Rear ended someone at a roundabout

Funny you should say that Mr Ree, the other driver stiffly got out of their car and made a few grumbles about feeling like they'd been hit very hard.

Seriously when I worked in insurance - about 15 years ago - this was the single most common type of accident. Most people are focused on the cars coming round the roundabout. Not saying it's not a scam but this could just be a very human accident!

• Like 1

Can those that have them recomend a good dash cam?

Not sure you can beat the Mobius dash cam for the price vs quality vs size balance. About £45 from China on ebay but the seller (eleteponline) is very reputable in my experience. They supplied a replacement battery quickly and free of charge when mine played up.

Adam

• Like 1

Last April, I had a woman in a VW Polo pull out on me and just stop in the middle of the road in blind panic. I thought I was going to stop, but the inevitable happened and I hit her on the rear driver side door and wheel arch.

It was a 60mph road, but I must of got the speed down low enough as the airbags didn't trigger.

The damage was both upper and lower grills smashed, both head lights, bumper, bonnet (big 'V' dent where it hit the wheel arch) and both wheel arches pushed out on the centre of the arches. There was also a bit of plastic damage behind the bumper although the front crash bar was undamaged.

The bill for the repair which included the replacement of all damaged parts and a front end re-spray was £4,500.

The repair centre said I was lucky all the front airbags (had a passenger) didn't go off otherwise it probably would have been written off by the insurance company.

Mine took four weeks to put back on the road as they had to wait for parts from the Czech Republic as not all are standard stock in the UK.

I hope you get it back soon.

Anthony

post-72040-0-41314000-1397515571_thumb.jpg

post-72040-0-35511600-1397516234_thumb.jpg

post-72040-0-49143200-1397516248_thumb.jpg

post-72040-0-27634100-1397516261_thumb.jpg

Edited by adstalker

That looked nasty enough. The bi-xenon units are not cheap unfortunately and probably didn't help the repair bill. You were lucky with the airbags alright. Had a close one myself on my way home this evening. The car in front slowed down in a line of traffic on a 100kph stretch and brake lights not working (or else managed to slow down without applying brakes!). It was very close but luckily the EBA worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last April, I had a woman in a VW Polo pull out on me and just stop in the middle of the road in blind panic. I thought I was going to stop, but the inevitable happened and I hit her on the rear driver side door and wheel arch.

It was a 60mph road, but I must of got the speed down low enough as the airbags didn't trigger.

The damage was both upper and lower grills smashed, both head lights, bumper, bonnet (big 'V' dent where it hit the wheel arch) and both wheel arches pushed out on the centre of the arches. There was also a bit of plastic damage behind the bumper although the front crash bar was undamaged.

The bill for the repair which included the replacement of all damaged parts and a front end re-spray was £4,500.

The repair centre said I was lucky all the front airbags (had a passenger) didn't go off otherwise it probably would have been written off by the insurance company.

Mine took four weeks to put back on the road as they had to wait for parts from the Czech Republic as not all are standard stock in the UK.

I hope you get it back soon.

Anthony

Apart from the arches mine looks exactly the same, £4500 doesn't buy a lot of repairs.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

Seems like another justification to get a Car-Cam to me. Especially since actual scams are getting more prolific. Even if it isn't a scam, too many people do like to try their luck at someone else's expense.

They would think twice though if they knew the other party had a camera.

I have even had guys doing a sudden cover up or head turn away when they notice my camera. I can only assume that they think my dark coloured superb could be an un-marked police car and that they shouldn't be driving. :giggle:

Seriously though, I do not think I can ever do without a car-cam now as I just feel reassured that I am protected against any possible scam.

Am thinking of one already.

But then do we need one for front, back and both sides?

You mean something like the google street view camera?

Lol

Yes!

No.

I mean we get front shunts (dodgy drivers crossing ur path or removing their brake lights)

Rear shunts (dodgy ppl deliberately slowly hit from behind)

And side shunts (cant thing of any dodgy incidents)

So do we need at least a front / rear cam?

Then again,

Does that make our cars more likelyhood for break-ins (as with cars with satnav on windscreens or marks left behind by suction cup)?

Or am i getting paranoid?

Lol

Yes!

No.

I mean we get front shunts (dodgy drivers crossing ur path or removing their brake lights)

Rear shunts (dodgy ppl deliberately slowly hit from behind)

And side shunts (cant thing of any dodgy incidents)

So do we need at least a front / rear cam?

Then again,

Does that make our cars more likelyhood for break-ins (as with cars with satnav on windscreens or marks left behind by suction cup)?

Or am i getting paranoid?

I might just walk.... :rofl:

• Like 1

Not sure you can beat the Mobius dash cam for the price vs quality vs size balance. About £45 from China on ebay but the seller (eleteponline) is very reputable in my experience. They supplied a replacement battery quickly and free of charge when mine played up.

