what do you like and dislike about your Octavia?

I've had my estate for a week, its a company car and here are my first impressions:

The handling is fairly good and the suspension is not too stiff

Big boot

Mine has only 5 gears which is annoying as the gears are spaced quite far apart. I'm surprised they still do 5 gears on the entry level option

Engine noise from the diesel very noticeable - more soundproofing required!

3 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

I suspect you may have an Octavia 4 since it's a 2020 model and a company car - probably better to ask in the Octavia 4 forum?

I'm not sure why you suspect that. It's a 70 plate and not the new styling.

I agree on the sound proofing, the road noise is quite intrusive, the diesel sound although loud is bearable... I find it runs quieter on good quality fuel.

I think the headlights are quite poor as standard, very little throw. My car also seems to have a rattle in the seatbelt adjuster, becomes annoying on longer trips with it being next to my ear.

Other than that, it is a good all-rounder for the money. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mccririck said:

I'm not sure why you suspect that. It's a 70 plate and not the new styling.

Because first deliveries of the Octavia 4 started in 2020 plus so  you only said you've only had it for a week?

I take it that it wasn't new when you got it a week ago?

2 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

Because first deliveries of the Octavia 4 started in 2020 plus so  you only said you've only had it for a week?

I take it that it wasn't new when you got it a week ago?

No it wasn't new it had 20k miles on the clock. The person who used to have it left the company. They also seem to have left a sick smell in it so I'm going to have to use my carpet cleaner on the upholstery.

It tells you at the top of this forum that the MK3 is from 2013 to 2020. There will have been a lot of this model unregistered until 2020 that they probably sold off at a discount to leasing companies.

On 30/11/2021 at 08:35, mccririck said:

I've had my estate for a week, its a company car and here are my first impressions:

The handling is fairly good and the suspension is not too stiff

Big boot

Mine has only 5 gears which is annoying as the gears are spaced quite far apart. I'm surprised they still do 5 gears on the entry level option

Engine noise from the diesel very noticeable - more soundproofing required!

The internal capacity and practicality of the Octavia wagon is exceptional compared to its current contemporaries although if you look back at British Leyland models, and rivals of that era, they could be even better (but ONLY in that internal efficiency aspect).

The five speed manual gearbox is a holdover from the NEDC consumption tests where a five speed could achieve better results than a six speed. It was a negative quirk of that particular test but I'm not sure if that is still true for the WLTP test. 

The 5 speed manual was not a problem on the 1.9pd mk2 I previously owned but others on Briskoda who have driven both the 1.9pd and the 1.6tdi (similar power/torque specs) suggest the latter has noticeably less low rev torque so the 5 speed could well be more of an issue for the 1.6tdi. Apparently a few more revs help rather than trying to slog it.

I've not driven a VW 1.6tdi (not common in Australia) but I did drive a Kia 1.6d in Britain and I had to make full use of the 6 speed manual box to get the best economy/performance due to a low torque hole that one had.

VW diesels are quite distinctively noisy, our old dog knew the sound of ours and for a while still got quite excited by any VW diesel that drove by after we replaced ours.

A  few people have fitted more soundproofing to their privately owned Octavia but you would not do it to a company provided car.

Some owners have reported exceptionally good economy figures for the 1.6tdi, especially on a run. Again I guess as it is a company car and the business probably pay for the fuel you are not really bothered with that aspect.

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Warrior193 said:

I have found very little to dislike with my Octavia - apart from the air-pressure drumming with rear windows open.   

Ohh is that the proper term for it? Happened twice when kids been in back with windows open, bloody horrible and made me feel a little nauseated! 

So far, love: the boot space, and the leg space. Dual temp control and vents in the back. MPG so far

Dislike: no phone plug in - getting smart link activated soon though. 

No cup holders in back. No cruise control but hopefully fitting soon. Quite noisy coming from a petrol to a diesel. Also hate how messy diesel pumps are! Current boot sensor error is driving me crazy. 

However, I actually really like the car and once smartlink and CC are in I'll have very little to grumble about! 

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

5 hours ago, I_am_Beki said:

Ohh is that the proper term for it? Happened twice when kids been in back with windows open, bloody horrible and made me feel a little nauseated! 

