Any concerns buying a 2015-2016 Superb?

I'm in the market for a used Skoda Superb Estate. Aiming to spend less than £10k. Most of the examples I've found so far with the spec I want (e.g. leather seats, front&rear sensors) are from 2015 and 2016. I've seen several comments here from folks wary of the first couple years of the MK III and it would be better to get a 2017+. Is this a legitimate concern? Any 2015 and 2016 owners here to weigh in on how their cars are running these days?

As an example of what I'm looking at, this 2015 4x4 L&K 2.0 TDI checks the boxes of what I want. Just concerned about the age.

https://www.gcsthrapston.co.uk/used-skoda-superb-thrapston-northamptonshire-5750767

I'll be doing some runs between Italy and the UK with this car and I want something I can rely on.

HI, that appears to be a MK2 face-lift, so maybe ask in that forum as people should have more knowledge.  Having said that I ran a Elegance in that specification upto 100K miles and the only issue I had was the front window failing as the wires in the door post became trapped and broken, a common issue. It was serviced regularly, tyres and brakes taken care off when necessary, so I did try and look after it :-)

I had a MkII L&K diesel from new in 2012 until it was written off in an accident in 2017.  I can't remember the milage but I think it was about 50,000.  I went all over Europe to places such as Lithuania, Belarus, Hungary, Croatia etc with no problems, apart from the heater.  It happened two or three times when SWMBO's side blew maximum heat for no reason at all.  When this happened, I turned it off for a few minutes and it seemed to reset itself.

I now have a MkIII L&K diesel registered in 2016 that I bought at 8 months old after the MkII was written off.  This one has covered 43,000 miles and has also been on long European trips (except for lockdown).  The only problems I've had were a broken bracket for the radar in the grill and a puncture in Lithuania when I ran over a lump of metal, though you can't blame the car for the latter problem.

Like coppertop, both cars were regularly serviced and maintained, which I'm sure helps to keep them running as the should.

Welcome @laurusbaurus

Look for the Service record showing as the DSG having been serviced twice and the Haldex 3 times and what else there is a record of having been done. 

Pollen Filter, Air Filter, Diesel filter, AC, as well as the Oil Changes, fixed or variable regime. 

Screenshot 2024-03-14 11.44.58.png

922218293_Screenshot2022-09-2115_58_57.jpg.3711dc86397a804fc83f268add4ae736.jpg.ece7ad63bf3be1dd444132de450cade0.jpg.936687ec374d1d3977085ff663c699f3.jpg

1039190636_Screenshot2021-09-29at07_53_36.jpg.994d2b104123865330d493df0f73629e.jpg.ca866166fda377bb57b042f179581276.jpg

1025295341_Screenshot2021-09-29at07_53_17.jpg.f3e4a6dc63cb89105f9b1ac440bb1614.jpg.94c996f27eaa950184808025b777ceb5.jpg

Edited by Rooted

3 hours ago, coppertop said:

HI, that appears to be a MK2 face-lift, so maybe ask in that forum as people should have more knowledge.  Having said that I ran a Elegance in that specification upto 100K miles and the only issue I had was the front window failing as the wires in the door post became trapped and broken, a common issue. It was serviced regularly, tyres and brakes taken care off when necessary, so I did try and look after it :-)

Well spotted. It is indeed an MK II. In some ways, I feel better knowing it was one of the last of that generation. I'll have to some more digging on this generation.

2 hours ago, Penpusher said:

I had a MkII L&K diesel from new in 2012 until it was written off in an accident in 2017.  I can't remember the milage but I think it was about 50,000.  I went all over Europe to places such as Lithuania, Belarus, Hungary, Croatia etc with no problems, apart from the heater.  It happened two or three times when SWMBO's side blew maximum heat for no reason at all.  When this happened, I turned it off for a few minutes and it seemed to reset itself.

I now have a MkIII L&K diesel registered in 2016 that I bought at 8 months old after the MkII was written off.  This one has covered 43,000 miles and has also been on long European trips (except for lockdown).  The only problems I've had were a broken bracket for the radar in the grill and a puncture in Lithuania when I ran over a lump of metal, though you can't blame the car for the latter problem.

