Pop pop,SOS

Varoom - well done!  That is the part they have ordered and are replacing soon! I assume owing to ESIM connectivity issues…. which I guess effects the ability to connect to the Emergency SOS Service? 

So if you don’t mind my picking your brains further…what exactly  IS the ‘Head Unit’ …. just in case the above part doesn’t correct the fault

(I have SW 1886 installed and PoP Pop SOS ‘seems’ to be the single outstanding glitch)

4 minutes ago, PoloPaul said:

Varoom - well done!  That is the part they have ordered and are replacing soon! I assume owing to ESIM connectivity issues…. which I guess effects the ability to connect to the Emergency SOS Service? 

So if you don’t mind my picking your brains further…what exactly  IS the ‘Head Unit’ …. just in case the above part doesn’t correct the fault

(I have SW 1896 installed and PoP Pop SOS ‘seems’ to be the single outstanding glitch)

Yeah it's the eSIM part that gives you the SOS and online services if you pay.

The 'head unit' actual brains of the infotainment system probably lives in the glovebox area usually

422950842_InfotainmentUnit5Faddress.png.b03d05b914d935e8a09041606269f55b.png

• Love it! 1

6 minutes ago, varooom said:

Yeah it's the eSIM part that gives you the SOS and online services if you pay.

The 'head unit' actual brains of the infotainment system probably lives in the glovebox area usually

422950842_InfotainmentUnit5Faddress.png.b03d05b914d935e8a09041606269f55b.png

Wow. That is really good information. Thank you so much for taking the time and care to answer my query 👏👏👏

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PoloPaul said:

Wow. That is really good information. Thank you so much for taking the time and care to answer my query 👏👏👏

Here is an example image of the offending unit.  Hard to believe this is around £930 inc VAT.

619812249_ExampleOCU.thumb.png.e43b2ab076d4dd7da03275a2b819a84f.png

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Into the dealers for its first service and to address the pop pop issue. I was told "The battery in the unit was low and we have recharged it. That will fix it."

Well, I understand the unit has a small battery in it to power the emergency call if the normal 12V supply has been disrupted in a crash, but..... the car is being driven normally and yet this battery is not holding charge. Sometimes it occurs after a good couple of hours of driving by which point you might have thought all subsidiary batteries would have been fully charged. So either the battery in the unit is defective or the unit itself is defective. I have no confidence I'm not going to see the issue again. We shall see. 30% of the time it pops the navigation falls over if I'm using it.

On 25/10/2022 at 18:20, Kikolf said:

Hi all, 

Today appeared in my octavia IV (manufactured in 06/2021) the SOS fault, Park Assist fault, and the biggest problem, the infotainment is off. If I try to turn on pressing 7 or 8 seconds, he turn on and enter in cycle, turning on and off, and finnaly became off again.

I cant choose between hybrid/electric, using AC, radio, nothing... Because the infotainment stays off.

Anyone with similar problem? I booked with my dealership this week to diagnose the problem.

The car has 7k km.

I have similar problems. I got the 1896 software update 2 months ago which fixed all of my faults, ACC, headlights etc. All was good until 3 weeks ago. Pop/SOS occurred. ACC problems again, SOS, Stability control ESC, Front assist, Manoeuvre braking, Park distance control, Start/stop, Hill start assist, Lane assist, tyre pressure loss indicator, Electronic parking brake, blank infotainment screen so no radio, reverse camera, voice control, sat nav, temperature settings, heated seats etc….
It’s in the garage on Wednesday to be fixed yet again. 

Following update to SW 1896, like so many others, I experienced the  ‘Pop-Pop- SOS’ fault and the associated loss of functions. The system seemed  to struggle for internet connectivity. Mostly connection was made during a journey but not always.

After two years of ownership and numerous SW updates SkodaService arranged for the ‘Onboard Communications Unit’ to be changed. 

I have had the car back for three days and so-far have not experienced any further  ‘Pop-Pop’ SOS or loss of functions. 

• Like 1

Just now, PoloPaul said:

After 1 week with the new OCU I have experienced no further instance of ‘Pop Pop SOS’ with loss of function. I will update further in a few weeks. 

Excellent news. My car is going back in next week to be looked at for a third time. I've mentioned replacing the OCU to them twice now, with no confirmation that they will do it.

Do you know how your OCU came to be replaced? Was it the dealer idea or a direction from Skoda UK? I really don't want my car going in for 2 day to come out with these issues still present.

Skoda UK

10 hours ago, JamesK said:

Excellent news. My car is going back in next week to be looked at for a third time. I've mentioned replacing the OCU to them twice now, with no confirmation that they will do it.

Do you know how your OCU came to be replaced? Was it the dealer idea or a direction from Skoda UK? I really don't want my car going in for 2 day to come out with these issues 

• 3 weeks later...

4 weeks since I was dogged by problems to do with connection to the Server. These  faults included the ‘Pop Pop SOS’ issue only arose  following on upgrading to SW 1896  six months ago. Since having the OCU (Onboard Communications Unit) replaced 4 weeks ago I have had no further problems. 

• Love it! 1

18 minutes ago, PoloPaul said:

4 weeks since I was dogged by problems to do with connection to the Server. These  faults included the ‘Pop Pop SOS’ issue only arose  following on upgrading to SW 1896  six months ago. Since having the OCU (Onboard Communications Unit) replaced 4 weeks ago I have had no further problems. 