So far, love: the boot space, and the leg space. Dual temp control and vents in the back. MPG so far

Dislike: no phone plug in - getting smart link activated soon though. 

No cup holders in back. No cruise control but hopefully fitting soon. Quite noisy coming from a petrol to a diesel. Also hate how messy diesel pumps are! Current boot sensor error is driving me crazy. 

However, I actually really like the car and once smartlink and CC are in I'll have very little to grumble about! 

Open one set of diagonally opposite windows an equal amount and the drumming is not noticeable and it improves through ventilation (Covid tip).

Don't you have cup holders in the rear dropdown central armrest?

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

Open one set of diagonally opposite windows an equal amount and the drumming is not noticeable and it improves through ventilation (Covid tip).

Don't you have cup holders in the rear dropdown central armrest?

Oh that's a great tip thanks! 

For some reason it doesn't have the drop down arm rest. So the kids are only allowed bottles in the back because I'm not having a McDonald's milkshake incident again! 

• Like 1

I like the styling on my 2020 SE Technology, the boot space, the interior is slightly bland but effective. Apple car play is good as are the little extras on the SE such as heated mirrors and centre arm rest. It handles quite well and is smooth on the motorway.

I don't like the juddery clutch, the noisy and intrusive 1.5 TSI petrol engine, the crappy acceleration from zero on a 150bhp car, the creaking top mounts, the notchy and uneven steering, the poor paint finish, the cheap, horrible carpets, the horrible drive at low speeds, the unstable nature of it when it's windy and so on.

I don't find the steering on mine notchy. I actually quite like it it's smooth and not too direct. I drove a Focus for a few weeks before I got the Octavia and didn't like the Focus steering. There was no real feeling of connection with the road and it was not as easy to judge lines.

With the Octavia I found in the car settings you can select sports steering. There are three options for the steering and three for the engine mapping economy, normal and sports I think it is. I have engine normal and steering sports.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mccririck said:

I don't find the steering on mine notchy. I actually quite like it it's smooth and not too direct. I drove a Focus for a few weeks before I got the Octavia and didn't like the Focus steering. There was no real feeling of connection with the road and it was not as easy to judge lines.

With the Octavia I found in the car settings you can select sports steering. There are three options for the steering and three for the engine mapping economy, normal and sports I think it is. I have engine normal and steering sports.

Its not engine mapping. It just changes the throttle response. You can achieve the same result jus my by modulating your foot pressure on the peddle. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SC03OTT said:

Its not engine mapping. It just changes the throttle response. You can achieve the same result jus my by modulating your foot pressure on the peddle. 

Ah ok. what does the steering thing actually do?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mccririck said:

I'm not a huge fan of the rubber handle to pull the boot shut.

+ this, just seems to be wrong length - or in wrong position to fall to hand without looking.

13 hours ago, SC03OTT said:

Anything to back this up? My 245 feels very flat in eco mode even at full throttle. Also boost gauge reads lower in eco at FT. Appreciate this is anecdotal, having not had it on a rolling road! 

Back on topic:

Like: the performance, looks, seats, towing ability, remote handles to drop the rear seats, infotainment and that several 2.4m loft boards fit inside! Also no issues / faults since getting it new.

Dislike: the road noise and big wheels/uncomfortable tyres.

It really is a fantastic car. It'll be 4 years old in Feb and I've no desire to change it. 

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

The only thing which can grate on me a little is the ingress of road noise within the cabin.

I'm quite tolerant of it coming from daily driving a tranny van for so many years, but I feel putting an extra layer at the front to shield the engine noise and a bit within the boot area would beneficial. The latter is on my to do list

Had my 1.6TDi for 56k miles and nearly 5 years. Apart from the noise that has already been mentioned and a desire for a 6th gear there is little to fault really. The car feels solid and ideal for trips way with the huge boot. I like the climate control especially. Only part that been replaced, apart from consumables is a fuel pressure sensor that failed at about 36K when car went into limp mode. 

Over the past 18 months I have had Scala, Kamiq and Octavia IV courtesy cars and none have inspired me enough to consider trading in my Octavia. 

• Like 4