What saddened you today?

Breezy_Pete

4 minutes ago, sneal said:

Well, the fizz has done a very good job at lifting the grime from the grain effect surface of my 30+ yr old MFI desk. Cleanest part, might have to go and get another one and do the rest... 😉

Better get two; cleaning is thirsty work!

• Haha 2

Live update of a bad story unfolding..

when its 1245am, and the sound of a low level heli flying near your house disturbs you as youre drifting off to sleep...

so you have to check flightradar, as you get that feeling you recognise the heavy rotor sound...

and yup, its a coastguard rescue helicopter, that is circling the town, so you have to go for a look outsude when you get that other feeling, that the flight trace looks like something..

Screenshot_20220728-004628_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ba208d1ac1a0d55cc43bd9fef4b356d4.jpg

20220728_004529.thumb.jpg.2c4bbf68f5db0beac71556f1fdcda051.jpg

cant see it in the pic, but the search lights are on and tracking the river..

Screenshot_20220728-010518_Chrome.thumb.jpg.486f010ecfd793b05fb62006f0559968.jpg

and, they are still circling and scanning, which means someone has reported a person is gone into the water 😞

**** i hope they find them and theyre okay, but they got airborne nearly an hour ago now, which means the person is in the water over an hour now... gonna be a long horrible night for some people 😞

• Sad 3

On 23/07/2022 at 14:19, OldTrilobite said:

Worrying article in the latest Which? magazine, exposing the racket of fake reviews on social media.  I cannot understand how it can be legal for a business to pay another business to flood their website, Google or Trustpilot with entirely fake 5-star reviews.  Very worrying, though I don't use Facebook etc.  Everyone should try to read a copy in their public library.  It's not online, though there was an earlier January online article about fake reviews.

The latest Which? article does not cover sites like Amazon or Tripadvisor, where there may also be fake reviews.  It is hard to know what one can trust.

I write reviews for Amazon (both of things I buy and they send me stuff free to advertise) and companies do offer bribes for you to change reviews that are unfavourable.

The contact me directly, not through Amazon, so I know they're up to no good. I contact the company through Amazon messaging and tell them that someone has contacted me purporting to represent them and ask them to confirm/deny that the person is part of their company and if they are, in future to contact me via Amazon messaging.

I do this as it puts their attempted bribe on Amazon's radar, and I never hear anything back from them.

Edit: The screenshot below is a redacted snapshot of the sort of "apology" some companies offer to give them a better review. Their MP3 player was expensive rubbish, so I said so.

(Amazon Vine is the program which Amazon uses to send out stuff to trusted reviewers.)

image.thumb.png.12ba93b9df193b8ea92d785a949524aa.png

Edited by EnterName
  • Like 3
  • Love it! 1

9 hours ago, EnterName said:

Found the following website where human body parts are legally traded.

That's pretty dismaying.

https://www.atcc.org/products/crl-2429

I'm still chuckling at your post many hours later and I started to wonder if you meant to post it in the Chuckle in your day topic.

I've often posted in the wrong topic myself.

7 hours ago, @Lee said:

I'm still chuckling at your post many hours later and I started to wonder if you meant to post it in the Chuckle in your day topic.

You guys always slip-up and say the quiet part out loud sooner or later.

• Haha 1

Can anyone explain why Fetal Bovine Serum  is vital for the proper use of a foreskin?

I became a Roundhead at the age of 21 and initially was annoyed that my spare part which was not given back to me is now worth €595 but maybe I have saved that over the years buy not having to  buy vital Fetal Bovine Serum at €719 a pop?

Edited by J.R.
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, EnterName said:

Go on. What have I missed? Where have I 'slipped up'? What 'quiet part did I say out loud'?
You seem to think cells means body parts. That's what you've said. If that's what you think, that'd make even the most ardent pro-lifer blush with embarrassment! 

Edited by @Lee

20 hours ago, EnterName said:

Found the following website where human body parts are legally traded.

That's pretty dismaying.

https://www.atcc.org/products/crl-2429

11 hours ago, @Lee said:

4 hours ago, EnterName said:

30 minutes ago, @Lee said:

Go on. What have I missed? Where have I 'slipped up'? What 'quiet part did I say out loud'?
You seem to think cells means body parts. That's what you've said. If that's what you think, that'd make even the most ardent pro-lifer blush with embarrassment! 

