the truth about electric cars

310golfr

21 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

I'm getting unconfirmed reports that this same car also had to get the police involved in the early hours of December 22nd when it just decided to drive itself along the M60 motorway at 100mph and he could not slow it down, and it has been in the dealers on 4 separate occasions for faults, not sure as to the time span of those or the age of the car currently. Hopefully by the morning we get some further clarification so we can then know if the reports are true or BS.

EMP cannons fitted to the front of police vehicles anyone ;o)

I like the sound of this, although obviously not as much as I like the sound of a V8 (or V10, V12, Flat 6, straight 6.....) 

Disclaimer: there is no sound in the below article

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/british-firm-launches-shelf-hydrogen-fcev-powertrain

On 05/03/2024 at 21:01, Graham Butcher said:

I know that many completely dismiss anything that this YouTuber has to say but please, don't too quick to kick his latest video into the long grass and also ignore the banner on his thumbnail, it might be well worth your time to watch this one, it is NOT about bashing EV's at all despite the impression given on the thumbnail. We might find out in the future that there is some merit in what he is saying about all cars includes ICE.

Oh Lord!

If this is reverse psychology, it's starting to work. I'm getting the urge to get myself an enormously heavy E-SUV. 😄

The EV evangelists were annoying, but the anti-EV folk are now worse than them

It's like vegans outdoing vegetarians in annoying nagging about how much better everything would be if you just did what they want you to do.

And all these grifters like Geoff are raking it in while stirring the pot that really doesn't need stirring.

Buy an EV or don't. That's it.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 2
  • Sad 1

Sometimes they do, but he is a click bait merchant that is playing to his audience pure and simply.

Always hedging his bets and making silly remarks he can not back up.  

There is many reasons for many to not have an EV and the expense of running them for those that have not all the benefits of the HMRC / Tax payer help, cheap charging etc is maybe the biggie.  

All the other stuff, materials, insurance, short life of the battery, vehicle etc is discussed over and over and over.

Tyres, Cats / metals, Brake materials polluting is as much an issue with ICE vehicles as Tyres and Brake material is with EV,s. 

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

I like the sound of this, although obviously not as much as I like the sound of a V8 (or V10, V12, Flat 6, straight 6.....) 

Disclaimer: there is no sound in the below article

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/british-firm-launches-shelf-hydrogen-fcev-powertrain

Why does everyone forget V4s (or even V2s)

2 minutes ago, Paws4Thot said:

V3 (three) 2-strokes.

Even rarer (NS409R springs to mind in the two wheeled world, although thought that was a 4 stroke)

31 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

Sometimes these people do make some good points, you shouldn't always automatically dismiss what people say based on what they previously said. 

I think there's an awful lot of smoke and not much fire over the benefits and problems of EVs.

As someone who wants to be left to his own devices, when I feel like I'm being coerced into a change I'm not interested in making, in this instance having to get an EV, I'm inclined to dig my heels in and put up a fight.

But right now, we don't have to get an EV. Make the EVs better and more people will want them. Force people into them and there will be resistance.

It's never a good thing to force things by law, as laws can be changed.

IMO the increasingly frail straws that are being clutched at now, like "tyre particulate emissions", are pretty weak arguments against EVs.

Few really care about "tyre emissions".

A less densely populated country would solve more environment problems in the UK than EVs ever will, and yet the population keeps growing year on year.

NOTE: Skip the video to the 5:00 minute mark and thereafter you'll see a lot of the particulate emission from the tyres.

Edited by EnterName
  • Like 3

This is where i have been with the MINI Electric this year. 

3 failed charging locations & Edinburgh Airport Park & Ride rapids have not been on since last years floods.

I have spent more charging the MINI since August last year than i did in 3 years / 60,000 miles with the Corsa Electric.  

The MINI needs charged before 100 miles covered and it has had some quite expensive sessions on chargers and charging at home @ about 21 pence a kWh,

Free charging mostly South Ayrshire, some in Angus.  Cheaper Public charging Perth & Kinross.

Screenshot 2024-03-07 08.40.38.jpg

Edited by Rooted
  • Love it! 1

1 minute ago, Rooted said:

This is where i have been with the MINI Electric this year. 

3 failed charging locations & Edinburgh Airport Park & Ride rapids have not been on since last years floods.

I have spent more charging the MINI since August last year than i did in 3 years / 60,000 miles with the Corsa Electric.  

Screenshot 2024-03-07 08.40.38.jpg

We’re currently staying just south of Oban. One thing I have noticed whilst out between there and say Fort William /mallaig/Skye is the number of EV charging points scattered around in “the middle of nowhere”. Possibly more than petrol stations. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rooted said:

Expensive in the Highlands & Islands for Highland Council chargers though.  

