Remote opening of boot

Does anyone have the problem of the boot opening when you have the keys in your trouser pocket?

I think that occasionally the button on the key fob is pressed when I sit down or move whilst seated.

Is there any way to stop this happening, as I now have to check that the boot is closed almost every day?

Don't keep the keys in your pocket??

I've never had it happen to me, put I do keep the keys in a key signal blocker. Keyless cars are easy to steal!!!!!

The range for the key is probably a few metres - unless you hold it against your head!

Never happened to me in the 4+ years I've had mine.

Keys r always in my pocket.

As mentioned above, keys need to b in range, and u need to press n hold for a minimum 2-3 secs for it to start opening.

@TerryJP- do u have virtual kick pedal?  It could b faulty, triggering the boot to open.

On 22/10/2021 at 08:18, TerryJP said:

Does anyone have the problem of the boot opening when you have the keys in your trouser pocket?

I think that occasionally the button on the key fob is pressed when I sit down or move whilst seated.

Is there any way to stop this happening, as I now have to check that the boot is closed almost every day?

Do you mean this is happening while you are in the car and driving it?

This has been covered quite a lot in the past. I had the same problem, and found that it was caused by loose change in my trouser pocket pressing against the boot-opening button on the key fob when I knelt, crouched or sat down. To close the boot the key needs to be within two metres of the car, but to open it you can be a considerable distance away, and even inside a building. The opening button sits slightly proud of the fob surface, unlike the other two, and there seems to be three ways of curing the problem - take the key apart and file off the projecting lug on the back of the button so that it doesn't work at all, the key in a Faraday pouch as soon as you've locked up (and taking it back out when you need to use it, which sort of negates the benefit of the Kessy principle) or doing what I did, which is to wrap a bit of felt around the key to prevent rattling and then put it in a hard container, in my case an empty WH Smiths box of drawing pins - the key still works from inside my pocket, and the boot has not opened itself in a number of years now.

I hope this is the cause of your issue, and that this helps, but I am aware that there are a number of other possible causes that require the advice of more technically-gifted minds than mine.

David,  this is exactly my problem.  My car is usually parked in my integral garage,  which is about 4 - 5 metres from my lounge. I often find the boot open and I presume it has been opened by the key fob in my trousers. On a few occasions the boot has opened when the car has been parked on the street,  allowing access to the boot and rain to get in.

I don't want to put key in  a tin/box, or to leave the keys anywhere,  when you get to my age it's hard enough to remember where I've put anything without adding they keys to the list of things I can't find.

Some form of protection looks the best solution. 

Thanks for your comments 

2 hours ago, TerryJP said:

David,  this is exactly my problem.  My car is usually parked in my integral garage,  which is about 4 - 5 metres from my lounge. I often find the boot open and I presume it has been opened by the key fob in my trousers. On a few occasions the boot has opened when the car has been parked on the street,  allowing access to the boot and rain to get in.

I don't want to put key in  a tin/box, or to leave the keys anywhere,  when you get to my age it's hard enough to remember where I've put anything without adding they keys to the list of things I can't find.

Thanks for your comments 

You mention getting to an 'age' Terry, maybe it's time to give up the 'skinny fit' Levi's and wear trousers cut a little more loose? .... 😉 :biggrin:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TerryJP said:

Thanks for your comments 

Glad to help. The thing with the WH Smith box is that, although it is bulkier in your pocket than just the key, it is as small a box as the key will fit into with a touch of anti-rattle padding, it allows the key to transmit its signal and, once you've removed the tab from which it hangs on the rack in the shop, it has rounded edges and corners so it doesn't wear a hole in your trouser pocket lining. I eventually had to use a bit of sticky insulating tape to make sure it stays closed, but the only time you have to get the key out is to change its battery.

You also get 100 free drawing pins, or small paper clips if you prefer - the boxes are the same size.

I might sound like im undermining someone here, but whats the point of having a KESSY key in a faraday pouch, or any sorts of cage that inhibits its original purpose.. Its not like everyone wants to steal a Superb, again, not being an a..hole in any way, just stating the obvious, its not a golf, that you can flip over night.. Neither have i heard of any cars getting stolen like that, unless its a super/hyper car, which they cant afford to damage, most of normal cars get jacked the old fashioned way, with the help of a few modern tools, but still, they use brute force to open them up, instead of going through the pain of cloning a rolling code signal from the kessy..

1 hour ago, mandp said:

Never had this problem in 2 and a half years.

Whenever I'm in the car the key is in my pocket inside a Faraday bag.

Simple.

I keep my key in the watch pocket of my jeans. (OP, I don't have and electric boot lid). If I get out of the car, the engine shuts off and says it can't see the key.

My question is, how can your car run when the key is inside a Faraday bag? Will the door lock/unlock for you when the key is in the Faraday bag? If so, maybe the bag is not effective.

I have a Faraday bag. If I take the key to the car and touch the door handle, it doesn't see the key and won't open.

I was told by the dealer that the system used by Skoda is not subject to cloning and doesn't need a Faraday bag.

True or false???

Thanks for everyone's contributions 

52 minutes ago, TerryJP said:

I was told by the dealer that the system used by Skoda is not subject to cloning and doesn't need a Faraday bag.

True or false???

Cloning of keys is quite an old thing and is fairly safe against it. That isn’t the issue though, relay signals is the issue.

they make the car think the key is right next to the car by collecting the signal from out of range and transmitting it to a receiver placed near the car giving someone the ability to start the car. Sadly not much that can be done to prevent this except for a faraday bag 

they tried timing the signals so any delays would not trigger an unlock but they got around this by using better quality equipment and it has a next to 0ms delay so the system can’t detect it.

