Superb Mk4

Aero wheels seem all the rage these days, led by the electric revolution.

There's already several models from Skoda available.

https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/30_new_skoda_kodiaq/

I'm sure they'll be other options ;) although I agree the Passat isn't the most attractive especially sporting the Rline badge.

On 30/08/2023 at 12:17, lmb said:

6 functions for one (central) dial is a joke. Rather than keep your eyes on the road, you will keep pressing and checking if you got the right function. Start/stop gone, windscreen heating gone, and what has happened to VC?

I guess the idea is that each driver can set the default function they use the most.

On my car today, start/stop, fan speed, screen heating, map zoom would all be redundant as everything is set to auto.

Probably the only button is want is the "max" blower setting for demisting.

But every user will want different things & removing one button access to driving functions is a always a strange decision for me. Early Tesla windscreen wipers were the perfect example of this.

Having worked in the industry, I understand the desire to remove buttons because every dollar you can remove saves millions a year.

However, I can't see that this smart display would actually be cheaper than 10 buttons and a roller dial.

Personally, I would rather save 5$ on some sound deadening, materials in the rear, boot etc than lose a couple of buttons up front.

However, im interested to see how the interface with the smart dials will work, as if is done well it might not but so terrible to use.

1 hour ago, Gabbo said:

However, im interested to see how the interface with the smart dials will work, as if is done well it might not but so terrible to use.

This video shows u how the Smart Dials work.

It's not detailed, but it gives u a pretty good idea.

https://youtu.be/JPWYXyvB29Y?si=T4zRUCjk7WWTJemu

• Like 1

image.png.c35db6e147d879086af4ea9bd5b90b9a.png

Those icons on the top left (apart from the first car one) look like they'd be configurable. The return of physical dials and user configration vs the Octavia is well welcomed - things could have been far worse (look at VW).

• Love it! 1

Didn't like split opening armrest.  Height adjustment is gone!!  Why???

Didn't like new gear stick and too crowded left stick because of the wiper controls which are gone to left stick. 

Didn't like volume knob is a part of climate controls...

Don't like the ugly 2 spoke steering wheel and they kept it.  Even fabia monte carlo has better steering wheel.

Instrument cluster LCD not being fully covered by the dashboard shader is a bad design.. what's the point? 

Central vents are positioned too low.  Cold air will go directly below without adequately cooling the headroom.

• Groan 1

Having driven cars and buses with those so-called smart screens, trying to find anything simply and safely is almost impossible; we have the latest Gen Transit buses at work they are a nightmare, having to combine commands from the steering wheel controls and the screen itself to make adjustments. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/08/2023 at 21:05, SurreyJohn said:

It's relatively easy to meet euro7 in theory, just requires lots of emissions equipment.  The big question is how much does that equipment add to cost, and how reliable will it be.

Already can't get diesels in Fabia, Scala, Kamiq, and of course electric Enyaq.

Not sure what percentage of cars are diesel in Ireland, but UK year to date (Jan-July) is just 3.9% for diesel, less than quarter of sales of electric cars (16.1%) and under tenth of petrol (41.7%).   Remainder are hybrids.  So diesel at under 1 in 25 cars is rather a niche product in UK

I tihnk

https://www.smmt.co.uk/vehicle-data/car-registrations/

Diesel sales in Ireland are dropping massively - think they are around 20% now versus 70% a few years ago- ultimately customers I think tend to buy whatever the dealer is pushing but diesel works for a lot of Irish drivers as its still cheaper per mile to fuel and most of the flee (i.e. new and old combined) are diesel powered.

My guess is that diesel sales will rebound a bit in the UK with 2030 now being 2035 but really its down to what you local dealer is pushing imo

• Like 1

Skoda UK has now got pictures of new Superb 4, 

also engines (all DSG) and dimensions from link

https://www.skoda.co.uk/new-cars/teaser/all-new-superb

Petrol 
1.5 TSI (mHEV) 7-speed DSG 150PS
2.0 TSI 7-speed DSG 204PS
2.0 TSI 7-speed DSG 4×4 265PS
Diesel 
2.0 TDI 7-speed DSG 150PS
2.0 TDI 7-speed DSG 4×4 193PS
Plug-in hybrid 
1.5 TSI iV* 6-speed DSG 150** kW 204PS

* Estate version only 
** Combined maximum power output (combustion engine and electric motor) 

Dimensions*

Length: 4,912 mm; 4,912 mm**
Width: 1,849 mm
Height: 1,481 mm; 1,482 mm**
Wheelbase: 2,841 mm
Headroom in front seats: 1,049 mm
Headroom in rear seats: 986 mm; 1,008 mm**
Luggage capacity: 645 l; 690 l**

* Preliminary data.
** Applies to the Estate version.

Edited by SurreyJohn

14 hours ago, Danoid said:

Is it bad that I want the camo livery? 😀

I really like this look too!

DigiCamo could be a nice dealer accessory option.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

1 hour ago, numskull said:

Why less power, one wonders? 

I guess it's to meet the new emissions standards with minimal changes to the existing engine...