Screenshot 2024-03-07 08.55.48.jpg

Look on the bright side. They at least exist!!

• Sad 2

@Winston_Woof   They do after all about 70 million of our &  EU money went into getting them.

Sadly many are out of date, unreliable or no longer working or maintained.    SWARCO have the monopoly having been allowed to by the SNP Government.

Running CPS, being the provider of Chargers, being the maintenance company for many of the 32 local authorities.

Maybe later and inquiry to this too close relationship with Transport Scotland, SNP, the love in.  

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

We are discussing plans with friends to go on holiday to Scotland early summer, but would need to rent 7 seat car. I would very much prefer to rent an EV, public charging doesn't seem like an issue anymore, with open Tesla superchargers and Electroverse RFID, Unfortunately no EV options 😞 

Good points regarding servo-assisted brakes. I remember moving my Octy on a driveway with small incline, thought I didn't need to start the engine. There was a small moment of panic when brake felt like it didn't work.

This came up in the other forum, 200,000 km Ioniq 28. Battery has been cycled 1000 times.

https://www.ioniqforum.com/threads/who-is-the-ioniq-28kwh-ev-high-mileage-champion.37010/?post_id=597719&nested_view=1&sortby=oldest#post-597719

Edited by wyx087

@EnterName you hit the nail on the head, if the EVs were made attractive enough by making them more fit for purpose etc and the actual running costs could be seen to be much lower to everyone, then people would migrate to them naturally. That would get the air pollution cut with more speed then all the rules and laws could ever hope to achieve and then, if they do turn out not to be the magic pill after all, politicians would not be guilty of yet another failed policy. 

• Like 1

Saw this extrapolated stat from the EV forum.  The numbers are total ZEV soled based on the ZEV mandate.

This is all assuming annual overall car sales of 1.9 million cars in the UK.
End of 2023: 980,742
End of 2024: add 418k = 1,398,742 (22%)
End of 2025: 1,930,742 (28%)
End of 2026: 2,557,742 (33%)
End of 2027: 3,279,742 (38%)
End of 2028: 4,267,742 (52%)
End of 2029: 5,521,742 (66%)
End of 2030: 7,041,742 (80%)

So if people still don't think EV's are fit for purpose, infrastructure and manufacturers have their work cut out for next few years. I can only see price of ICE cars go one way to cover the fines and EV going the other way.

Good time to buy ICE now so it holds value? 😜

@wyx087that example of the Ionic shows that with the right support that electric cars could be a far higher percentage of all cars on the road today. It's upto governments to put the incentives in place. 

2 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

you shouldn't always automatically dismiss what people say based on what they previously said. 

Thats a pretty lame appeal for people to start reading your comments once again, if you asked advice of the network of people who feed you the unconfirmed reports they would surely come up with something catchier?

Actually recalling and acknowledging/owning what they have previously said gives someone plausibility.

Joking aside I realise the "always" negates my response 👍

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Thats a pretty lame appeal for people to start reading your comments once again, if you asked advice of the network of people who feed you the unconfirmed reports they would surely come up with something catchier?

Actually recalling and acknowledging/owning what they have previously said gives someone plausibility.

Joking aside I realise the "always" negates my response 👍

No it wasn't lame appeal at all but a statement of common sense. Oneday they may say something that rings a bell and might even be right. I dare say that when diesel cars were advocated, there were people like these YouTubers around who predicted the folly but lacked the platform to alert others to the problems, surely you can see that? 👍

Edited by Graham Butcher

When diesel cars became popular plenty were OK with Oil changes each 3,000 miles and a few years later ones that were @ 6,000 miles intervals.

Towing or just getting good economy solo. 

Rep Mobiles.  

EV,s are very much still rep mobiles, and now EV vans for commercial use.  

The Government had and still have incentives for that.      As it is the UK Government loves Taxing Oil & Gas and Electricity retailed by those providing public charging.

Hopefully in the future there is a fair taxation on miles driven by what ever vehicles and a fair cost for fuel to cover those miles.

Back in the day you used to know that it could take a days wages to fill a cars tank of fuel.  Low paid workers.

Now a gallon of fuel is a bit below the hourly rate of the 18-20 year old on the minimum wage.

If 16 years old @ getting £5.18 an hour not even enough for a gallon for using in a moped. 

• Like 1

My Grandfather said that from the 30's right up until the 80's two motoring costs were an absolute constant, a gallon o f petrol cost the same as an hours pay for a skilled man (we would say person now) and a single spark plug cost 5 shillings and when I checked he was absolutely spot on.

Spark plugs got cheaper with mass production techniques and road fuel became cheaper in real terms and vehicle ownership became democratised and available to the masses.

When I had my moped a gallon of fuel was far far more than an hours wage as an apprentice, I will have to do some googling to see how much.

• Like 1