self parking

tmg

hey

so reading another thread, a question popped into my mind. 

I have a pre-fl 2012 combi with auto park. 

so seemingly the newer (FL) parking system lets it back into a space for you? is that correct?

and if it is correct, can that be retrofitted to a pre-fl car?

t.

It can be added but is not cheap

You would need

2x Rear ABS sensors

2x Extra PDC sensors on the side

1x New Control Module for PA

1x Loom

On certain cars the instrument cluster may need to be replaced, this is pre 2010 I think

and coding

I have made a kit for a guy with a Golf 6, he fitted it

How often do you use the self park systems that is already fitted to your car? Do you really need it? Most of us use it quite infrequently. Bay parking is on the FL. It does work but again only used it once!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never used mine at all.

I am in the mind that if you need the feature to help you park into as tight a space as possible leaves you at more risk of some careless twit next to you to hit you when they come out.

So I always give at least a meter each end, so I do not need the car to fit itself into any tight space. 

Maybe if I get arthritis in my arms I might use it someday :wonder:

I have had mine for two years now (parallel parking) and have used it about 6-10 times. If it had been bay parking then I would have used it more as I am crap at reversing. :rofl:

Though if it had been a cost option and not a standard fit I would now not tick that box, then again I might. :rofl:

I have had mine for two years now (parallel parking) and have used it about 6-10 times. If it had been bay parking then I would have used it more as I am crap at reversing. :rofl:

Though if it had been a cost option and not a standard fit I would now not tick that box, then again I might. :rofl:

I always drive forwards into bays. I don't see why people reverse in. You'd have squeeze the shopping trolley between cars to load your boot and with the length of the Superb you have to park right close to the car in front to fit in.

I can't help think its just a gimmick.

Edited by RichieJ

Agree about reverse parking into supermarket bays it is obvious the driver hasn't really thought ahead, & will certainly drive on the road the same way.

It will be a gimmick for those who can actually parallel park & park straight in a bay. Given there is so much bad parking & manufacturers are putting this sort of thing on all new cars to make driving easier ( lazy) that it will reach a stage where no one will be able to park themselves the car will do it for you.

And safer to drive straight out of a space as opposed to reversing out, what about a small child etc behind the car totally in your blind spot then you start reversing! Always my worst nightmare so I usually avoid it if possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Simple logic, it's easier to park reversing in.

You've obviously not seen my wife park!!!

How is it easier to reverse in, looking over your and using your mirrors, or drive straight in? Don't get me wrong I don't find it hard, I have my LGV licence and can bay park lorries but I'll always park in forwards.

After living in London, the auto-park would be a waste because the gap it needs is way bigger than would be useful.

If you really can't park, or live where parking and parking spaces are generous, then great.  Otherwise? Buy a smaller car. :-)

After living in London, the auto-park would be a waste because the gap it needs is way bigger than would be useful.

If you really can't park, or live where parking and parking spaces are generous, then great.  Otherwise? Buy a smaller car. :-)

Really?

Have you actually tried it?

From my experience (I have only used it a handful of times... if that!) it can actually get into a gap that is only just larger than the car, the first time i tried it i didn’t believe the car would actually get into the gap, once parked there was about a 12” gap between myself and the car in front and behind me!

Not sure how useful the bay parking will be I will try it but I think after its first use it will not get used again?

The real benefit IMO is the fact you have front (side) sensors.

Reverse bay parking for me every time. Fixed rear wheels with mobile front wheels make reversing a doodle none of the forward and back dance that you're see so often as people line up the car. Much much safer for driving out, can see what is coming from either side and as been said the unpredictability of children.

Have the new parking system used it only to show off :0)

• Like 1

Agree about reverse parking into supermarket bays it is obvious the driver hasn't really thought ahead, & will certainly drive on the road the same way.

It will be a gimmick for those who can actually parallel park & park straight in a bay. Given there is so much bad parking & manufacturers are putting this sort of thing on all new cars to make driving easier ( lazy) that it will reach a stage where no one will be able to park themselves the car will do it for you.

Pot calling kettle black.

Almost hilarious, not though because I suspect it was not said in jest.