TMC not working

There are a couple of threads about this already :)

In short, Trafficmaster have stopped transmitting TMC over FM in the UK. It's unclear if the headunits can take TMC from an alternative source or how that can be achieved...

Yeah I saw those but couldn’t see any here specifically (Superb section), so just wondering is it all VAG cars or could some still be working.

What I can’t tell is if brand new cars are affected too, or wether it’s just MIB2’s and possibly 2.5

Edited by Danoid

It's any car that uses TrafficMaster TMC via FM...

At a guess, that's VAG group cars with RNS, MIB 1/2/2.5 head units based on the reports so far. The MIB3 version might be pulling from online sources but I've not heard reports either way.

In those above threads there are certainly mention of non VAG brands also being effected 👍

Just to confirm that mine stopped working a few weeks ago. Damned annoying for a recent trip to Southampton and back.

I checked each major section of the route for hold-ups using Google maps as we went along.

If TMC doesn't get resolved I will probably abandon the inbuilt SatNAv completely and use Google/Waze permanently.

Though I prefer the inbuilt Columbus graphics, I've been using Waze for years, since much more efficient for traffic handling. ETA is more reliable.

Sometimes I use green mirroring, but not keen of Waze graphics on a big screen.

For long trip, I use Waze on my smartphone and inbuilt satnav to see camera locations (coupled with sound alert) in parallel.

• Like 1

It’s a shame this hasn’t happened in America as there would be a lawsuit by now.

It is annoying though because nowhere does it say the traffic reports would stop after a certain date, so it’ll be interesting how VAG UK will handle this

• Like 1

So TMC isn't working again. It stopped working this time last year only to start working again a few weeks later.

I use it every day on the way to work to decide which motorway junction to get off and dependant on traffic can save 10 minutes by coming off early and using the A roads.

I find TMC accurate in around 95% of journeys. Google maps is 100% accurate but I often forget to plug my phone in and when I do remember, I then forget to unplug it when I get to work. 

Wishful thinking that TMC may start working again so it may be time for me to invest in an android auto wireless module.

• 2 weeks later...

After having the same problem with "Traffic Announcements" and the red line across TMC in the Infotainment on my 2019 Superb 4x4 at the begining of April I checked on this sight for answers (as just about everyone else seems to have also. 

I have now had it confirmed by my Skoda Dealer (Simpsons Skoda Colne Lancs) that the problem lies with the SERVICE PROVIDER having "gone down".

This is affecting all the VW house range and unfortunately, no info for a fix. 

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to life in Portugal no tmc for us ever.As i know that in the uk tcm has been down maybe there will be more efforts to enable traffic information on the mib units from other way.

What if instead of the tcm we could some how import google traffic info to the mib unit

https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/examples/layer-traffic

In the github of chillout / jilleb the developer of mib toolbox someone responded that the layer is not possible without vw connet, but i was wondering if it is not possible to make a bridge between internet to tcm so the traffic  is displayed.

Same thing here as well, I was going to ask here if there was something I was supposed to be doing to make it work in this car. It has always worked flawlessly in my previous cars.

1 hour ago, Graham Butcher said:

Same thing here as well, I was going to ask here if there was something I was supposed to be doing to make it work in this car. It has always worked flawlessly in my previous cars.

Nothing us pesky owners can do, how dare we want working TMC 😞

• Like 1

On 15/05/2023 at 13:58, HHog1 said:

After having the same problem with "Traffic Announcements" and the red line across TMC in the Infotainment on my 2019 Superb 4x4 at the begining of April I checked on this sight for answers (as just about everyone else seems to have also. 

I have now had it confirmed by my Skoda Dealer (Simpsons Skoda Colne Lancs) that the problem lies with the SERVICE PROVIDER having "gone down".

This is affecting all the VW house range and unfortunately, no info for a fix. 

I seem to recall from one of my Mk1 Superb's that the information was provided by Classic FM? If I recall correctly, when you first took delivery of a new car, you had tell the system which station was broadcasting the service?

617C6F34-23B3-4F91-AB8B-3243AEC686E8.png

On 11/06/2019 at 20:32, unclerichy said:

3 years in and I've never tried it. I can imagine myself jabbing buttons whilst the knackered Micra to my left just meanders off.

Perhaps I can combine it with the automatic parking function (also never used) for some really fast parking.

Just now, David55 said:

617C6F34-23B3-4F91-AB8B-3243AEC686E8.png

Is response on Honest John

There's a post about this over in an Audi TT forum: https://www.ttforum.co.uk/threads/fixed-rds-tmc-no-longer-working-in-uk.2032197/#post-9622024

In summary, Trafficmaster supplied TMC, but they have stopped providing the service.  It affects VW group and many other car manufacturers.

However, if you have VCDS, there's a fix that work on the TTs. It enables the alternative VW Audi service instead.

I haven't yet tried it on my Superb, but it uses the same maps and software so I expect it will work:

image.png.21d3ee22e10e4edb8fe74e93c0062864.png

As ever, pcbbc has found this.  Top man!

• Like 1

I spoke too soon. The Superb VCDS has a very different stored value, 15 rather than 32783 as the default.

I tried 32782, 14 and 16, resetting the MIB in between - none of them worked, so I've given up for now.

image.png.c0d314f63869e2a4ebd93d90acb82347.png

I did check that Android Auto will display Google Maps on the head unit if necessary.

I also spotted after my post that this topic is being followed on another Briskoda thread.  It's probably best to watch that one:

13 hours ago, Rizmod said:

Thanks @Rizmod

I'll try and find someone local with VCDS etc to assist