MK3 245 vrs reliability? Skoda still quality?

@Kenaiposted this a while back, it gives some ideas of dates for the initial 245 model that doesn't have the GPF:

There are 3 'versions' of the Mk3 vRS with a 245bhp drivetrain.

Chronologically, the first is the 'vRS 245', which launched in the summer of 2017 and was a special edition vehicle (with standard fit optional extras) that sat as the range topper above the regular vRS with 230bhp. The following year, the 230bhp drivetrain was discontinued and the regular vRS received the 245bhp drivetrain - this also often gets referred to as a '245' so as to distinguish it from the earlier 230bhp cars. This was shortly followed by a new range topper, the '245 Challenge Edition' which was very similar to the original 'special edition' 245 with some standard fit extras.

You'll find the original version mostly on 67 and 18 plates, with a handful of 17 plates (and possibly a few 68 plates). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My MY19 has been a nightmare to own and hate it with a passion. It goes next month, if I could afford to I'd pay to put it in a crusher so it doesn't inflict any more misery on some unsuspecting owner. 

Locking - Been locked out 3 times. 

Oil sensor - failed 7 times

Thermostat - failed twice

Infotainment system - failed 6 times. 

VC - Blank 4 times

Park pilot - Couldn't park it of it tried despite being updated 

Camera - Replaced

Reversing sensors, Front Assist, ACC - all failed on multiple occasions and software updated. 

Still does the occasional emergency braking. 

So for me it's going to be goodbye and good riddance. 

If the new car plays up as much as this one, then it'll be handed back. 

Edited by TheWanderer
  • Sad 3

11 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

My MY19 has been a nightmare to own and hate it with a passion. It goes next month, if I could afford to I'd pay to put it in a crusher so it doesn't inflict any more misery on some unsuspecting owner. 

Locking - Been locked out 3 times. 

Oil sensor - failed 7 times

Thermostat - failed twice

Infotainment system - failed 6 times. 

VC - Blank 4 times

Park pilot - Couldn't park it of it tried despite being updated 

Camera - Replaced

Reversing sensors, Front Assist, ACC - all failed on multiple occasions and software updated. 

Still does the occasional emergency braking. 

So for me it's going to be goodbye and good riddance. 

If the new car plays up as much as this one, then it'll be handed back. 

Wow, under the Lemon Law our neighbours over the pond have, that one would surely qualify!

Pretty certain it would, it has also had three new headlights (two under warranty) and one had to be replaced a second time after some gob****e hit the car and broke it and then scarpered. 

Oh also had a new header bottle and water pump too. 

What makes me seethe is that it has gone in for a MOT and oil change and annual inspection and they have now told me that they want another £132 for spark plugs and £700 for both front door locks which have flagged up a fault code, a fault that has been extant for more that two years and they also want to charge me for a battery in the key fob, which I have just changed and they cheekily say that Duracell is not a reputable brand or good for the fob. 

Just more bull****, the last battery lasted 8 months, although I didn't get any warning from the car that it needed to be replaced and it was a good job that I keep new batteries in my wallet after last time.

Needless to say I have have declined their invitation to spend nearly £1000 on this **** heap which is due to be replaced in about 1 months time. 

Edited by TheWanderer
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

What makes me seethe is that it has gone in for a MOT and oil change and annual inspection and they have now told me that they want another £132 for spark plugs and £700 for both front door locks which have flagged up a fault code, a fault that has been extant for more that two years and they also want to charge me for a battery in the key fob, which I have just changed and they cheekily say that Duracell is not a reputable brand or good for the fob. 

Just more bull****, the last battery lasted 8 months, although I didn't get any warning from the car that it needed to be replaced and it was a good job that I keep new batteries in my wallet after last time.

Needless to say I have have declined their invitation to spend nearly £1000 on this **** heap which is due to be replaced in about 1 months time. 

I'm sorry to hear all that and thanks for sharing!

Your making me think my fabias not that bad lol 

Edited by Mattyboy91

That is quite a jump in price for them fitting 3 or 4 spark plugs to 2.0l & under petrol engine cars compared to 2021.

Maybe they are not a Participating Dealership. or just a p!55 taking one.  (They will be saying they are 'special spark plugs' like the Special Ones they might fit to a 3 cylinder car and charge the same money to supply and fit 1 plug less. 

1624336521_37335614_Screenshot2021-09-14at07_38_18(3).webp.3c042b3d60ff4f7eed63333aeb416947.webp

Mattyboy if you really want a vrs just go buy one their really good motors ,every make of car has its horror stories hence why forums have appeared ,folk rarely come on to say my cars running like a dream ,there places to get help with problems ,for every car thats s *** theres a thousand perfect ones 👍

Edited by Mickvrs220
  • Like 2

I have said it a million times. Do not exaggerate.

People do come to forums to moan, ask questions and report faults.  

