New purchase likes drinking oil…………. Cthe vrs

Right lads apologies for delay in replying been stupidly busy at work and home…….. I’m still waiting on when I can take car to garage for above work ( due to my work commitments) and the wife’s who’s going to follow me across so I’m not sat for hours twiddling my thumbs. 

driving the car today I was in 7th not accelerating as on a gradual decline section of road, then I accelerated not harsh acceleration quite the opposite and a plume of blue smoke came out twice when I repeated the action💨 Does this point to the turbo more that the pistons ? Obviously I’m hoping it’s not the pistons for obvious financial reasons……

23 minutes ago, Whit3Knight said:

💨...Does this point to the turbo more that the pistons ? Obviously I’m hoping it’s not the pistons for obvious financial reasons……

No.

9 minutes ago, Whit3Knight said:

Brilliant your waging on pistons ?

What’s my realistic action plan once oil changed to 5w-40 I’m doubtful it will be the magic cure ?

2 hours ago, Whit3Knight said:

What’s my realistic action plan once oil changed to 5w-40 I’m doubtful it will be the magic cure ?

Of course it won't make any difference, you need to get the compression test done before you do anything else.

26 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

Of course it won't make any difference, you need to get the compression test done before you do anything else.

In theory slightly thicker oil should make some difference ? Some have reported so ?

would you happen to know the compression values ? And I presume I am looking at cylinder 3 plug ? For fouling 

13 minutes ago, Whit3Knight said:

In theory slightly thicker oil should make some difference ? Some have reported so ?

No, not really. You're clutching at straws.
When I switched to  a 60w grade oil in my 1985 passat when it was drinking a litre every 2 or 3 hundred miles, it reduced consumption by maybe only 10% for a short while. The Mil spec oil cost me about 4 times the normal oil. Cost far more in oil than petrol to run.

I accepted my engine was shot and gave the car away for £50.

• Love it! 1

1 hour ago, Whit3Knight said:

would you happen to know the compression values ? And I presume I am looking at cylinder 3 plug ? For fouling 

No difference, placebo at best.

Compression values are for comparison purposes, you're looking for uniformity across all four cylinders.

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of an update as such………. Compression test showed uniformity across all cylinders, I supplied x4 ngk spark plugs, oil was changed along with filter to 5w-40 fully synthetic. I also replaced the air filter (Bosch) it’s early to tell if it’s made a difference as haven’t covered too many miles yet. Mechanic said to drive more enthusiastically as the engines prefer this ? Sorry it’s a bit of a late update, but only just had work carried out time I guess will tell 

On 26/02/2024 at 14:28, thomasaspin said:

A good thing to do would be to get a oil catch can fitted then you can see how much your crankcase is getting pressurised etc and how much your pcv valve is sending oil into the intake manifold 

Good call this something you’ve done yourself ?