5G Download Speeds - What Can you Get?

john999boy

If I'm in a different location I quite often run Speedtest (by Ookla) on my mobile for no other reason than to see the what speed the network is giving me.

Sometimes I find that even if I'm getting a 5G signal it might not be as fast as a 4G signal elsewhere.

It did however come as quite a surprise to get the following speeds as they were well over twice as fast (for download) as I'd seen elsewhere.

679⬇️

72 ⬆️

1451375411_5GSpeed679-72.thumb.png.c79c086b81acd315c20c214ea3e19f38.png

What speeds have you seen and what's the maximum 5G could go to?

• 3 months later...

Pretty impressive speeds. My other half has an unlimited tariff with Vodafone and 5G. Done a couple of tests and we've seen a max of about 500.

I personally just have a cheap unlimited data contract but my speeds are limited to just 10mb/s. You might think that sounds painfully slow but it's still adequate for streaming HD Netflix and Youtube etc. And I'm allowed to tether so can use my Chrome Tablet out and about too.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
16 hours ago, WaveyDavey said:

These are my top 3 and are all on Three around the North Sheffield area.

5G - what's that?

Large areas of Wiltshire I drive in still only have 3G coverage on Vodafone (no 4G or 5G) - and they've started turning off 3G this month which will leave some areas with no usable mobile data at all (I'm not counting 2.5G GPRS or 2.75G EGPRS as usable mobile data).

Vodafone is switching off 3G from June 2023

Edited by PetrolDave

50 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

5G - what's that?

Large areas of Wiltshire I drive in still only have 3G coverage on Vodafone (no 4G or 5G) - and they've started turning off 3G this month which will leave some areas with no usable mobile data at all (I'm not counting 2.5G GPRS or 2.75G EGPRS as usable mobile data).

Vodafone is switching off 3G from June 2023

That's not just an issue in rural areas my mum's house in Sheffield, despite being in a decent, well populated residential area with generally good coverage is on Vodafone and can only get 3G at home as she's in some wierd coverage 'hole'.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We're in a dip with a cellular shadow, we're also near the motorway which means if it's busy the cell we're in can shrink and we lose connectivity.
Your download speeds are affected badly by contention, if the 5G is at 100% then you might well find more speed from connecting to a 4G at 50%.

3G going, I feel old, I remember when it was a big new thing. Actually I remember when 2G was quite the bees knees....actually I remember G 😪.

3000-years-ago.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Aspman said:

3G going, I feel old, I remember when it was a big new thing. Actually I remember when 2G was quite the bees knees....actually I remember G 😪.

The first mobile I designed was an analogue TACS phone, which predates any of the digital GSM/CDMA ones.

• Like 2

On 25/08/2023 at 09:27, PetrolDave said:

The first mobile I designed was an analogue TACS phone, which predates any of the digital GSM/CDMA ones.

Our first family mobile was an early GSM orbitel 902

On 24/08/2023 at 13:44, Aspman said:

We're in a dip with a cellular shadow, we're also near the motorway which means if it's busy the cell we're in can shrink and we lose connectivity.
Your download speeds are affected badly by contention, if the 5G is at 100% then you might well find more speed from connecting to a 4G at 50%.

3000-years-ago.jpg

Hutchinson telecom? 😁

On 24/08/2023 at 13:44, Aspman said:

3G going, I feel old, I remember when it was a big new thing. Actually I remember when 2G was quite the bees knees....actually I remember G 😪

i remember WAP.... 

• Like 1

I remember pre-mobile phones when you had to get information from the reference library, ask your parents to use the landline phone (only during cheap rate and for local calls) and knocking on your mates door to see if they were playing out.

I even remember having a party line on the phone and having to ask the operator to connect a call.

• Like 4

Do children these days actually know what "playing out means"?

Heck do their parents!

Some 20 years ago I was with my sister in the car close to the area that we grew up in, I was several years after her and my eldest sister but hung around the same places and did the same things but 7 and 10 years later, so we went for a walk around memory lane.

We got to where the park should have been with swings, slides etc and it had all been taken up even the tarmac and was now just par of the untended forest and scrubland around it, she told me that all the play areas in the town had been removed because of drugs, vandalism etc at least a decade ago, I said to her where did your kids go out to play then? (they were about 20 then) and she said "County Mall" the new shopping centre, a place to worship consumerism which made me feel very sad for them.

The internet was fairly new then and kids did not have mobile phones with internet, nowadays I never ever see kids playing out with friends and it makes me realise that there parents probably didn't either.

On 29/08/2023 at 16:04, mac11irl said:

i remember WAP.... 

I do too 🥲

On 29/08/2023 at 17:56, Liger1956 said:

I remember pre-mobile phones when you had to get information from the reference library, ask your parents to use the landline phone (only during cheap rate and for local calls) and knocking on your mates door to see if they were playing out.

I even remember having a party line on the phone and having to ask the operator to connect a call.

I think I was in my 20s beforeI had a mobile. Not particularly liking using the phone full stop it never seemed like a very appealing tech to me.