Superb Mk4

I don't like the way it appears middle dial controls fan speed, volume, driving modes, and others.

Does that mean got to keep pressing it, take eyes of road to find what mode it is in, then turn it.

I hate the idea of a volume knob that doubles up as other things, passenger wants to talk so accidentally turns down fan then shouts instead, how can anyone think this is good idea

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JR RS said:

I like the all new Smart Dials being introduced for the first time.

FB_IMG_1693344134718.thumb.jpg.6b8a1d3eabf99dff3e8f4d5fd2027bb4.jpg

6 functions for one (central) dial is a joke. Rather than keep your eyes on the road, you will keep pressing and checking if you got the right function. Start/stop gone, windscreen heating gone, and what has happened to VC?

Edited by lmb
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, JR RS said:

I like the all new Smart Dials being introduced for the first time.

FB_IMG_1693344134718.thumb.jpg.6b8a1d3eabf99dff3e8f4d5fd2027bb4.jpg

The issue as I see it with these "smart anythings", is that drivers can easily get distracted from driving, due to having to faff around trying to select the correct function to change the zoom on the map/change it back to lower the volume etc. which could lead to the vehicle drifting lanes, rear-ending someone.

The designers think they're being smart by introducing MFD like these dials when, in fact, they're being dim; anything that distracts the driver for more than a second or so to make an adjustment is "simply stupid".  

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

51 minutes ago, lmb said:

6 functions for one (central) dial is a joke. Rather than keep your eyes on the road, you will keep pressing and checking if you got the right function. Start/stop gone, windscreen heating gone, and what has happened to VC?

Agreed. Absolute disaster IMO. Imagine kids in the passenger seat having a field day turning it and changing 6 different settings. 

• Like 1

I do not need spectacles for distance / driving, but i do need reading glasses to read the tiny stuff on a dashboard or to the left hand of the car in a right hand drive cars, or even on many cars touch screens.

So no bi or vari focals just the reading specs on the top of my head and needing dropped down when needed to scope out tiny symbols.

Large Font option is not beyond the wit of man or car engineers / designers. Or just a bit bigger lettering or symbols.

They will learn when they get older probably and drive some of the stuff they designed and produced.

I struggle enough with remembering how many times to roll the control knob for the mk3 MFD without looking at the Speedo. But at least then it's just the Speedo. 

The centre console is muscle memory or I can at least feel I'm not on the right button. 

Having to swipe a small MFD without looking and maintaining accuracy is going to be awful, especially given that sometimes a swipe may not work as expected. 

Absolutely stupid, clean for clean sake is foolish and, ultimately, dangerous. 

And that bloody screen is daft too. 

Build it in, why do you need a TV for maps ffs. 

Edit as if just noticed a "unique selling point" of "quick access to many functions".

What is quicker than a button for that damn thing that you know where it is with a click to know it's been engaged. 

FFS. 

Another edit:  is that a split opening arm rest?

Why?

The second worst bit about my mates A-class, close to the TV screen on the dash. 

Edited by Calskil
Added more.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, numskull said:

The issue as I see it with these "smart anythings", is that drivers can easily get distracted from driving, due to having to faff around trying to select the correct function to change the zoom on the map/change it back to lower the volume etc. which could lead to the vehicle drifting lanes, rear-ending someone.

The designers think they're being smart by introducing MFD like these dials when, in fact, they're being dim; anything that distracts the driver for more than a second or so to make an adjustment is "simply stupid".  

Don't forget that Lane Assist + Front assist + ACC keep you safe so that you can look at those knobs for few seconds without big danger 😇...

Of course, I'm kidding... I agree with you... ;) 

On 30/08/2023 at 07:30, SurreyJohn said:

I don't like the way it appears middle dial controls fan speed, volume, driving modes, and others.

Does that mean got to keep pressing it, take eyes of road to find what mode it is in, then turn it.

