How to close boot without killing dog?

Hi, I have a superb hatchback and would like to put my dog in the boot, but I’m worried that she might decide to jump out whilst the electric boot is closing. Can the boot be closed manually or is there another workaround for this issue? Cheers. 

Could you leave the boot closed, fold down one of the back seats, put her into the boot through a back door and then put the seat back up?  Would she be a little nervous if you but her in the boot and then she sees a large tailgate coming down towards her?

Thanks for your reply. That is an excellent suggestion. The only issue is that I’ve installed a cage behind the headrests to stop her jumping over. And this doesn’t allow me fold the seats down because it goes up to the roof. 

Have heard of an elastic cargo net that can be clipped in once the dog is actually in the boot, then the electric tailgate closed  (but not actually saw it myself).
So I don’t know was it something readily available or something adapted or home made. 

Depending on how you feel about it, you can code out the bleeping when the tailgate is closing. Also is nice for late at night when unloading the car, don’t feel like you’re going to wake the neighbours. 

Time the boot closure and also the dogs treat inhaling time, divide one into the other and supply relevant number of treats, or train the dog to sit when told.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GRIFF4226 said:

That’s a good idea. Do you know how to do it?

U can use either VCDS or OBDEleven to disable the tailgate beep, using these instructions:-

1637644643_Screenshot_20220702-1030322.thumb.png.b7f4618f11c4877a5c569428b209d6f3.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

just be careful if you've got the kick sensor for closing the boot (or whatever its called) I turned off my beep, and I've been smacked on the head on more than one occasion, because the cat has triggered it to close, or I've triggered with my foot by accident. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have the combi/estate version and the auto tailgate closure is a real hazard! It is so powerful it is really difficult to stop if you accidentally close by wiggling you foot under the bumper when loading. I am surprised there hasn’t been more complaints about it, it was mentioned as a particular hazard on Autogefuhl when they reviewed the car.

Edited by coppertop
spelling

I was worried about the electric tailgate with my GSD, I always watch from the side when it's closing so I don't trap his ears!

He has learnt that when I say "mind your ears" he puts his head under the roof line. I am prepared to shove my arm in if required!!

On my 2019 estate, it only beeps when opening/closing when I use the keyfob or button by DSG shifter

Obedience training.

You need to teach your dog to sit and stay. The dog should know the basics. Heel, sit, drop, stay, come and return to the heel position plus fetch and be able to do it both on lead and off lead.

If it’s any consolation, my dog did exactly what you describe when we first picked her up and the lowering tailgate caught her across the back but stopped instantly, rising slightly, when it touched her. She was moving at the time and there was enough room for her to get out when it stopped.

Whilst it’s not ideal, it’ll hopefully set your mind at rest that pooch isn’t in too much danger.