.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

• 3 weeks later...

Many years ago I remember a BBC kids TV presenter showing us that if you stood under a HV pylon line with a flourescent tube it would glow. Today I went and tried it myself with a known to work tube. I can report that in my test it's complete *******s and only serves to lessen my trust in the BBC.

If I paid a licence fee I would immediately end my direct debit and write a strongly worded letter to Esther Rantzen. 

PXL_20230603_234724507.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.39027f5573aee8d7690cabc8c5b2b699.jpg

• Sad 1

try it with an earthing wire attached from the negative side if the tube to a spike in the ground. 

thats how Tesla's wireless system was meant to work - needs to be grounded

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

try it with an earthing wire attached from the negative side if the tube to a spike in the ground. 

thats how Tesla's wireless system was meant to work - needs to be grounded

I'll try tomorrow and report back. I'm too mullered to go hunting for the appropriate requirements in the shed right now.

I think I have my old BT HV gloves somewhere as well as a precaution prior to set up. 

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Getting an email from NHS blood and transplant encouraging me to book an appointment to donate in the near future.

10 mins on hold waiting to query this in light of recent bowel cancer 'brush with death', to be told by Ben - as feared - sorry but you'll be unable to give any further donations. :crying:

I need someone who can donate but currently doesn't to please step up and take my place, thanks in advance. 

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Getting an email from NHS blood and transplant encouraging me to book an appointment to donate in the near future.

10 mins on hold waiting to query this in light of recent bowel cancer 'brush with death', to be told by Ben - as feared - sorry but you'll be unable to give any further donations. :crying:

I need someone who can donate but currently doesn't to please step up and take my place, thanks in advance. 

I used to donate regularly (Rh O neg - so useful) but was told at one stage that I couldn't as I took antihistamines for hayfever and on a couple of occasions had slightly raised blood pressure when I got there (not surprising really given I'd walked to the centre)...   it's a real downer when you want to but can;t!

1 hour ago, Breezy_Pete said:

you'll be unable to give any further donations. 

That's what I got after my stroke; diabetic, high blood pressure etc. Loadsa meds.  They call me the rattler :)

• Sad 1

With a bit of luck I might live long enough for the various cancer 'DNA fragment' blood tests in trials to advance to become reliable enough for screening tests that could 're-enable' me. :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

With a bit of luck I might live long enough for the various cancer 'DNA fragment' blood tests in trials to advance to become reliable enough for screening tests that could 're-enable' me. :)

I think I'd take surviving bowel cancer as enough of a win and not worry about the future ...

• Like 2

today... 

just the level really **** news stories,

including a fatality and serious injury on our rail network up the West this afternoon, not in my area, but still it ripples across the whole company when it happens.

that weird ( in terms of the random nature and geography of what happened) incident in nottingham and now 2 19yr olds out, being uni students doing uni student things dead and school geounds manager.

Thenover here,  half a dozen murders / stabbings / serious assaults over the last few days including a 40yr old homeless man stabbed by a 17yr old who turned himself in with his mother. 

really giving more consideration to moving to an island with no tech...

Edited by mac11irl
  • Sad 6

• 2 weeks later...

yesterday, gettin the phonecall ive been waiting for since Tuesday night - my last grandparent passed away at lunchtime.

grandnana Chrissie quietly shed her physical shell 15mins after my mother left her to go and get something to eat. 

95 1/2 yrs old, she spent the majority of the last 5yrs in a nursing home as my mother could no longer give her all care she needed at home. 

so now its funeral time, all she wanted was a quiet send off, hated big long rambling eulogies & people bringing up loads of stuff from people's lives at a funeral, she was just a lady who believed once your gone your gone to God (very catholic) why is everyone trying to make themselves feels better about it.

• Sad 9