What saddened you today?

Breezy_Pete

my sincere condolences @Aspman, sounds like youve been through a rough few months and definite weeks. i had kinda noticed you werent here very much the last couple of months, this would explain a bit why 😞

56 minutes ago, Aspman said:

My Mum died on Thursday. She'd been in hospital for a few months with leg ulcers and heart problems but went rapidly downhill last week.

Her body had just started to give up after decades of problems and powerful drugs.

We knew she was ill but this was unexpected. They hospital had inadvertantly overdosed her on morphine becasue she wasn't able to break it down well so it built up over time. She was brought back from that and we had expected an improvement but she started to fade after a very brief recovery.

My Dad is struggling clearly (they were married 57 years) and I'm a bit out the way.

He's going to lose the motability car so we'll need to find him something suitable quickly but it's a really bad time to need a car.

That's awful news to hear and condolences to you, your family and most if all your dad...   57 years is a long time to spend with someone.

Take care and look out for each other!

5 hours ago, mac11irl said:

my sincere condolences @Aspman, sounds like youve been through a rough few months and definite weeks. i had kinda noticed you werent here very much the last couple of months, this would explain a bit why 😞

the honest truth about that is I just don't have time. New job is a busy one and toddler running arounds saps any other time.

Mum had suffered with illness for the last 20yr, arthritis and various linked inflammatory and autoimmune disorders. She'd had leg ulcers for 5yr which just weren't healing and repeated bouts of sepsis. She was suffering a lot in those last years but rarely complained. She was a good'un my Mum.

Very sad that she won't get to see her grandkids grow up and Covid robbed her of those two years with them as well really. She never made it to the new house either.

• Sad 8

6 hours ago, Aspman said:

He's going to lose the motability car

Is there any way he could take over the Motability car - private lease or some such?

• Like 3

Just now, MikeTheThinker said:

Is there any way he could take over the Motability car - private lease or some such?

It's a possibility. We popped into a couple of car dealers (he likes to look anyway). Went to Arnold Shark and all they could do was try to sell him something anything. Left there and went to John Clark group who I've bought my last three cars from. Guys couldn't do enough to help and one of them suggested the same thing so we'll get Dad to ask Motoability for an offer.

• Like 3

@Aspman

Sorry to hear of your loss.      John Clark,s.   Motability trained salesperson should know all about the circumstances.  Unless there are recent changes then the car could not be bought by the spouse or family.

Maybe look into Peter Vardy Dundee if you have not. 

https://www.motability.co.uk/your-lease/customer-passes-away/

https://www.motability.co.uk/contact/faqs/what-happens-if-a-motability-scheme-customer-passes-away

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 2

Clearing MIL's flat after she has moved into a care home and it's  the anniversary of the Mum's death last year. Seems that it's common problem with elderly parents with dementia. Both my Mum and MIL had/have vascular dementia. Mum's caused by mini strokes  caused by undiagnosed heart failure and MIL just by age (90). 

Mum's personality changed completely for the last 5 years of her life. thankfully MIL, so far,  has only severe short term memory problems, but it's getting worse month by month.

• Sad 4

I understand how you feel. Last year my father, step mother-in-law and father-in-law all died. None of them were Covid related. We had 2 houses to clear out and sell. It is not a pleasant experience deciding whether to throw away memories but we could not keep everything and a lot of good stuff went to relations or charity shops.

• Sad 1

On 10/01/2022 at 15:01, Aspman said:

My Mum died on Thursday. She'd been in hospital for a few months with leg ulcers and heart problems but went rapidly downhill last week.

Her body had just started to give up after decades of problems and powerful drugs.

We knew she was ill but this was unexpected. They hospital had inadvertantly overdosed her on morphine becasue she wasn't able to break it down well so it built up over time. She was brought back from that and we had expected an improvement but she started to fade after a very brief recovery.

My Dad is struggling clearly (they were married 57 years) and I'm a bit out the way.

He's going to lose the motability car so we'll need to find him something suitable quickly but it's a really bad time to need a car.

Sorry to hear this.  My condolences. 

• 3 weeks later...

The main road towards leeds was closed off this morn when i walked dog down river to the groomers for his hair cut ,police everywhere ,turns out some fellow on a bycycle has been seriously injured by a van ,its a straight road tho so not sure how its happened  😥

Edited by Mickvrs220
Updated
  • Sad 1

Heard that a colleague I worked with and sat next to for a number of years when i first graduated has passed away...   that was 32 years ago and he retired a few years after I started so he must have been a grand old age!

He was a true 'old-school' civil engineer and a real gentleman.

• Sad 2

• 1 month later...

https://www.cumnockchronicle.com/news/20024587.loch-doon-man-dies-two-men-get-difficulty/?fbclid=IwAR2suQHg1Wogy8HTrzzchb0o3Hqn3OR3PqxjDnvnvlQuvlwnibmxcEOCHOA

That's another one up at Loch Doon in the past few years. :sadsmile:

For context...

