RE: 2006 vrS OWNERS STUTTER - SKODA UK FIX

Done just over 1k in mine now, I've noticed the same issue, only very slightly though. I'm wondering if the modified EGR gaskets are fitted as standard to the latest models (mines an 07), or if I need to book it in to have it fitted... Its difficult to know as I've nothing to compare how bad my stutter is compared to previous models! Any advice?

I have had a modified egr gasket fitted and also felt the running was rough after it had been done. I have just driven my sisters 05 VRs back to back with mine and hers goes like a ba***rd compared to mine - lots more punch low down. Mine has now done 6500 miles and hers has done 11000 so I don't see it being a running in issue. Her brakes are awesome compared to mine also - will be back to the dealers with a list!! Anyone else had simmilar experiences?

I have had a modified egr gasket fitted and also felt the running was rough after it had been done. I have just driven my sisters 05 VRs back to back with mine and hers goes like a ba***rd compared to mine - lots more punch low down. Mine has now done 6500 miles and hers has done 11000 so I don't see it being a running in issue. Her brakes are awesome compared to mine also - will be back to the dealers with a list!! Anyone else had simmilar experiences?

it will run in more and loosen up more between 6.5k and 11k... about 10k it'll be running as it always will...

the brakes thing... now there's a can of worms opened! lol... some people on here think the vRS brakes are crap, but I have never had a problem (and driven many very fast cars) my vRS's brakes are up to the job....

however , as you stated, I think it changes from car to car, my friend has a 54 plate vRS, and he's happy with it, but he had a drive in mine, and said "wow!!! your brakes are much much better than mine!" and I've heard this before.... so I still think they sometimes use different suppliers for the brake materials (or the same suppliers change materials randomly) ... teccies on here will probably say this is rubbish, but I've heard loads of people say the brakes differ from car to car....

I have a chip for sale that'll make yours go faster ;)eBay.co.uk: PD 130 chip,fault code reader/resetter skoda seat VW (item 200094051798 end time 03-Apr-07 11:56:48 BST)

it'll make your car smoke at low revs though, and it may shag up your nice new EGR valve :o

the brakes thing... now there's a can of worms opened! lol... some people on here think the vRS brakes are crap, but I have never had a problem (and driven many very fast cars) my vRS's brakes are up to the job....

however , as you stated, I think it changes from car to car, my friend has a 54 plate vRS, and he's happy with it, but he had a drive in mine, and said "wow!!! your brakes are much much better than mine!" and I've heard this before.... so I still think they sometimes use different suppliers for the brake materials (or the same suppliers change materials randomly) ... teccies on here will probably say this is rubbish, but I've heard loads of people say the brakes differ from car to car....

Staying on the brake issue for a moment - I agree.. I'm onto my 2nd privately owned vRS & have driven another couple on 30min road tests. Braking differed in both initial 'bite' & also in the amount of brake dust generated. Would seem to suggest a variation in components/materials - pads maybe? I haven't played around with my latest car's brake set up, as they are one of the stronger ones I've driven (& with low dust). ;)

Back to the stutter - my '06 vRS was an ex-demo from my local stealer & only had 2.2k on the clock when I bought it. Although the car shows signs of a small stutter, the idle is definitely rougher & noisier. I have to try real hard to get my '06 to hesitate (v.slightly) - usual 1900rpm, back off throttle then re-apply etc.. normal driving day-to-day is fine.

I'd love to know 100% what makes the older '04 plate EU3 engines different to the later EU4 versions (just a different size hole in the EGR gasket, or is it also ECU based?).

I'd gladly go back to the EU3 spec, just for the better engine running characteristics alone.. :o

Seems to be a lot of variation in peoples experiences once they have had the modified gasket fitted. And i digress, maybe because Skoda have not issued a standard modified gasket, but rather they have left it up to the individual mechanic (who is not an engineer) to increase the hole by XXX Millimeter.

See here > Fabia-vrs.com - Hesitation around 1800 rpm - Fabia vRS - BLT engine code.

My conclusion Dr. Watson is that some dealers are fitting the aforementioned gasket, but......................wait for it. Not drilling it out to the recomended UK diameter to keep within EURO 4 emissions spec, just fitting the aforementioned part. Thereby retaining a satisfied customer.

Mine has been modified correctly as per SKODA UK TSB and it runs like a dog. And the stutter is back same as before after 12,000 miles+.

I had the car remapped and the stutter dissapeared. Smoother tickover (not shaking my false teeth out at traffic lights), better MPG, just like a diesel should be. i`m now back to standard after having DMF shudder and my idea is to go and get one of those EGR gaskets for an 05 plate EU3 emission car, fit it and see how i go on. I`ll let you all know.

Seems to be a lot of variation in peoples experiences once they have had the modified gasket fitted. And i digress, maybe because Skoda have not issued a standard modified gasket, but rather they have left it up to the individual mechanic (who is not an engineer) to increase the hole by XXX Millimeter.