Like coppertop, both cars were regularly serviced and maintained, which I'm sure helps to keep them running as the should.

Good to know it handled those long trips well. I've found a 2016 MK III L&K diesel just like yours on AutoTrader as well; albeit many more miles on it. Could be a good option.

2 hours ago, Rooted said:

Welcome @laurusbaurus

Look for the Service record showing as the DSG having been serviced twice and the Haldex 3 times and what else there is a record of having been done. 

Pollen Filter, Air Filter, Diesel filter, AC, as well as the Oil Changes, fixed or variable regime. 

Screenshot 2024-03-14 11.44.58.png

922218293_Screenshot2022-09-2115_58_57.jpg.3711dc86397a804fc83f268add4ae736.jpg.ece7ad63bf3be1dd444132de450cade0.jpg.936687ec374d1d3977085ff663c699f3.jpg

1039190636_Screenshot2021-09-29at07_53_36.jpg.994d2b104123865330d493df0f73629e.jpg.ca866166fda377bb57b042f179581276.jpg

1025295341_Screenshot2021-09-29at07_53_17.jpg.f3e4a6dc63cb89105f9b1ac440bb1614.jpg.94c996f27eaa950184808025b777ceb5.jpg

This is really helpful thank you. I noticed that MOT fail in January over the engine MIL. Not sure what to make of that. Aside from that, the MOT is pretty clean. In any case, I'll probably book a ClickMechanic inspection before pulling the trigger.

• Like 1

I have a March ‘16 280 L&K with 46k and it’s been very reliable. The only issues have been a leaking water pump (an expensive “standard” EA888 engine family issue), a leaking airco condenser and a failed wheel speed sensor. TBH, I don’t think there’s a greater proportion of early vehicle owners complaining any more about reliability than later vehicle owners. 

• Like 1

As above- 2016 L&K 280 estate with 72k, 18 months ownership & 15k - the EA888 engine reliability was one of the reasons why I swung to superb so couldn’t comment on the diesels. I have only had the fore mentioned water pump- but was covered under my 12 month warranty. Personally a pre face lift car was a ‘bonus’- more buttons, ‘stronger gear box. I will be changing/upgrading suspension in next few months but mainly through ride quality preference/ preventative maintenance as I plan to keep the car for a while. 
the mk 2 gets a good write up- but Apple car play is just so handy for me. 
I think good service history is key. 

• Like 1

On 14/03/2024 at 14:04, laurusbaurus said:

MOT fail in January over the engine MIL. Not sure what to make of that

Mine had a failure for inoperative rear fog lights which was odd as they've never been used. Turned out he didn't know how to switch them on.

• Haha 2

I have a Mk111 with DSG registered late 2015.  It has done over 170,000 miles with no real issues.  I replaced one glow plug recently and the (rear I think) shock absorbers were replaced in 2018. I also had the front n/s wheel bearing replaced last year. Of course the cam belt, (inc the water pump) and DSG have been serviced early at every assigned interval and I have carried out all the other services (early of course!). Best car I have ever owned.

Edited by MChris
  • Like 3

I had a 2016 150 diesel manual until a couple of months ago. Traded it in with 150k on the clock. Needed clutch and rear shocks doing. Only failure I'd had was the water pump at 4yrs and 112k. Rest just routine servicing etc. 

• Like 1

Thanks all. Seems like those concerns weren't well founded.

I'm looking at a couple MY2016s right now. Both could have better DSG service history. One is at 100k miles with one DSG service at 36k. The other is at 130k miles with one DSG service at 80k.

I'd push for a fresh DSG service as part of the purchase agreement, but is that too little too late for these? Should I be running away?

If the DSG changes gear perfectly then that is what you want.

Only have the place service it if they know their stuff, otherwise get the cost of that off the purchase and have it done by a place that does. 

Does the 2016 TDI have SCR (AdBlue)? if not then maybe for the better.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Rooted said:

If the DSG changes gear perfectly then that is what you want.

Only have the place service it if they know their stuff, otherwise get the cost of that off the purchase and have it done by a place that does. 

Does the 2016 TDI have SCR (AdBlue)? if not then maybe for the better.