Maybe readying a 300PS vRS for later in the line-up? (Rofl)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/business-software/skoda-stops-including-sat-nav-shift-downloadable-features

It's sad to see Skoda going down this route but I guess it's inevitable for all manufacturers in the not too distant future.

Glad I got my mk3 ordered

6 minutes ago, Gabbo said:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/business-software/skoda-stops-including-sat-nav-shift-downloadable-features

It's sad to see Skoda going down this route but I guess it's inevitable for all manufacturers in the not too distant future.

Glad I got my mk3 ordered

Would be great if the Google maps displayed on the digidash but we all know that won't happen. But I don't use the Skoda maps anyway so no great loss as long as apple play and AA still work. 

On one hand, I feel fed up with this new marketing trend to sell us things more and more expensive. Without saying the basis prices have already significantly increased.

On the other hand, If I really count how many times I've used my Columbus GPS, this 'On demand' options system would have been more interesting for me. (Anyway Columbus was standard spec on my L&K 😄...).

It finally depends on how often you need this 'on demand' options and how long you envision to keep the car to assess the ROI.

I assume hope there will still be a way to buy definitely any option.  

24 minutes ago, Bap33 said:

I assume hope there will still be a way to buy definitely any option.  

If they offered this (where it doesn't transfer between owners) this would be interesting for those who want to keep a car a long time & a good money maker for Skoda from the second hand market where users might get a cheap car but would then have to buy Nav, connected services, functions (heated seats as BMW, or maybe ACC, lane assist etc)....

If not for the current nervousness of the Chinese brands entering the market, I'm sure the European manufacturers would all have banded together to go down the annual subscription route already.

It's an especially important new revenue stream for them as new EV cars will theoretically cost much less in maintenance than ICE models & today they make nothing out of 2nd/3rd/4th sales.

15 hours ago, Calskil said:

Would be great if the Google maps displayed on the digidash but we all know that won't happen. But I don't use the Skoda maps anyway so no great loss as long as apple play and AA still work. 

Volvo and Polestars now support Apple Maps which is great. I know a lot of people prefer Google Maps or Waze routing but I think Apple Maps looks 10x better than the rest when not navigating.

Polestar 2 now supports Apple Maps navigation in the instrument cluster  with version P2.9 : r/CarPlay

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/09/2023 at 18:39, SurreyJohn said:

Skoda UK has now got pictures of new Superb 4, 

also engines (all DSG) and dimensions from link

https://www.skoda.co.uk/new-cars/teaser/all-new-superb

Petrol 
1.5 TSI (mHEV) 7-speed DSG 150PS
2.0 TSI 7-speed DSG 204PS
2.0 TSI 7-speed DSG 4×4 265PS
Diesel 
2.0 TDI 7-speed DSG 150PS
2.0 TDI 7-speed DSG 4×4 193PS
Plug-in hybrid 
1.5 TSI iV* 6-speed DSG 150** kW 204PS

* Estate version only 
** Combined maximum power output (combustion engine and electric motor) 

Dimensions*

Length: 4,912 mm; 4,912 mm**
Width: 1,849 mm
Height: 1,481 mm; 1,482 mm**
Wheelbase: 2,841 mm
Headroom in front seats: 1,049 mm
Headroom in rear seats: 986 mm; 1,008 mm**
Luggage capacity: 645 l; 690 l**

* Preliminary data.
** Applies to the Estate version.

Wait so the hybrid is down on power?? From 160 kw with the 1.4 tsi to 150 kw on the 1.5 tsi? surely not right? 

3 hours ago, Agustnr said:

Wait so the hybrid is down on power?? From 160 kw with the 1.4 tsi to 150 kw on the 1.5 tsi? surely not right? 

Probably the new powertrain from the Passat that increased electric only range to 62 miles

On 10/10/2023 at 21:06, Gabbo said:

It's an especially important new revenue stream for them as new EV cars will theoretically cost much less in maintenance than ICE models & today they make nothing out of 2nd/3rd/4th sales.

TBH, service costs are already not that dissimilar to ICE vehicles and you can absolutely guarantee they’ll increase. Obviously there are far less wet consumables with an electric vehicle, but items such as brakes pads/discs, suspension parts costs (which will have higher wear rates due to the weight of batteries) will be ramped-up. I’m sure they’ll also start bringing in more expensive service items, such as (pointless) battery “conditioning”, which will be mandatory to protect revenue. 

• Like 2

On 10/10/2023 at 21:06, Gabbo said:

We already know Skoda are moving to agency model with their electric vehicles (already converted Spain and Germany), rather than dealers buying stock (not that many dealers ever seem to have stock that you can drive away within hours)

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/skoda-remains-committed-to-switching-to-agency-sales-as-boss-says-model-is-the-name-of-the-game/289199

On 01/10/2023 at 17:22, numskull said:

Why less power, one wonders? 

Probably being built to euro7 standards which comes in 1st July 2025

If they launch November, probably go on sale in Dec-Jan, probably first deliveries about Apr-May, therefore so would need to change specs within months if want to guarantee all cars built are sold by June 2025.  I suspect want at least a year before revising spec so have to be euro7 from start.