On 27/10/2021 at 20:14, TerryJP said:

True or false???

The latest keys have a motion sensor inside that disables the KESSY function when they've not been moved for a while, this should prevent the key relay type theft while the keys are stored at home.

• Thanks 1

On 27/10/2021 at 16:23, freelunch said:

I keep my key in the watch pocket of my jeans. (OP, I don't have and electric boot lid). If I get out of the car, the engine shuts off and says it can't see the key.

My question is, how can your car run when the key is inside a Faraday bag? Will the door lock/unlock for you when the key is in the Faraday bag? If so, maybe the bag is not effective.

I have a Faraday bag. If I take the key to the car and touch the door handle, it doesn't see the key and won't open.

I bought 3 faraday bags for mine when I got it (only ever use one key anyway) and they have a second pouch with a chain to move the key from the secure pouch to the non blocked pouch for driving etc. I’ve discovered they’re not completely reliable at blocking the signal and it does depend on how well the Velcro part is closed when in the blocking pouch if it actually blocks the signal - I regularly forget to move it out yet still manage to enter and start the car like that yet sometimes it won’t open at all or opens and then says key not detected. I figure it definitely reduces the signal distance and considering the key is not kept near the external walls it’s unlikely a relay attempt would be successful on mine.

I would be interested in the WH SMITH box mentioned above though? I Google it but didn’t get any results? Have been thinking of getting a better box type solution for home and just doing away with the pouch idea when I’m out and about.

Ok a serious question, how many superbs are stolen in the UK when all of you are using pouches, home boxes, and all that jazz?.. Before buying my superb i made an inquiry to my friend at the police, in year 2020, 0 superbs were stolen in my country, and all of 4 were stolen in the last 5 years..

33 minutes ago, bubib5 said:

Ok a serious question, how many superbs are stolen in the UK when all of you are using pouches, home boxes, and all that jazz?.. Before buying my superb i made an inquiry to my friend at the police, in year 2020, 0 superbs were stolen in my country, and all of 4 were stolen in the last 5 years..

It only takes one scumbag though with the right technology doesn’t it? Those of us with the high power 280/272 versions know that while our cars are sleepers to most for those that know what they’re looking at they can be a target for theft so I’d rather play safe personally

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bubib5 said:

Presumably, then, you don't need to bother locking your car at all? It would also be interesting to know how many Superbs there are in your country - 4 might be all of them!

2 hours ago, ArisaigDavid said:

Presumably, then, you don't need to bother locking your car at all? It would also be interesting to know how many Superbs there are in your country - 4 might be all of them!

I guess you got offended by my presumption, but my question was not ment to provoke, i am merely interested in that, as i know a lot of people that have RS4, RS6 R8, golf Rs and silimilar cars,as a former audi driver, and a member of an audi club i had the joy to meet and still know a lot of S, R and RS cars, as well as other modern Audi and VAG cars, and none of them use any sorts of keyless protection, nor have i ever seen anyone in general use it, thats why im so interested in this, not to provoke, but merely to get a grasp on why is that sort of theft so popular, as i understand it, it is mainly popular in more advanced parts of Europe, my country is Croatia, and i guess we have old school (stupid) burglars, that still use liquid nitrogen, crow bars, and laptops to jack cars..

And to aswer your question, in Skoda Club Croatia we have over 194 superbs, mk3s, and still a lot of mk1s and 2s.. So i would say thats more then 4.. 

31 minutes ago, bubib5 said:

I guess you got offended by my presumption, but my question was not ment to provoke, i am merely interested in that, as i know a lot of people that have RS4, RS6 R8, golf Rs and silimilar cars,as a former audi driver, and a member of an audi club i had the joy to meet and still know a lot of S, R and RS cars, as well as other modern Audi and VAG cars, and none of them use any sorts of keyless protection, nor have i ever seen anyone in general use it, thats why im so interested in this, not to provoke, but merely to get a grasp on why is that sort of theft so popular, as i understand it, it is mainly popular in more advanced parts of Europe, my country is Croatia, and i guess we have old school (stupid) burglars, that still use liquid nitrogen, crow bars, and laptops to jack cars..

And to aswer your question, in Skoda Club Croatia we have over 194 superbs, mk3s, and still a lot of mk1s and 2s.. So i would say thats more then 4.. 

I was not offended or provoked at all, and I am very sorry to have given you that impression.

With liquid nitrogen and laptops, your burglars must be considerably less stupid than me - my level of technical prowess is such that just starting the computer to write these messages stretches my limits!

I come from a time when you could open a car, start it and drive off simply by turning an old-fashioned key in a lock, and never had a car stolen even though they were often more attractive to the baddies of the day than a Superb is now. I now have a key which needs an expensive new battery every year, which requires two sensors in the door handle (one to unlock, and another to lock), which will open the boot for you when you don't want it to (as in original post) and incorporates, in case of failure, a manual key inside it for opening the door via the hidden keyhole, even though you still won't be able to start the engine with it! And even if the key hasn't failed, there is a chance that the electronic engine start button will fail instead. And now we need a Faraday bag too - isn't progress marvellous!

Anyway, rant over and it's been nice talking to you. Best wishes.

• 5 months later...

hello there i have had the same annoying problem wit the remote keys for 2 of my superbs one a 2019 estate and my present vehicle a 2021 hatch i had neighbours knocking on my door on numerous occasions telling me that all my windows were open, or that my boot door was open, The cause of the problem was my Chihuahua dog jumping on my knee and pressing the buttons on the key whilst they were in my pocket. i cured it by buying a small folding spectacles case from Ebay in which i put the key into and close the lid   I now just open case press buttons to lock or unlock i have not had any reacurance of the problem since then hope this helps