Lots of people never do that until they are landed with a lemon, and wish they had checked the forums.  They are buying only one car, they want a good one.

There will be many many many very good ones, and they might be keepers.

But we never know how good cars are at over 5 years old until they have been on the go for 5 years old and been serviced well or maybe not serviced well. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mickvrs220 said:

Mattyboy if you really want a vrs just go buy one their really good motors ,every make of car has its horror stories hence why forums have appeared ,folk rarely come on to say my cars running like a dream ,there places to get help with problems ,for every car thats s *** theres a thousand perfect ones 👍

Yeah of course! :) I'm just asking for experiences, everyone's is different but it gives me a flavour. 

It's great question actually which year of vrs has been the most reliable? I like the sound of 14 to 17. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, toot said:

That is quite a jump in price for them fitting 3 or 4 spark plugs to 2.0l & under petrol engine cars compared to 2021.

Maybe they are not a Participating Dealership. or just a p!55 taking one.  (They will be saying they are 'special spark plugs' like the Special Ones they might fit to a 3 cylinder car and charge the same money to supply and fit 1 plug less. 

/cdn-cgi/mirage/d32907b7f0e4106a1b9bcd3a07800ef16b4b9a2bcc460bc2ecdaaf4ff4f4e4ec/1280/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_12/1624336521_37335614_Screenshot2021-09-14at07_38_18(3).webp.3c042b3d60ff4f7eed63333aeb416947.webp.5e6b0717fe9456fb7c8f5805128bdebb.webp

Booked in via the skoda.co.uk servicing website, MOT, service, oil change and inspection which was due next month. All fixed priced, which have gone up substantially 

Declined all unnecessary expensive work because I'm getting rid of the car. 

Edited by TheWanderer
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mattyboy91 said:

Yeah of course! :) I'm just asking for experiences, everyone's is different but it gives me a flavour. 

It's great question actually which year of vrs has been the most reliable? I like the sound of 14 to 17. 

Not a VRS and a different engine series, but my MY16 is a keeper. There, that's probably put a curse on it now 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Over the years me and my ex have has 3 Skoda's - a 2005 Fabia Ambiente 1.2 hatch, a 2015 Octavia 1.4TSI Elegance  estate and an Octavia 1.8TSI L&K hatch.

Only 1 expensive repair on them when the right rear wheel bearing failed on the 1.4TSI which caused a loss of ABS and related functions and cost c.£500 to replace at a dealer.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

Hey guys I'm going to give my opinion so far on the different cars, this means buggar all but it'll help me remember when I look back.

Yesterday I Drove a 2017, 22k. 230ps dsg octy with DCC, heated seats and cruise. £19500.

Overall liked it but I think overpriced maybe. I preferred the drive of the 245 2019 (standard) (£15800) I think because it was manual, but that gear box was abit rough in 4th with 60k miles and only part service history ( felt unloved). Nasty colour.

The dsg It's so easy to drive which I loved, But I hate the lag? It was revving really high and it felt abit slow to shift, this improved in sport.

Feels abit strange the modes but I guess that's the future? I was trying all the different modes I found sport obviously more responsive and most enjoyable, but I noticed the petrol went super fast.

Was interesting, there's not much difference between the interiors 17/19 not much that I can remember distinctly and the fake engine noise I get it but it sounded like a different engine? Grumbly?

It's made me consider that tbh maybe the 245 VAQ isn't as big of a deal? But out of the two I enjoyed the 2019 VAQ model more its just alot more pricey maybe 3/4k for my dream version. This all could be cognitive bias. 

I Didn't try the semi auto as I was a pussy lol. 

Something not right with a VRS with a 7:speed Wet clutch Auto if you think there is lag with it just in D.  This is the issue.  Maybe there is a member near you with a good car that can let you have a drive.      Dealers / traders / car supermarket cars sitting with old 95 Ron E10 in and needing a service / spark plugs can feel Sh|te. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, toot said:

Something not right with a VRS with a 7:speed Wet clutch Auto if you think there is lag with it just in D.  This is the issue.  Maybe there is a member near you with a good car that can let you have a drive.      Dealers / traders / car supermarket cars sitting with old 95 Ron E10 in and needing a service / spark plugs can feel Sh|te. 

Cheers that's good to know, it did it feel very similar to my dad's transporter t6 dsg, it's like it waits to late to shift. Dunno just how I felt anyway. 

Im going to be booking alot more so I'll get a feel for them. Also Going to book some GTi mk7 in aswell. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toot said:

Good to analyse. 

The first, not worth going for if its got gearbox issues. Ive had a few modern manual VAG cars and Ill be honest, the manual gearbox really is nothing to write home about in my opinion. They used to have issues with chocolate slave cylinders which would crack (my old MK6 GTi went at 93k but still had meat on the clutch) but if you prefer manual, aim for it.