I hate the idea of a volume knob that doubles up as other things, passenger wants to talk so accidentally turns down fan then shouts instead, how can anyone think this is good idea

I immediately thought they looked great - until Ive read the above comment. Recon you will have to see how they work in real life- cant be worse than the sliders in my Tiguan anyway. 

1 hour ago, Gabrielem said:

I don't see the point of that big screen.

I bet that one with the same engine and equipment as mine will cost more than 60,000 euros...

I like it.

I like it too - I love the bigger boot and dont mind it a small bit narrower, and the styling looks fine. Negatives include double arm rest unlikely to have same movement as current one and the tablet looks way to large. I see they are going with fake leather - sorry but that not as good as animal skin. Hopefully its built a bit better than the MKIII I had which wasnt a patch on either MKII's I had previously with lots of rattles and squeaks that the dealer never fully resolved. 

The big issue I see coming is price- I'm in Ireland and bought a Sportline 2.0 TDI 150 bhp manual in 2018 for €35k rrp - roll forward to 2023 and the same car is €50k rrp - with much less chance of getting the 8% discount I got in 2018. 

I think the 190bhp four wheel drive will suit me but I fear it will be a €70k car spec'd up. As the 2.0 engines dont seem to  MHEV's the CO2 will likely be high which will attract massive taxes here. Surprised they can meet Euro 7 without hybrid technology

Are those vertical slats across the entire width passenger side of the dash some kind of giant concealed vent? Ridiculous likkle knobs at the ends look an afterthought. In any case any thing plastic thats not flat is a dust magnet and a nightmare to keep and look clean.

I see they borrowed my £99 P.O.S. Galaxy Tab A and stuck it in the middle of the dash.

There was some talk of manufacturers dropping Android Auto/Apple play as it highlights anything that car manufacturers put on the infotainment as generally shyte, like most navigation systems. Plus they'll be able to make everything subscription and make those overpaid executives happy.

Gearlever relocated to the steering column .. Woohoo! Back to the sixties!!

Full width benchseat an option?

Edited by xman

4 hours ago, casati said:

The big issue I see coming is price- I'm in Ireland and bought a Sportline 2.0 TDI 150 bhp manual in 2018 for €35k rrp - roll forward to 2023 and the same car is €50k rrp - with much less chance of getting the 8% discount I got in 2018. 

I think the 190bhp four wheel drive will suit me but I fear it will be a €70k car spec'd up

I've specced just for fun a TDI200 DSG7 4x4 L&K Mk3 few months ago. It was already €64k in France... I fear it may be even more expensive than € 70k... 😞 

I think 'smart buttons' will be mainly a question of getting used to this change.

I remmener my first drives with my Mk3 coming straight from a Superb Mk2. At the beginning, I was 'lost' with the 'Columbus', because it was such a jump from one generation to the other compared to RNS510. So many functions ands settings... Thus, it was much safer to do it when car was parked or stopped at a traffic light, because it required too many seconds with eyes off the road to do what I want on the Columbus. But after some hundreds of kilometers I got used to it and it's now very quick to me...  

Change doesn't necessarily mean 'worse'. First try and then decide whether it's better or not. ;) 

Edited by Bap33
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, casati said:

I think the 190bhp four wheel drive will suit me but I fear it will be a €70k car spec'd up. As the 2.0 engines dont seem to  MHEV's the CO2 will likely be high which will attract massive taxes here. Surprised they can meet Euro 7 without hybrid technology

It's relatively easy to meet euro7 in theory, just requires lots of emissions equipment.  The big question is how much does that equipment add to cost, and how reliable will it be.

Already can't get diesels in Fabia, Scala, Kamiq, and of course electric Enyaq.

Not sure what percentage of cars are diesel in Ireland, but UK year to date (Jan-July) is just 3.9% for diesel, less than quarter of sales of electric cars (16.1%) and under tenth of petrol (41.7%).   Remainder are hybrids.  So diesel at under 1 in 25 cars is rather a niche product in UK

https://www.smmt.co.uk/vehicle-data/car-registrations/

VW has just present the MK4 twin sister Passat Mk9:

Sorry that's in German. However, here is what I've caught and may be also in the Superb Mk4.