Well, I’m a week into having my car back where they expressly refused to replace the OCU, despite me asking them twice to do so. I am now on the 1896 software. Within a few days I had issues with the car. The latest is that shortly after starting the car, the infotainment crashes and reboots, followed by about 4 errors relating to the the park assist feature failing. So far I have not had the SOS system reboot though.

I have a case open with the “executive office” at Skoda UK. Their response today has been “as a car is a mechanical object it is difficult to determine when a fault or failure will take place”. You literally couldn’t make it up.

I had previously asked them if they could ensure the OCU was replaced as I didn’t want another trip to the dealer, and they refused. They said if I’m unhappy I can go to the Ombudsman. 

As there is no Pop Pop SOS syndrome following SW 1896…….is it possible that the cause of those irritating  issues may lie other than with the OCU?

When my car had issues that my Service Partner was unable to replicate/solve I raised complaints with SkodaExecutive. If they felt I had had tried but could make no further progress myself with my Service Partner they would talk to to them directly. My Service Partner then on one occasion discovered a fault code where they could find none before and on another applied a SW update that had been “missed” alongside the SW 1896 upgrade.

I don't believe I had the OCU changed to fix my Pop Pop SOS issue. After "charging the battery of the SOS unit" failed to achieve anything, "the software in the unit was updated". Which appears to have fixed the issue (4 weeks now.....).

In another thread, Varoom refers to the TPI relating to this fault not being correctly applied. Perhaps this is the case here but you do have to take dealer statements with a pinch of salt. The complexity of the issue may be beyond some dealers... . The number of faults JamesK reports does seem to indicate a more difficult issue than I had. But my car did have the mad bonging of the "Front Assist not available" fixed in April.

• Like 1

The frustration for me is the endless trips to the dealers, and I find myself needing to ensure I have got video/photo evidence of the fault occurring, or they are quick to say "no fault found".

In my case the car went in for a week in October and nothing was fixed. It went back for a week in November, and to be fair there has been improvements. But within 4 days of having it back there's yet another software fault which it now needs to go back in for.

It's a round trip of 2 hours to take the car up to the dealer, get a loan vehicle and get home, so it is becoming pretty tiresome.

• Like 1

OK where are people up to with this. My car has been in today almost 12 months after the issue initially occurred on my 70 plate Octavia vRS and the dealership don't know where to go next. Everything that they have been advised to do has been done and the fault still exists. I'm getting to the point where I'm seriously questioning what I can do to change the car, even had that discussion at the dealership today. 

On 19/12/2022 at 19:24, Jmagee said:

OK where are people up to with this. My car has been in today almost 12 months after the issue initially occurred on my 70 plate Octavia vRS and the dealership don't know where to go next. Everything that they have been advised to do has been done and the fault still exists. I'm getting to the point where I'm seriously questioning what I can do to change the car, even had that discussion at the dealership today. 

My car has now been in three times for various faults to be fixed. Most of them seem to be fixed after the 1896 software update. Some are not fixed, and some new ones have been created.

A few months ago I sent an e-mail to the Skoda UK CEO, Matthew Bowden. I got a response within a day to say that he was unhappy with the issues I was experiencing and was asking his "Executive Team" to investigate as a matter of priority.

My experience of the Executive Team is that they are not interested in the faults with the vehicle. They are only interested in the dealer experience. They insist that they have no line of communication with any technical department within Skoda UK, and it is only the dealer technicians who can talk with the Skoda UK technical department. I commented that I was fed up with recurring issues not being fixed and having repeat trips to my nearest dealer. The response back has been "All Retailer’s are able to utilise a technical communication platform where they can liaise directly with Technicians and escalate your issue to the correct level of Technical expertise. I will of course request that the correct technical escalation platforms are utilised if required to ensure the retailer are doing everything they can to repair your vehicle to the best possible standard". Of course after the most recent visit I found some issues had not been fixed, new ones created - so it means yet another trip to the dealer.

The aftersales manager commented to me that they are having a lot of Octavia's in with exactly the same issues I have been experiencing. If you multiply that by the number of dealers, and all those dealers contacting Skoda for advice I do not believe for a minute Skoda's technical department are not seeing a bigger issue here. It seems very strange that each dealer seems to be getting different advice from Skoda.

• Thanks 1

@5 mins 38.

Skoda / VW Uk really get away with it and Motoring Journals / Journalists are just letting them carry on as they do.

Some will mention it, but really it needs to be asked of the Brand Directors just WTF do they think they are doing messing paying customers about.

Dealership Group Owners & Directors of Skoda Dealerships are part of the 3 monkeys behaviour and Customers / Owners need to be communicating with them, 

maybe via a Solicitor. 

Exactly.  So Bob Flavin tells it like it is and Tim in the Vid.   Honest John did and then VW Daimler Benz have Heycars and own Honest John.    Lord Michael Heseltine's Haymarket Media Group so Autocar, Piston Heads are not ever going to say much.  HMG even do VW Group Launches and the Lord was the middle man in VW buying Bentley.    

• Like 1

Feel a bit sorry for the dealership in all of this but I'm guessing if it keeps being pushed then they'll come up with a solution.

My biggest issue is having to take it to the dealership costing me time, money and adding miles to the car every time it goes in.