Adam

Adam

How have you fitted this in your car? Does it power from battery or have you run a power lead for it?

thanks

Martin

Lady Vienna posted a clip of a bump she witnessed in the dasham thread. Brilliant quality, though I don't know which cam she's got. Fortunately for the car in front of her that got hit the person that caused the accident stopped, but even so having the footage would save anyone many sleepless nights knowing it didn't matter what the other side claimed what happened.

Mine is a blackvue 400. The thing that gets me is people are genuine at the time then change their story after the event when they find out how much it's going to cost them lol. That's what these camera are brilliant for!

Adam

How have you fitted this in your car? Does it power from battery or have you run a power lead for it?

thanks

Martin

Martin

I fitted a female usb port in the govlebox, running it from a fusebox switched live (and with a 12V to 5V step down in the circuit).  I then ran a usb lead from the port up the A pillar through the headlining to the camera.

You could just use the cigarette lighter to run charge to it if you don't mind wires dangling (my ocd doesn't allow that), or because the unit has a battery, it can be charged periodically when the car is not in use via a mains adaptor.  I'm not sure how quick it runs down though as mine is on charge all the time I am driving.

Adam

Just heard back from body shop - new bumper, upper and lower grill, new bonnet, new chrome bonnet trim, new passenger headlight and new passenger fog. Saying it's a week's work if the parts are in stock.

nothing yet from my insurer r.e the other driver's claim but they did say they'd let me know how it was settled when it's done. It'll be interesting to see what's paid out.

Just heard back from body shop - new bumper, upper and lower grill, new bonnet, new chrome bonnet trim, new passenger headlight and new passenger fog. Saying it's a week's work if the parts are in stock.

nothing yet from my insurer r.e the other driver's claim but they did say they'd let me know how it was settled when it's done. It'll be interesting to see what's paid out.

Mine was also a weeks work.  The remaining three weeks were the body shop waiting for the parts.

IIRC, the headlamps were circa £700 each due to them being the adaptive xenon ones.  They were the most expensive bits on the parts list.

Mine was SIX weeks and approx £5k

Mostly waiting for parts and time at Skoda

Aww man, six weeks, don't think the wife would appreciate that especially with a 1.0l corsa courtesy car.

I would recommend one of the newer HD cams with Sound / GPS & speed, you get what you pay for when you put these in I would recommend paying for a decent one, you can get them now with bluetooth link to a laptop which will allow you to see what the camera see's in realtime.

I had a roadhawk non HD in my Octy & it was fine it did the job.

SWMBO has an HD  Blackvue in the front of her Fabia & this will be going in the front of the Yeti when it arrives, & a non HD blackvue in the rear. 

I installed a 12v socket in the fuse box at the end of the dash with a switched and permanent supply to a 'power magic' voltage monitoring box of tricks, this is fitted next to the OBD port for discreet switching if I want the cameras to run when the car is left unattended without fear of a flat battery.

The blackvue I have also allows me to connect to it via wifi for live streaming and instant downloads to my iphone as and when needed.

Not cheap kit but it shows as much info as you like, including the ability to record sound, gps location, map overlay and real time speed.

Can those that have them recomend a good dash cam?

I have a Blackvue 500GW (WiFi) and it is great. You can see video on mobile phone using WiFi feature.

Not cheap and worth paying to have it professionally installed. 16GByte Micro SD records about 8 hrs then start overwriting. Mine has paid for itself in my accident claim for a rear end shunt. Although rear ended, the video clearly showed traffic and road conditions as well as weather and overhead gantry speed signs.

Latest version has a front and rear camera.

I got Blackvue DR400G HDII couple of months back brand new for £100 on Amazon, was suspicious as seemed too cheap but seems like i got a bargain. I use a Waeco power saver and have it hard wired to fuse box cable run up side then tucked into headlining so only small bit of cable noticeable by mirror. Pic quality very good can clearly see number plates.

Blackvue HD ticks all the boxes.

Can read a number plate.

Faces clear enough for ID purposes.

Can see the damage on the other car.

Can read traffic signs/road markings/matrix displays.

Good field of view/depth of field.

• 2 weeks later...

Surprise, surprise, what arrives in the post this morning - a letter from a solicitor acting on behalf of the other driver for a claim for injury.

On the upside, got the car back too. Looks like new, even buffed out a couple of old fine scratches on the wing and fixed a couple of stone chips both of which were before the bump

I'd recommend the Roadhawk RH 2 as well as the Blackvue 500gw having used both in various vehicles I've got to say they were both good however I preferred the Blackvue as I was able to see footage on my smart phone and the slightly higher quality than my Roadhawk but both are good cameras, one advantage I'd say the RH 2 has is the emergency button which can be stuck on dash which makes it easy to make sure the crash is recorded if the g sensor doesn't trigger such as really slow scrapes on side.