The DSG does feel lazy in normal mode and automatic mode. Its something I have noticed recently that when you push the shifter across to manual, the throttle response seems to liven up. Not sure if anyone else finds this? For me its the best of both worlds because If I am driving for fun I would want ultimate control and can have it through the paddles in sport mode. 

Yes, fuel consumption is poorer for short journeys and when driving hard. I drive mine as a daily but shorter journeys with the odd motorway job which, when up to speed and on cruise has achieved 40mpg consistently. Town and shorter use, especially in winter has been 27/28 or an easy 30 in summer. Thats pretty good from a 2L turbo auto.

As for the VAQ, unless you adapt to a car very quickly I doubt you'll feel it on a test drive. As for power, yes the 245 will feel more potent, especially if you didnt come out of auto on the DSG. But again, if you are looking at stage 1 maps at any point (and you should because they transform the car) then stock power wont matter. Any GPF model may map slightly less but itll be so marginal you wont care. 

Keep hunting and try a good manual. I would offer mine but Im 6 speed DSG and you are leaning towards a manual.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To the Wanderer

2015 103 tsi wagon manual. 234000 kms zero faults still as good as new inside and out

2020 Karoq 1.5 47000 kms zero faults still as new inside and out
Best cars we have had in 55 years car ownership

think you have been very unlucky

regards 

Roger

• Like 2

Morning guys,

Wants to ask you smart people a question.

A salesman was saying I could go for PCP, Then I'll get all the current offers like 2 years warranty, 2 years service and couple of offer bits. And then clear the balance in full.

Is this legit?

Cheers.

Matt.

You can indeed do that.

He can very likely get you that and it is refreshing he is telling you you can do that.

He really must be keen to get a sale.  Probably hoping you will not settle it quick enough.    Plenty threads about on doing that. 

Google.

briskoda pcp settle

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/504672-finance-2nd-year-warranty-want-to-buy-in-cash

Edited by toot
  • Thanks 1

On 05/12/2022 at 14:20, Bogwoppit said:

The mk3 Octavia vRS TSI engines fitted with GPF's are also direct injection only, so if you intend to keep it for a long time then it may need the backs of the valves cleaning due to carbon build up.

The ones without GPF's are direct and indirect injection, so shouldn't need this, or not as often.

But the GPF cars do keep the exhaust tips cleaner  🧐

I wanted to post a rebuttal to this, @Bogwoppit, as I have a 2019 car with direct and indirect injection, and I have been told I have a GPF fitted.

I believe I have evidence for direct & indirect injection (pic related), however when it comes down to it, beyond being told by people on Briskoda that my car has a GPF, I have no evidence that I DO have a GPF.

Does anyone know what the VIN codes are for GPF / No GPF?

Is it a firm rule that direct & indirect injection cars don't have GPFs?

image.thumb.png.e6f89bb2e60cf021eb99e3a991ed8757.png

32 minutes ago, EnterName said:

I wanted to post a rebuttal to this, @Bogwoppit, as I have a 2019 car with direct and indirect injection, and I have been told I have a GPF fitted.

I believe I have evidence for direct & indirect injection (pic related), however when it comes down to it, beyond being told by people on Briskoda that my car has a GPF, I have no evidence that I DO have a GPF.

Does anyone know what the VIN codes are for GPF / No GPF?

Is it a firm rule that direct & indirect injection cars don't have GPFs?

/cdn-cgi/mirage/5f4ef285c808150b3f209d495b21415e83a1029349e39555bc33d19ff4f54894/1280/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_12/image.thumb.png.e6f89bb2e60cf021eb99e3a991ed8757.png

Hmm I was under the impression all 2019 had GPF, would be interesting if there was difference in the mid year change. 

Seems like Skoda playing catch up to regs.

you should be able to see it under the car I believe, towards the engine, has a heat shield around it.

Screenshot_2022-12-18-08-59-56-43_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Edited by Mattyboy91
Wrong info.
  • Thanks 1

Grabbing a list of PR codes for the VIN would be the easiest way to check, if you have PR-7CS listed, then it'll have a GPF.

Timeline for the reg changes from VW:

When did it change?

Passenger vehicles (M type and Category N1 (i)):

- From 1st September 2017, all new model introductions were subject to WLTP type approval and Real Driving Emissions (RDE) testing.
- From 1st September 2018, all new sales received type approval under WLTP.
- From 1st September 2019, all new registrations were be subject to RDE testing.

As the vRS was an existing model, the changes would have applied to cars built after the 1st September 2018. That means it'll be MY19 (Model Year 19) or '68 plate onwards. Some very early '68 plates built before September probably avoided the GPF :)

Had a quick look on eBay at downpipes, Both shown below were listed as Golf MK7 GTI's which has the same (or very similar) 245ps engine as the vRS.

I believe the left is a pre-GPF and the right is with a GPF, it's probably that massive cylinder at the bottom :D

image.thumb.png.946d4ab999a10696a3da84a119b0f27c.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1