They confirm Passat 9 and Superb 4 will be both built in Bratislava. The sides and especially both front and rear doors are the same on both cars.

Note: The Passat will only exist in Estate version. It's Cx value is 0.25 whereas it was 0.3 on Passat Mk8

The total length is 4.92m / width is 1.85. Boot volume is 690l and jumps to 1900l when back seats are folded (they compare it to Mercedes E-Class in Estate version which offers 1830l)

The back seats still offer much room for rear passenger legs. The guy is 6'5" tall to give you an idea.

Passat has a 12.9" center screen, which can rise to 15" screen in option. Note: The latter one regroups the functions which Škoda has decided to put in the 3 knobs. I don't know whether this is still tue with the 12.9" screen...

Passat also has the gear lever moved to the driving wheel, which implies the wipers functions are now regrouped with the left stalk usually only dedicated to lights and directions. It seems most probable that Superb Mk4 will offer the same architecture...

It will have the same engines as the Superb Mk4 (Hybrid, Gasoline, Diesel, with same power) all fitted with DSG7 (just as Škoda Mk4). The 'iV version should be 100km autonomy in electric mode. The TDI150 should have a 1400km autonomy. 

The DCC is 2.0 with dual valves to enable much finer settings between comfort and 'sport' 

The 'iV' version will be 2200 kg 😱

Regarding prices, the guys reports that he specced the current Passat Mk8 in basic version for € 38k on VW configurator, whereas VW announces the Mk9 will be € 39k in its basic version and will be however quite well equipped.

I hope the Superb Mk4 won't have any higher price increase... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bap33 said:

Note: The Passat will only exist in Estate version. Its Cx value is 0.25 whereas it was 0.3 on Passat Mk8

The  total length is 4.92m / width is 1.85. 

That is unhelpful size, as in UK standard parking space is

5m x 2.5m in car parks,

6m x 2m for a marked parallel parking space

So fat can only open doors about a foot in a supermarket or multi-story, and have to park to within 8cm (under 3 inches) of a wall to fit it in.    

At a parallel parking space going to struggle too, and as a bonus it has easy to kerb low profile wheels.

On 01/09/2023 at 07:53, Bap33 said:

Sorry that's in German. However, here is what I've caught and may be also in the Superb Mk4.

They confirm Passat 9 and Superb 4 will be both built in Bratislava. The sides and especially both front and rear doors are the same on both cars.

Note: The Passat will only exist in Estate version. It's Cx value is 0.25 whereas it was 0.3 on Passat Mk8

The total length is 4.92m / width is 1.85. Boot volume is 690l and jumps to 1900l when back seats are folded (they compare it to Mercedes E-Class in Estate version which offers 1830l)

The back seats still offer much room for rear passenger legs. The guy is 6'5" tall to give you an idea.

Passat has a 12.9" center screen, which can rise to 15" screen in option. Note: The latter one regroups the functions which Škoda has decided to put in the 3 knobs. I don't know whether this is still tue with the 12.9" screen...

Passat also has the gear lever moved to the driving wheel, which implies the wipers functions are now regrouped with the left stalk usually only dedicated to lights and directions. It seems most probable that Superb Mk4 will offer the same architecture...

It will have the same engines as the Superb Mk4 (Hybrid, Gasoline, Diesel, with same power) all fitted with DSG7 (just as Škoda Mk4). The 'iV version should be 100km autonomy in electric mode. The TDI150 should have a 1400km autonomy. 

The DCC is 2.0 with dual valves to enable much finer settings between comfort and 'sport' 

The 'iV' version will be 2200 kg 😱

Regarding prices, the guys reports that he specced the current Passat Mk8 in basic version for € 38k on VW configurator, whereas VW announces the Mk9 will be € 39k in its basic version and will be however quite well equipped.

I hope the Superb Mk4 won't have any higher price increase... 

That front end is horrendous. And what’s with those alloys. Hideous.