See here > Fabia-vrs.com - Hesitation around 1800 rpm - Fabia vRS - BLT engine code.

My conclusion Dr. Watson is that some dealers are fitting the aforementioned gasket, but......................wait for it. Not drilling it out to the recomended UK diameter to keep within EURO 4 emissions spec, just fitting the aforementioned part. Thereby retaining a satisfied customer.

Mine has been modified correctly as per SKODA UK TSB and it runs like a dog. And the stutter is back same as before after 12,000 miles+.

I had the car remapped and the stutter dissapeared. Smoother tickover (not shaking my false teeth out at traffic lights), better MPG, just like a diesel should be. i`m now back to standard after having DMF shudder and my idea is to go and get one of those EGR gaskets for an 05 plate EU3 emission car, fit it and see how i go on. I`ll let you all know.

It's a nice theory - but if you don't drill it, the Engine Management Warning Lamp comes on on the dashboard. I think you'll find you have to drill it a little bit to get a proper fix, but the car still won't pass EuroIV in that state, so Skoda cannot officially allow it, but the document above tells you how big a hole tio drill to get the engine to run smoothly and keep the lights on the dashboard off.

What's DMF?

Dual Mass Flywheel...

the remap cured it, because they will have just turned the standard EGR valve down electronically.... can you not just get some nice friendly briskodian with VAGCOM to do that, and see if it's cured like it was when it was remapped? (or remap it with much less torque to help with the DMF vibration..)

I think my Ltd Ed has the st..t.t.utt.e...err

Can't say that's a surprise!

If it makes you feel better so has mine - or used to?

I'm not sure where mine is at, I had the gasket fix done and this was much better but still evident.:)

Have had the car hooked up to vag com and a little tweeking done and in 70 miles its not done it so, touch wood it's cured but not sure if engine is running a little rough?

Another week running round town and further for work should tell.:thumbup:

One thing that did show up on vag com was a discrepency on one of the injectors (cylinder 2 to be exact) I cant remember the menu/title and we couldn't find it again (too many shandies in the sun!) but the other 3 were showing at +0.2/0.24 and cylinder 2 showed -1.3???:confused:

Is this the stutter problem?

Anyone any views/info or should I just go to dealer and tell them what I have found!? (Still well under warranty)

BTW thesr readings were taken at tickover which showed as 840rpm.

Can you get the standard gasket from skoda, and fit it yourself, undrilled, replacing it for MOT time?

I thought that the current MOT for diesels doesn't test emissions, only takes smoke readings. So should be fine.

And yes the gasket is available from Skoda. Thought about replacing mine, but to be honest I never notice it stuttering anyway :)

I've been saying this for ages -

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/fabia/re-2006-vrs-owners-stutter-skoda-uk-fix/54512/18/#post759762

It's a gasket with a modified aperture to 14.5mm, the previous 9mm one seems to work but causes a failure of the Euro IV emmisions and hence cannot be applied by SUK. There would be no reason why an owner couldn't fit his own one with a 9mm gasket if that suited his car better.

I know, i heard, but wasn`t listening. Doh! :thumbup:

So what size is your new (old) gasket in the hole measuring dept??

I think mine is sorted now just being nosy.

Seems a bit easy to say " Euro IV compliance? certainly sir just let me change this gasket!"

Mind you they couldn't have done much more to leave them all with stutters!

Hope this makes sense as I have been supping all afternoon!!

They're cheap for a reason!!

(the cars not the gaskets!)

Is that 9mm then?

Just read thread more thoroughly!

Err, just boot it and it wont matter!

I know it does matter tho!

Better say no more apart from mine runs so much better with EGR turned down.

Love n peace to all!

Firstly, apologies for my last couple of blethering posts.

Note to self: dont go near computer after alcohol!

So after saying mine is cured the darn thing has started doing it again!:mad:

Looks like I need to spend

My car has had the fix done and runs a little rougher than it did before. If i bought my own gaskett which isnt EURO IV compliant (9mm) - which to be honest i couldn't give a monkeys if its compliant or not, will it run better and have no stutter?

Also, how easy is it to obtain/fit the gaskett?

My car has had the fix done and runs a little rougher than it did before. If i bought my own gaskett which isnt EURO IV compliant (9mm) - which to be honest i couldn't give a monkeys if its compliant or not, will it run better and have no stutter?

Also, how easy is it to obtain/fit the gaskett?

Check out Mouse's post on the previous page, he's even got the part number for us!

Funnily enough I was just about to ring and order one myself but came on 'ere to see whats going on? Whole heap o' gasket sales by the feel of it!:D

If you are thinking of doing this I would buy the gasket sooner rather than later before Skoda issue a revised part against that number.

I just ordered mine and all seems well, pick up friday.

No prizes for guessing what I'm doing on saturday morning.