@EnterName

Being blunt what on earth?

It's a website selling medical supplies, not body parts.

It's not some under cover dodgy outfit selling body parts.

It's yet another consipracy theory created from I don't know what.

@Lee it's a bit of tit for tat that's probably not helping in this thread.

For your (and everyone elses) good, perhaps try not to bite .

Edited by cheezemonkhai
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, cheezemonkhai said:

@Lee, it's a bit of tit for tat that's probably not helping in this thread.

For your (and everyone elses) good,perhaps try not to bite 

Fair do's, Mark. You have a pretty good idea of what my missus does so you'll forgive me for finding it comical.
It'd be nice if people understood science a bit more rather than thinking X = Y without looking into it.

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 1

Just had an unsolicited phone call (where I let him speak).  They were offering a personal emergency alarm to quote ‘elderly’ people.

Yes, I’ve been an OAP and retired for quite some time, but it’s the first time I can remember actually being referred to as ‘elderly’.  I must admit, it was quite a shock to the system, as I’m still very active, play bass guitar in a band, and can still get into and out of my tiny JZR without too much of a problem.

• Sad 2

Reminds me of a story I was retelling a few days ago to a workmate who's moving house.

I was helping a friend move house, with a professional 'man with van' doing most of the work.

At the new place there was a light-coloured carpeted room between the front door and the kitchen. Removal man said he would prefer to carry the washing machine over this rather than wheel it/drag it or whatever.  He looked a the motley crew of assembled family and friends, stopped at me and said "Pete, I think you were once a strong guy, would you help me carry this, please" :sadsmile:

• Groan 1

Had a scam on whatsapp this morning pretending to be my son who needed me to pay a bill for him ,2400 pound ,me and my son not spoken for a few years (long story) so i was quite chuffed he got in touch mebbe would have fallen for it had it been a couple of hundred quid ,but the amount made me nervous so said not before we speak ,anyhoo decided to get in touch on a number i still had for my lad and it turns out not to be him asking for money ,close call tho ,apparently its called the mum and dad scam ,******* 🤬

• Sad 2

15 minutes ago, Mickvrs220 said:

Had a scam on whatsapp this morning pretending to be my son who needed me to pay a bill for him ,2400 pound ,me and my son not spoken for a few years (long story) so i was quite chuffed he got in touch mebbe would have fallen for it had it been a couple of hundred quid ,but the amount made me nervous so said not before we speak ,anyhoo decided to get in touch on a number i still had for my lad and it turns out not to be him asking for money ,close call tho ,apparently its called the mum and dad scam ,******* 🤬

Unfortunately, thats not a new one, been around for a few years now... might be a sibling, or a child, even a parent.... 

edit - 

could you pull a sliver of a silver lining from it though, and now youve touched base with your son for the first time in ages, it could be an opportunity to reopen dialogue...

Edited by mac11irl
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, mac11irl said:

Unfortunately, thats not a new one, been around for a few years now... might be a sibling, or a child, even a parent.... 

edit - 

could you pull a sliver of a silver lining from it though, and now youve touched base with your son for the first time in ages, it could be an opportunity to reopen dialogue...

I live in hope macc ,hopefully one day 👍

• Love it! 1

About 4 years ago, some thieving swines broke into my shed one night, and stole my 1/2" Socket set (left the 1/4" sat next to it) and a pressure washer too (did need new washers as it leaked)

Anyhow, went to check if my torque wrench was available and they had that away too, and I only noticed today as I thought I had brought it into the house 4 years ago.

New sockets and torque wrench ordered today, and will be staying inside.

• Sad 2
  • Groan 1

Wifey got up at 4.30am this morning to drive two and a bit hours to accompany her mom (dementia) from the nursing home to hospital for a minor operation, which may or may not go ahead (it did, thankfully, albeit late). They don’t know when the transfer back to the nursing home will be, then she's got the drive home.

Mrs Cakemonster just messaged me to say she's had to help a nurse clean her mom up after a 'code brown'.... not something a child ever wants to do.

She can't get enough signal, or leave her mom to call, she sounds really upset. 

Just needed to get that off my chest, thanks. 

• Sad 5