Hi all, thanks for accepting me. I have a 2015 Skoda Octavia Mk3 which has the really old school screen in it. 

I’m wanting to upgrade it to something more modern and with wireless Apple CarPlay but upon reading the forums it appears there is loads of different options.

Is anybody able to advise what parts I need? 

Thanks in advance! 

IMG_5087.jpeg

IMG_5088.jpeg

1 hour ago, froggattr said:

with wireless Apple CarPlay

None of the OEM systems for the Octavia 3 have wireless CarPlay, however you can get adapters such a CarPlay2Air that allow wireless CarPlay for MIB2 units.

Noted, thanks. What do I need to get CarPlay at all? 

33 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

None of the OEM systems for the Octavia 3 have wireless CarPlay, however you can get adapters such a CarPlay2Air that allow wireless CarPlay for MIB2 units.

Noted thanks. What is required to upgrade the MIB? 

2 hours ago, froggattr said:

Hi all, thanks for accepting me. I have a 2015 Skoda Octavia Mk3 which has the really old school screen in it. 

I’m wanting to upgrade it to something more modern and with wireless Apple CarPlay but upon reading the forums it appears there is loads of different options.

Thanks in advance! 

IMG_5087.jpeg

IMG_5088.jpeg

2 hours ago, froggattr said:

Thanks in advance! 

IMG_5087.jpeg

IMG_5088.jpeg

Hi Froggattr

I had the exact same unit installed in my Octavia 2015. Just uograded the MIB I (glovebox), Screen and the USB port beloew the  aircon controls. The guy to speak with is pab567. Absolute hero when it comes to knowing whats what regarding skoda ICE.

After speaking with him he suggested what I would need based on what upgrade/s I wanted. He ordered the parts, I paid (you will also need to factor in import tax), then within 5 days recieved all in the post. The install took about 30 mins to swap out the old sysyrem with the new (All plug and play). 

You will also need to take a back up of your infotainment system for Pab to program the replacement for your car.

I would recommend him in a heartbeat

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Yes mib upgrade is the best option. Therefore you won't get wireless android auto or carplay, the units are not meant for it. 

They are dongles for wirelessly but won't recommend theme as they have speech recognition delay and don't quite understand what you say on Android auto. I can't pronounce for Apple carplay.

Stick with the mib upgrade and wired connection. It works Great and charges your phone at the same time.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nickytheshaft said:

They are dongles for wirelessly but won't recommend theme as they have speech recognition delay and don't quite understand what you say on Android auto. I can't pronounce for Apple carplay.

The CPLAY2air dongle I use for Apple CarPlay is great, no issues with speech recognition delay or anything else.

• Like 1

So now you have Amundsen MIB1, with DAB, with USB 5Q0035726B (support for Android Auto, no support for Apple CarPlay) and fortunately you don;t have CANTON sond system.

You can install one of four different glove box units:
- MIB2 Bolero
- MIB2 Amundsen
- MIB2 Columbus
- MIB2.5 Columbus

You also need to replace display unit:
- for MIB2 Bolero you can use either 6.5" model number 5E0919605H or 8" model number 5E0919605N
- for MIB2 Amundsen and MIB2 Columbus you can use listed above display as well as 6.5" model number 5E0919605J, 8" model number 5E0919606, 8" model number 5E0919605M
- for MIB2.5 Columbus the only display unit that works is 5E0919606D

The price range is from 250 GBP (Bolero + 6.5" screen) up to 750 GBP (Columbus MIB2.5 with 9.2" screen). If you would like to have also support fot Apple CarPlay or better phone charging (current up to 1.5A comparing to 0.5A) then USB must be replaced as well (25 GBP).

Shipping not included (approx 20 GBP). Upon arrival you have to pay local import taxes (mostly VAT).

The question is what is your budget and which of listed below features are "must have":
1. Video playback from DVD, USB, SD
2. CD playback
3. OEM navigation
4. displaying OEM maps na Virtual Cluster (Active Info Display).

1 hour ago, pab567 said:

So now you have Amundsen MIB1, with DAB, with USB 5Q0035726B (support for Android Auto, no support for Apple CarPlay) and fortunately you don;t have CANTON sond system.

You can install one of four different glove box units:
- MIB2 Bolero
- MIB2 Amundsen
- MIB2 Columbus
- MIB2.5 Columbus

You also need to replace display unit:
- for MIB2 Bolero you can use either 6.5" model number 5E0919605H or 8" model number 5E0919605N
- for MIB2 Amundsen and MIB2 Columbus you can use listed above display as well as 6.5" model number 5E0919605J, 8" model number 5E0919606, 8" model number 5E0919605M
- for MIB2.5 Columbus the only display unit that works is 5E0919606D

The price range is from 250 GBP (Bolero + 6.5" screen) up to 750 GBP (Columbus MIB2.5 with 9.2" screen). If you would like to have also support fot Apple CarPlay or better phone charging (current up to 1.5A comparing to 0.5A) then USB must be replaced as well (25 GBP).

Shipping not included (approx 20 GBP). Upon arrival you have to pay local import taxes (mostly VAT).

The question is what is your budget and which of listed below features are "must have":
1. Video playback from DVD, USB, SD
2. CD playback
3. OEM navigation
4. displaying OEM maps na Virtual Cluster (Active Info Display).

Hi thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I'm not looking for video playback, CD playback, OEM nav or OEM maps on VC. I am just looking for Apple CarPlay.

How much is the package all in with the:

Columbus MIB2.5 with 9.2" screen 

Columbus/Amundsen MIB 2 with 8" screen 5E0919605M?

Thanks.

hi, Pab567

I need advice on exchanging 5Q0035864C with 5Q0035874C in my Octavia 5E5 2019. I would need a DAB. Where to get the cheapest?

Is it worth switching to Columbus if I'm already changing?

VIN: TMBJS9NE9K0019589

Thank you in advance, Mitcho

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone point me in the right direction for information on fitment of an Amundsen 5Q0035840C unit into an older mk3 Octavia? The plastic plugs are very slightly different. Is shaving down the plastic housing plug the normal thing to do to get it connected?