Help with Columbus system

mjp99

2019 Karoq 1.5 SEL. My Columbus has an SD Card (with the Skoda logo on) in SD1. I am looking to update the maps, but nothing I have done with an update SD card works. When I remove the 'original' SD1 card the system cannot find the database so I have no way of accessing the menu to update.

I do not understand how the system works, and I thought the SD card was only for updates and not for the actual running of the system? Does the system store nothing internally? If someone could give me a 'basic' on how it works and how to update the maps that would be great! I have followed the Skoda update PDF.

It sounds as if you have Amundsen and not Columbus.

Afaik, Amundsen stores its maps on the SD card and not internally. The Amundsen SD card uses the SD protection feature so only a genuine Skoda card will work in it.

Check the system info section of the menus to confirm system information.

You will need to consult the Amundsen sections of Briskoda for help if I am right.

Thanks xman - how do I check? The front panel LOOKS like the Columbus, but that would explain the issue"

Sorry, Stonekeeper, missed your post. The puzzling bit is that the screen/buttons appear to be exactly like the Columbus. Will the version info tell me?

Edited by mjp99

Yes, that image of the Amundsen pretty much clinches it! That is my panel. Off now to find a reasonable price for the SD card!

Thanks both.

I see it says to 'reformat' the SD card and load with the update. I am nervous! Is it likely to damage the (expensive!) Skoda card....?

Stone - my screen has more lines than 5.............

Anyway, hoping the reformat will not destroy my card I am off to download the required updates. I will try not to scream too loudly if it goes up the swannee!  🙂

Many thanks to all here - successfully  updated (no screaming). It would appear all that has been 'lost' is elevation data which shows '0' everywhere, but......................

It is a shame that information as to which system is fitted is not more readily available on the Skoda site (if it is I missed it over 2 days!) and once again briskoda.net to the rescue.