Software Update Recall/Campaigns

I'm due my first service soon so I started checking around to see if any of the software updates/recalls mentioned elsewhere (Particularly for the early First Editions with different hardware) have been rolled out yet.  Handily I found this website:  https://aus.skoda.com.au/request/vin-checker 
 I know its Skoda Australia website but the checker works as it uses the VIN so I got a result and I apparently have an outstanding software "campaign"  with the code number 69BN. I also confirmed this with Skoda UK via Twitter DM but they wouldn't shed any light on what this actually was. The very limited info I can find on this is from a German Skoda forum (and google translate is a bit ropey!) which suggests this is a full update for "Update of the 4 control sections. (MIB 3 egg, instrument cluster, ESC, airbag)" but no further info is given.

Has anybody had this update and can shed a bit more light on what it consists of?  I want to make sure I'm getting the full updates when I hand it in and don't get fobbed off with a software update thats just the sat nav map update or something because the dealers can't be bothered!  Its insane to me that no patch notes are provided for car updates to explain EXACTLY whats been done, particularly if as suggested elsewhere it involves Air Bags or other critical safety functions!

A little bit of further digging in Poland this time.  This person - https://forum.skodaclub.pl/tech-skoda-octavia4/infotainment-octavia-iv-poradnik-problemy-opinie-t32599-510.html#p338025 - suggests they updated from 1668 with a device number end in C to the latest software and a device code ending in G which appears to have fixed every software issue.  

Called the dealer to discuss and as per they didn't know what it entailed.  They said they'll call me back when they find out but I won't hold my breath.

Any that are part of this Recall that the DVLA have on the website should have had the Registered Keeper informed as it is counted as Safety Critical and not a Service Campaign or Recall Action like those that Skoda / VW like on a 'need to know basis', and somehow they think it is none of the drivers business, as is stuff getting done to their car.

Well Data Protection does not cover it and the cars are owned by owners, maybe VW Finance are the owner, but that does not mean Drivers are not responsible for the cars safety. 

Skoda Secret Service Service Campaigns. Loose lips sinks ships, cost lives!

Screenshot 2021-08-16 at 15.24.35.png

Edited by e-Roottoot

Mines at the dealers for two recalls.  They wrote to me saying it needed doing but non safety critical.  Ones for the climate control the others a generic instrument cluster one.  

Hopefully it gets rid of all the annoying foibles. Mines not been as bad as some people seem to have but there’s been some odd behaviour. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ItalianJob said:

I've just put my VIN in the checker and got the following...

• Updating SW of power steering control unit
  • Software update Octavia IV
  • Service packet Octavia IV

all outstanding.

I have had zero success in getting any information for mine, using the link above on numerous occasions, whenever I try I get "Sorry, this service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later."

Their idea of temporary and mine are worlds apart :biggrin:

37 minutes ago, vfr said:

I have had zero success in getting any information for mine, using the link above on numerous occasions, whenever I try I get "Sorry, this service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later."

Their idea of temporary and mine are worlds apart :biggrin:

Me too 👎

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/08/2021 at 11:37, Marko72 said:

Hi I just phone my dealer about a past service and he said my Kodiaq was due a engine software recall, code 23DD. Anyone know what this is?

Hi, mine got it too (getting the update right now). The description of this issue is:

"On many ŠKODA models from a certain period of production, due to a software error in the engine control unit
there may be occasional signs of a reduction in power."

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/09/2021 at 10:28, akopczyk said:

Hi, mine got it too (getting the update right now). The description of this issue is:

"On many ŠKODA models from a certain period of production, due to a software error in the engine control unit
there may be occasional signs of a reduction in power."

They told me it was to improve efficiency.

Did you notice any difference.?

I thought that in normal mode it was a bit less responsive than usual,  steering felt a bit less firm in sports mode. But maybe I'm  trying too hard to find a difference.

After months of the UK checker being "temporarily unavailable" I tried the Aus checker to get - 5 outstanding upgrades / campaigns.

48P9   69BN   90Q9   97C1   97EQ

Confusingly,  I had 97EQ applied last December. So asked my dealer to check.

Apparently, 97EQ had a fourth part, also named 97EQ, released in January. Not at all destined to muddy the waters. So I need to have all five done. And " The UK recall checker does work but these are not classed as "safety recalls" so wouldn't be showing on that site." Which is not consistent with the "unavailable" message, or the info being available on the Aus site.

So how many owners never know about these recall campaigns? My understanding of recalls is that the manufacturer should initiate contact. Clearly not. This is not a complaint - infotainment issues for me have been transitory and rare.

Skoda Recall Actions or Service Campaigns AKA Skoda Secret Service Campaigns which are on a 'Need to know basis', and owners need not know and TPI's are very different from actual RECALLS. 

Even DVLA Safety Critical RECALLS where the Dealers / Manufacturers get the Registered Owners does not ensure VW Group / Skoda contact Registered Keepers.

Tell the DVSA / DVLA and they really could not care less.

Tell Skoda / VW Customer Services and they could be French as they shrug their shoulders.

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-recall

My VRS went into dealership for 2 days for alot of updates and I think they may have changed control unit for the infotainment system.

I now have wireless android auto running  along with a dramatic improvement in response time, some new shortcuts in the 'set' hotkey , my phone auto connects and the climate control remains on sync when selected.

Hopefully this sorts all the software issues I was having such as PDC, airbag errors etc. Dealership told me only released last week or two but you'll only get it if you're having ongoing issues.

I've attached the latest software for info

Top is update from August and bottom is what I'm told to be the latest 

20211009_161417.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I experienced the common touchscreen problems since the Octavia 2.0D SEL was a few weeks old. First the heater controls vanished. A reboot by holding the on/off button for about 20 seconds cured this. Then the double clicks from the passenger footwell and various SOS failure messages. These usually all reset themselves or needed a reboot. Some weeks it was fine but recently got more common. Last Wednesday lost heating controls again and it wouldnt reboot, just had message system resetting. Phoned dealer and they had around a two week waiting list. They suggested using Skoda Assist which if they couldnt fix it would prioritise the repairs. Phoned up and was offered the AA within a couple of hours or Skoda Assits first thing the next day. He attended and know exactly waht the problem was - an 8 hour software update. The dealer still couldnt prioritise the repair so tried a nearby Skoda Service Centre. They couldnt look for 2 weeks. Rang Skoda customer care. The helpful guy there rang round all the dealers within about 30 miles and they all had 2 weeks or more waiting list. As i didnt need the car for a few days I 'dumped it' on the dealer with a promise that Wednesday was the earliest they could look at it. They uploaded Service Campaign 69BN which ran overnight. the dealer wouldnt confirm that its a major issue but the internet proves otherwise, it affects all the VW group using the touchscreen panel. Have only driven it 12 miles back from the dealer so watch this space. just a shame that Skoda dont update their customers and poor show from the service centres for having two weeks waiting lists.

• Like 1