Automatic boot - Completed

Couple of questions regarding estate boots then:

1. What length red are people actually plumping for? Cromwell specify a 32, 38, 44 AND 51mm as available in their brochure and I wondered if the problem of longevity was cured with the slightly shorter spring as it doesn't compress so much when closed?

2. Following on from the above, do you HAVE to have the 51mm springs to make sure you have enough oomph to lift the boot, or is it the strength/colour of the spring that's giving it the power?

3. Has anyone tried the yellow/gold springs and if so how are they getting along with them?

Okay, so i've managed to source a local comapany that makes them with only an ever so slightly larger internal bore/rod hole size... and their red/heavy equivalent is powder coated in BLACK so will disappear with the rest of the strut! :thumbup:

Buuuuuut, i'm still waiting to hear from any of you lot as to what size is better to stick in my pre-fl estate, 44mm or 51mm...

SO C'MON THEN??!! :rofl:

Okay, thanks to the guys where I got the springs from, they let me test both sets and see which worked best. So here you go!

(don't know how to fully imbed)

Edited by blackspaven

How much were the springs and where can I order the black ones you have from? Also can anyone else also let us know how long you have had your springs for?

I'm waiting a little while before giving the info cos there's no point if they fail after only a little use: they've only been on abotu 18 hours.

They cost me £5 cos I went to the place in person, but normally they have a £25 minimum order cos they have to do paperwork and stuff. They did say if they worked, they'd probably be happy for people to order them from them, but to make it worth it for them for a single pair of springs, it'd more than likely end up being a tenner plus postage, which makes them pricier than getting them from Cromwell or Bearingboys.

They are coated in black plastic as opposed to loud, loud red though!!

The 44's I tried worked about 90% of the time, although they did compress less (obviously), which was a shame cos i'm not sure if they'd last longer because of that or not. If these do fail, i'm gonna try their 16x44 extra heavy duty, but they're orange. Still, it's not a bad colour as a lot of ancillary things in my engine are orange so might not look too out of place.

Fingers crossed!

Even mine do not work these days. it´s cold out and the shocks do not give the assistence needed cause the gas is cold.

If you leave the car out on a shinny day it will open ( on mine will)

Must be the struts are weakened with age, the red springs i installed back in May last year are still going strong, never failed to open yet. Blue's would have gone by now based on the last time.

Must be the struts are weakened with age, the red springs i installed back in May last year are still going strong, never failed to open yet. Blue's would have gone by now based on the last time.

Yeah, quite possible. Mine failed for the first time tonight (pretty cold outside though), but they looked a bit slower day on day since last week.

Gonna have a whirl at the extra heavy duty shorter springs next week. The theory is that the less the spring compresses, the longer the lifespan. Seeing that the heavy duty (red equivalent) 44mm only just failed to lift it every time, the extra n/mm strength should be fine do NOT fail... it's just down to lifespan.

Yeah, quite possible. Mine failed for the first time tonight (pretty cold outside though), but they looked a bit slower day on day since last week.

Gonna have a whirl at the extra heavy duty shorter springs next week. The theory is that the less the spring compresses, the longer the lifespan. Seeing that the heavy duty (red equivalent) 44mm only just failed to lift it every time, the extra n/mm strength should be fine do NOT fail... it's just down to lifespan.

Nope! The black ones failed after a week (just the once mind), so changed them for extra heavy duty 44mm which didn't work at the first attempt so gone for the 51mm ones, see how they do.

• 3 weeks later...

Can I ask how everyone's springs have managed in the cold weather recently? Trying to decided which is the most reliable ones to go for.

Thanks

Still using the extra heavy duty ones... which still fail most of the time in cold weather only. Don't know if they're any better than the black ones I had in before, but can't be @rsed to change them back, despite them blending in.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Bit of a resurrection:

Done this to the Scout today with the heavy duty Bearing Boys springs and new struts. The old struts were pooched and were being replaced anyway, so took the oppurtunity to do the upgrade :) :)