BATTERY... Whats the largest battery anyone has fitted to a Mk2

Trying to simply get somec opinions at this stage... What's the largest battery anyone has managed to wedge into their Octy Mk2... 2.0TDi PD. 

Mine has no plastic battery box or cover, just a simple battery tray with battery clamped on bottom lip. Do they come as standard like that or is that something the Police have specified on my Octy (Ex Force) seems their are a few minor amendments to the standard Octy so far.

Any battery sizing info gratefully received.

Thanking you in Advance

I have an ex police 1.9 the, the only changes I can see so far are the addition of screw holes everywhere! Engine Inc battery tray look the same as any other....

I'd imagine if yours had a fair bit of equipment in it then it would make sense to have have a larger one, wouldn't make any odds to the Police as they don't have the Warranty to worry about...also, I contacted Cambs Police via Facebook and they advised a brief history on it, may be worth seeing if they can tell you...

Edited by MereKat

As stated above the Bosch S5 096 is an awesome battery. Loads of cranking power. Fits in no problem. I think I just had to bolt the bracket in back a bit.

http://www.justcarbatteries.co.uk/s5008-bosch-silver-096-battery.html

Same here my old crappy one just died was 360 cca !! new one Bosch Battery (S5 Battery 096 5 Year Guarantee) Part No.: 444770968 From Euro Car Parts.

Its great £108 though but im sure well worth the investment !

• Amp Hours: (Ah): 77Ah
  • Cold Cranking Amp: (CCA): 780CCA

Right, just been out into the cold to check my current battery.

It's a factory battery on a 2008 Scout.

I've noticed some slow cranking randomly over the last 6 months. Wierdly it can be fine one morning and then poor the next.

I've also had an issue on a hot day when I experienced the same issue.

I'm not 100% convinced it is the battery as I suspect it may be the starter motor (a weak point on the Octavia).

Anyway I'm going to get myself a Bosch S5, replacing the battery is cheaper than a starter motor so I'll start with the battery, after all it is now 6 years old (although my 12 year old Peugeot 306 still had the original battery on it when I sold it at 12 years old!).

These are the numbers off the top of the battery:

Banner AT BA2

IJ0 915 105 AE

12V 70Ah 340A DIN

570 EN/SAE

Does this mean the cold cranking amp (CCA) is 340?

My Scout has the same battery Silver, I don't think its up to the job! Its only 18 months old but I've already had a few low battery bongs, and when starting the car the HIDs have to re strike  if they are on before the starter cranks. (I leave the auto lights on all the time). 

For the sake of £80 I'm buying a Bosch tonight.

I measured the current Banner battery and it was 27.5cm x 17.5cm x 19cm (LxWxH), the Bosch S5008 096 is exactly the same size (give or take a few mm, it was dark :D )

I've taught the wife not to leave the lights in Auto but I suspect it's just a low cost battery, so I should be grateful for 6 years.

Will report back next week!

I'm still on my original battery.

I have auto lights left in auto and it starts fine.

I did have a new starter motor fitted under warranty though. When starting just before it started it would "chug" slightly and the alternator would rattle/squeak.

So you're right about the starter perhaps being a weak point.

Hopefully the battery cures it.

Phil

• Like 1

I have recently fitted a new battery to mine as Skoda recommend in their manual, well in my Octavia 1Z one anyway, that the battery should be replaced at 5 years. Mine was 6 1/2 years old at time of replacement and now the new one is on I can deffo tell the difference in cranking speed and I was just being picky with cranking speed when I changed mine, no major issues.

With regard to the missing battery tray on ex-plod cars this is not overly uncommon on the" older cars" due to them having to fit additional wiring and fuses to accommodate the extra kit and often more powerful batteries are fitted. Newer vehicles can have extra kit on fitted on the standard wiring or spec the car to have additional kit fitted at the factory, Volvo where the best at this.

The S-max's in my force need auxiliary batteries to assist matters! However they normally chuck it all back where possible when the police kit is removed as part of the de-commissioning process but not always.

THANK YOU ONE AND ALL... very interesting info, I shall now go and find the best price I can on a Bosch as recommended. Typically this will be my third battery this year, anymore and I'll be on first name terms with the guys in the battery shop..lol.

My Scout has the same battery Silver, I don't think its up to the job! Its only 18 months old but I've already had a few low battery bongs, and when starting the car the HIDs have to re strike  if they are on before the starter cranks. (I leave the auto lights on all the time). 

My Scout also has the same. Only need to have the interior lights on for a few mins to get the low battery boing.

I've read that the Varta E44 is the same battery as the Bosch S5.

Mark

My Scout also has the same. Only need to have the interior lights on for a few mins to get the low battery boing.

I've read that the Varta E44 is the same battery as the Bosch S5.

Mark

Indeed it is Mark, I have the Varta E44 fitted to my 2.0PD and I only paid £70 ish delivered last year. My wife also has one in her Seat Altea XL 170 which has more gadgets than mine, it has more than enough oomph for the job and for future tech mods.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/281521129849?nav=SEARCH

Edited by billywhiz040480

• 3 weeks later...

In the process of trying to unsuccessfully shoehorn a Transit battery in I lost the 13mm socket off the end of my T-bar.

Can I find it...

Looks like a jack up job and remove under tray to see where it got to.

Bloody cars!

I may remove a wheel first as I think you can get a bit of visibility across the top of the under tray from there.

Still at least it's not snowing (again) and once I find the socket I've all the air box n bits to replace, I had to whip them off to see anything from above.

Mental note:

Due to car having an undertray, future sockets are to be secured on extensions with masking tape before being used over an open bonnet.

In the process of trying to unsuccessfully shoehorn a Transit battery in I lost the 13mm socket off the end of my T-bar.

Can I find it...

Looks like a jack up job and remove under tray to see where it got to.

Bloody cars!

I may remove a wheel first as I think you can get a bit of visibility across the top of the under tray from there.

Still at least it's not snowing (again) and once I find the socket I've all the air box n bits to replace, I had to whip them off to see anything from above.

Mental note:

Due to car having an undertray, future sockets are to be secured on extensions with masking tape before being used over an open bonnet.

Reverse briskly, then stamp on the brakes. The offending socket will then hopefully be ejected from the back of the undertray.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

After much unnecessary work deconstructing the car I found the socket sat on a metal pipe that runs horizontally underneath the tandem pump grrr.

With old plastics and sub zero temperature I broke a few clips n such and even the inspection lamp mains lead broke due to cold induced brittleness.

Never mind... back to square one, feet up time.