Edited by AnnoyingPentium
Further contexts.
  • Sad 1

Watching Will Smith crack a man half his size, across the face. The really sad thing about this violence, is the joke that Chris Rock made, was probably written by the writing staff, not himself, he was just reading the autocue. We might never know who, if any, were aware of Jada Smiths alopecia, but violence wasn't the answer. Will Smith has gone right down in my estimation.

He didn't react violently when one of the hosts made fun of his wife's many affairs (they apparently have an open marriage, although I think it might be a bit one-sided?) even though he has looked very uncomfortable about this fact in the past. 

Btw Smith also apologised to everyone, with eyes full of tears, except he didn't apologise to the man he attacked. Crocodile tears. Poor show that man 👎🏻

• Sad 1

i havent watched the videos, but heard the audio several times today on the wireless. the joke was crap, and Will's reaction wasnt justified. im for standing up for your spouse - assuming they want you to - but no, theres a lot of other ways he couldve dealt with that, even if theres been history between him Chris for a few years - stand up and call him out for making a terrible joke, and tell him "they need to talk when the show's over" and take it from there. 

I've had a look on the interweb and it appears the joke was written by one of the staff writers on the show. Rock was simply a mouthpiece and presumably thought it was edgy buy OK? 

A simple correction verbally would have sufficed, but Smith, who is a big guy, thought it was proper to go up and strike the presenter. He hit him pretty sharply too. On that basis, Ricky Gervais could have been assassinated with his 'roasting' style comedy at the Golden Globes. A role he was brought into deliberately to fulfil. 

Smith needs to apologise to Rock and consider himself lucky Rock isn't pressing charges. 

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 1

I thought it looked like it was set up ,chris rock rode that slap like he knew what was coming ,he didnt even hold his face afterwards ,and can the police charge will smith with assault even without rock pressing charges ,i maybe wrong but a slap like that from another big man can do some damage.

It wasn't set up. The abuse and swearing that Will Smith followed up with wasn't exactly adult behaviour, either. He then went on to talk about love and such like. "Yes, I smacked a guy across the face, but I believe in the power of love, so everything is OK" I'm paraphrasing a little. 

It made a hell of a noise too, when he hit Rock. I don't understand how he was OK with the embarrassing fact of his wife's infidelity, but struck a man because he made a comment about her hair cut. Smith didn't even give Rock a chance to explain his comment, retract the joke, or apologise for the GI Jane 2  line. Now that would have been the classy thing to do. 

Rock previously (I think 2016?) made reference to Pinkett Smith kicking off at not being asked to the Oscars and was refusing to go anyway. His joke basically said she wasn't invited, and he mocked her over reaction to this fact.

Smith is a bully and showed himself to be a man of low moral fibre. Most likely an egotist of the first order. Very disappointed and a little upset, as I had previously liked the man. Still, I know better now.  

I was watching it live and you clearly heard the expletives too.

Edited by Lady Elanore

Bloke made a **** joke.

Another bloke acted in a **** way.

With all that's going on in the world, who gives a **** what two overpaid actors do?

Is it really that worthy of all the attention it's getting?

Maybe I'm getting old or maybe I'm just chivalrous but start chatting **** about my missus and you'll get a piece of my mind at the very least.

Maybe Smith should have gone up to Rock, slapped him with a leather gauntlet and challenged him to pistols at dawn*

*With paintballs or laser quest, obvs.

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I won't forgive him. He ruined the night for everyone. This will be remembered as the Oscars that Will Smith acted like a *****

Rock didn't even write the joke. Maybe he assumed the joke writer knew where to draw the line? We will never know now. We still don't know if Rock was aware of her alopecia, I wasn't 

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Basil Brushpicking a fight and headbutting my car on the way to work..  

he lost..

20220414_045018.thumb.jpg.43729192fa1b83ac5d8b0acd5d2dcd0e.jpg

but broke donkey 2's nose and fractured her jaw.

20220414_045035.thumb.jpg.872e03d048437beef5b63eaeb975b95b.jpg

Will have to dig the grille out of the front tomorrow, and straighten it up while i track down a brilliant silver good condition replacement from a breakers...

• Sad 8

5 hours ago, mac11irl said:

Will have to dig the grille out of the front tomorrow, and straighten it up

Sorry to hear about the unfortunate interaction, but at least you're OK and the car has only suffered minor cosmetic damage.  I had a Bambi interaction in the far north of Scotland some years back which wiped out a front wing and bumper of my Citroen BX; Bambi showed me his/her ar$e and skipped off apparently undamaged.

BTW I think I have some duct tape in your shade; would you like me to check? :)

• Like 1

we had an 'interaction' with a rather large dog in France many years ago - it came bounding out of a hedge at the side of the road straight in front of us - pretty much wiped out the front of the Cortina we were in and unfortunatly killed the dog.

• Crying 1

yeah, its only cosmetic from what i could see in the dark. 

Basil came out of the hedge just far enough ahead of me to see the orangy brown flash disappear in front of the bonnet. there was no braking time, foot wasnt even fully off the accelerator, so the poor divil took the full indicated 108kph momentum. at least it will have been quick..

ill get some tec7 and black cable ties on it, do a proper agri job, until i track down a replacement :D