Thanks Rooted. That all makes sense. I'll negotiate that off the price if I pull the trigger on one of these.

I'd be buying from a distance so I'd have to trust the judgment of an AA or ClickMechanic inspector on the gear changes.

I dunno about SCR. I'd have to ask.

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/03/2024 at 09:28, laurusbaurus said:

I'm in the market for a used Skoda Superb Estate. Aiming to spend less than £10k. Most of the examples I've found so far with the spec I want (e.g. leather seats, front&rear sensors) are from 2015 and 2016. I've seen several comments here from folks wary of the first couple years of the MK III and it would be better to get a 2017+. Is this a legitimate concern? Any 2015 and 2016 owners here to weigh in on how their cars are running these days?

As an example of what I'm looking at, this 2015 4x4 L&K 2.0 TDI checks the boxes of what I want. Just concerned about the age.

https://www.gcsthrapston.co.uk/used-skoda-superb-thrapston-northamptonshire-5750767

I'll be doing some runs between Italy and the UK with this car and I want something I can rely on.

HI OP. Just interested. Did you buy the car in the end? Thanks

23 hours ago, GordoGT said:

HI OP. Just interested. Did you buy the car in the end? Thanks

I didn't end up buying the one I posted. I wasn't satisfied with the service history in the end.

I am finalising purchase of a 2016 SE Business though. Black one which isn't my ideal, but it's a high spec model in my budget so I'm well pleased.

• Like 1

On 13/04/2024 at 20:31, laurusbaurus said:

I am finalising purchase of a 2016 SE Business though

If it has a DSG gearbox, ignore the Skoda service schedule which states that neither the transmission or the Mechatronic oils need never to be changed, it most certainly does!!

My transmission & Mech oils were changed for the first time @ 175,000 miles. The transmission oil looked surprisingly good however the mech oil looked like rancid brown sludge rather than bright green which it should be.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up buying that 2016 SE Business. Drove it 1,000 miles all the way from Warwickshire to Italy and it was a very pleasant journey. What a great road trip car.

Unfortunately, I got in the car this morning just to park it somewhere else and was greeted by a "Check coolant" warning. I popped open the bonnet and found this...

image.thumb.jpeg.34093bec2258fe04e41cf4359a31e625.jpeg

I had arranged a pre-purchase inspection with a third party mechanic who noted an insecure coolant pipe. The dealer then sent it to a garage to sort this. They also replaced the cam belt and water pump after securing the coolant pipe. Clearly something has gone awry.

If I were in the UK, I'd send the car back to the dealer or garage to sort it. But now I'm not sure what to do besides find a local Italian garage and convince the dealer or garage in the UK to pay the euros for the work. Can't imagine that will be simple to convince them to do now that I'm in a foreign country and won't be back in the UK for about a month.

Is there anything I can try to do myself to solve this? Seems a nasty leak and I'm not experienced with this kind of thing.

If there is no sign of leakage from your recent trip to Italy, it may be the case that when the belt & pump were replaced the coolant system wasn't refilled correctly. It requires the use of a VCDS or similar to ensure all the air is allowed to be purged from the system.

When I had my belt & pump done for the first time the garage didn't do it properly and I had the low coolant messages pop up periodically for about 2 weeks after. I topped up the reservoir each time and after a couple of weeks it stabilised.

41 minutes ago, laurusbaurus said:

2016 SE Business.

Good choice....maybe.😃

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gammyleg said:

If there is no sign of leakage from your recent trip to Italy, it may be the case that when the belt & pump were replaced the coolant system wasn't refilled correctly. It requires the use of a VCDS or similar to ensure all the air is allowed to be purged from the system.

When I had my belt & pump done for the first time the garage didn't do it properly and I had the low coolant messages pop up periodically for about 2 weeks after. I topped up the reservoir each time and after a couple of weeks it stabilised.

I'll pray it's just an issue of not being refilled correctly. The light blue streaks under the coolant bottle look suspicious don't you think? I didn't check that area before my trip so no idea how long that has been there.

I guess I'll re-fill it and then check for signs of leakage.

5 minutes ago, Gammyleg said:

Good choice....maybe.😃

Hah yes, we'll see. I was feeling so great about the car until this.

• Like 1