Does this tyre need changing straight away please?

Dandesc

Hi, I am a bit confused about this tyre and whether it needs changing asap. 

Someone else said it's fine for a bit longer but I think it's borderline as it down to the marker pretty much.

Can I have some other opinions please?

PXL_20240405_113841057.jpg

Is it at the wear markers across the entire face of the tyre?

Either way, how much value do you place on your or other's lives?

36 minutes ago, Dandesc said:

I am a bit confused about this tyre and whether it needs changing asap.

You haven't said what size (particularly width) it is, but I'd reckon aquaplaning to be a real possibility.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Paws4Thot said:

You haven't said what size (particularly width) it is, but I'd reckon aquaplaning to be a real possibility.

It's 205/60 -16. There has been a lot of rain but I can only remember aquaplaning slightly once. 

24 minutes ago, petrolcan said:

Is it at the wear markers across the entire face of the tyre?

Either way, how much value do you place on your or other's lives?

It's not at the markers in the middle. Of course I care about safety more than anything. I just wondered if it was really urgent. I read somewhere that it is bad to change your tyres early. So yeah I just wanted other peoples opinions and hopefully it helps someone else.

1 minute ago, Dandesc said:

I read somewhere that it is bad to change your tyres early. 

I think my head just exploded! 🤯

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, petrolcan said:

I think my head just exploded! 🤯

That's just what I read, not my personal opinion.

Screenshot_20240405-134948.png

Edited by Dandesc

If you can remember aquaplaning slighly once i would get it changed sooner rather than later ,2nd time might be worse for you or someone else ,better safe than sorry 😁

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dandesc said:

I can only remember aquaplaning slightly once.

Just to clarify for your (and others') safety's sake, aquaplaning means your tyre/s have lost contact with the road surface and are skating on water. 

This means:

1) You have lost braking

2) You have lost steering

3) You have lost control of your 1 tonne plus armchair as it  travels at whatever speed in only one direction, regardless of whatever the roadway or your desires wish for.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dandesc said:

It's 205/60 -16

Which is why I asked; I've had aquaplaning at 3mm left on 205/55R16s. That makes that tyre borderline at best.

if its only worn to the blocks on the outside(which is how it looks to me) you need to get the tracking checked.

what you posted from Michelin doesnt really apply as you are at the blocks on part of the tyre. they are talking about changing tyres when they are only worn to like 4mm. 

i doubt you meant full "slight" aquaplaning, and more meant you have momentarily lost FULL traction?

what are the other tyres looking like? is it only one corner?

• Like 2

That Michelin statement reads more like them trying to be eco more than from a safety angle IMO.

But as for your tyre - yes, change it sooner rather than later and request a wheel alignment assesment and calibration (preferably a Hunter or similar four wheel alignment)

2 hours ago, Dandesc said:

. I read somewhere that it is bad to change your tyres early.

that sounds like a Merkin speaking based on the condition of the tyres of many older vehicles I see on YT.

The again , the general condition of many of the vehicles they use on the roads is generally shockng!!

• Like 1

@Dandesc you did ask for opinions. 😃

21 hours ago, Dandesc said:

Someone else said it's fine for a bit longer but I think it's borderline as it down to the marker pretty much.

Which marker is it down to, the rain or TWI (Tread Wear Indicator)?

Making any judgements from an imagine on a device is difficult and full of pitfalls I think. 

If your tyre is only worn on the outside markers you might ask why that is, is that common for your model and year or a fault of car or tyre, is the front tyre on the other side the same.

You don't need tread for dry warmer road surfaces but if you drive in England you know even when this is the case it could soon change so then you might need tread to push the water away to get the 'rubber' to contact the road surface.  For the aquaplaning you were going too fast for the circumstances, doesn't matter what number or where the needle was on the speedo but we all make mistakes and I'm certainly not a good driver.  If the aquaplaning really wasn't your fault (really?) then you will want to change that tyre ASAP or find out what else was at fault.

IIRC elsewhere 3mm is considered the minimum, and perhaps here if you have a sportscars, that measurement will upset many. 😆

And though many think tyres start at 8mm, or 7mm, some start at less. 

Best thing to do is measure the tread depth across the whole tyre with a gauge or whatever, avoid any unseen raised bits inside the tread that might give false readings, look at the tyre generally, all the thread and sidewall(s) and decide how worn it looks (to really check the whole tyre you really need the car in the air or wheel off the car).

The following video has labelled sections and shows things like how to measure tread depth using a 20p coin and gauge and also other information. -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB1D7iJOgE0

I think it depends on where and how you drive as to when, what depth, you should change your tyre (subject to the rest of the tyre being in good or reasonable condition).

HTH.  You may, or may not, want to report back with your measurements, findings, decision or resolve.  Good luck.

• Like 2

On 05/04/2024 at 12:44, Dandesc said:

Hi, I am a bit confused about this tyre and whether it needs changing asap. 

Can I have some other opinions please?

PXL_20240405_113841057.jpg

My tuppence worth is if anyone is at the stage they need to ask if a tyre needs changin die to tread depth, then it does.

Here in the UK, the legal min. is 1.6mm. That's not to say a 1.6mm tyre will perform the same as a 3mm tyre, it just says the min is 1.6mm.

Personallly I'd never let my tyres down to that depth. Surely the only arguement for keeping them is based on cost?

Edited by kodiaqsportline
  • Like 1

You can clearly see the first and second TWI's and the remaining tread is significantly above them, probably about 3mm.

I finally removed my tyres which I have done 55K miles on and which were already part worn, seems crazy to put on winter tyres now having not needed them but its only till I source and fit some new ones.

1 was still probably legal, the others were below 1.6mm on the centre treads (run high when towing) and one rear had got quite low on the inside, the tread depths varied between 0.4 and 2.2mm.

A couple of weeks back I drove in the wettest conditions I have ever driven in 48 years of motoring, one some very deep standing water on the autoroute I had minor aquaplaning on one wheel, no loss of steering or stability but I could feel it, keeping the speed blow 110 km/h avoided it, at 120kph it was fairly white knuckle 130kph it was reckless.

You can have tyres worn to the legal limit and drive safely without aquaplaning unless you are driving too fast for the conditions, someone with new scrubbed in tyres can travel a moderate amount faster safely but a little more and they too are in the reckless zone but with a lot more momentum.