Skip to content

Alasdair1

Resident Member
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Alasdair1

  1. Not sure of the fuse rating on the socket if you are puting one on dash. May have to put an inline one in. Alasdair
  2. I use what used to be the cigarette lighter. Plug in one. Nice and easy. If you wanted one on dash I would just tie into it as the wiring is fairly easy to get to Alasdair
  3. Thanks for the replies. Been looking at Fabias again. He had a go in my Octavia but reckons its too big for him. Thinking on either late Mk2 1.6MPI manual petrol or if I can find one in good condition the MK2 1.9tdi PD Had a look at MK3 but in my opinion engines seem to be getting uite small and either have turbos on petrol or dpf in diesel. Want to keep it as simple and easy as possible. He says that he gets paid for mileage etc so not so critical if its petrol or diesel. Thanks again Alasdair
  4. Do the dash lights come on when turning key to pre start position? Alasdair
  5. So far no ulez in Inverness but there is in aberdeen. He works for coop and seems to be getting offers to travel to other stores as supervisor when they need extra staff or during refit. Hes got seven weeks nightshift coming up but its fairly local. Most he will be travelling is around 100 miles a day.
  6. I agree with the 1.9tdi. Have had three now and no real probs at all plus a bit easier to work on than the 1.6tdi. Might be a problem finding one with lowish mileage and good condition as I think your right with upto 2010. Have read a few reports re 1.6 injector issues but so far my 1.6tdi has been fine. DPF is another thing but as long as he takes car out for decent runs etc should be ok. Will look for elegance/LandK spec and see what I can find. Hes happy with the Fabia but wants something more modern/luxury etc. I reckon he should get something a bit larger as he is going to be travelling a bit with his work and I would prefer him driving something a bit heavier and safer. I had proper volvos for years but not sure what there like now. His fabia has been great. Its only done about 70k and so far a new battery,wheel bearing and I did the clutch as it totalled itself. Thanks for the replies Alasdair
  7. Hi there Sons thinking of getting a newer car. He has at moment Fabia MK1 1.2 06 plate but wants something newer and a bit more power. Hes 19 so insurance for VRS etc may be too high. I have been trying to persuade him to get an Octavia as its bigger and probably safer but not sure which engine etc is most reliable these days. I have had the 1.9tdi pd in an octavia/fabia and a seat which have never given me any bother at all but I think the 1.9tdi was last used in 2010. At moment have the 1.6tdi octavia 12 plate and so far no problems. Are there any to avoid re problems with dpf etc. As I generally do my own work also looking for the easiest to work on. Not sure if he should go for diesel or petrol either. Any help and advice welcome. Alasdair
  8. Tried the link but access denied. If its from cold then maybe heater plugs failed. Mine had two that had gone and when starting from cold did sound lumpy/knocking but went when engine warm. Might be worth getting it scanned for fault codes etc. They are as you said amazing engines. Loads of torque and when you want it loads of power and if its the PD engine pretty bomb proof and no DPF Alasdair
  9. The mechanism under gear stick is plastic if I remember correctly. It can wear out over time. If you can still change gear I would leave it unless it becomes a problem. Next service perhaps mention it and have garage have a look. I think you can get a repair kit for the gear selector an. It may be as simple as replacing ends of cables. The adjusting of cables is very easy. You lock gearstick in neutral with 5mm pin and then undo cable ends at gearbox. lock gear selector tower and re attach cable ends. It took me about 10 mins. As said on my sons its the spring that has broken but as he can still change gear I left it alone for the minute Alasdair
  10. If the timing is out by a notch or two it will be down on power. I would not run car until the timing has been checked and the problem with belt has been addressed. If its slightly out it probably won't cause any damage to valves etc but if the belt jumps a few more notches then you could be back to square one. Alasdair
  11. Sons fabia is similar. Theres a spring under gearstick cover that has broken on his. Gearstick seems wobbly and doesnt; return to centre. The cover just clips in place and can be lifted to check that nothing has worn/broken. It could also be that the cable selector ends at gearbox have moved. You can reset cables by inserting I think 5mm drill bit under Gstick and then lock gear selector on gearbox and undo cable asembly and refit. I used this
  12. Found this guide on here re changing belt etc. Might be of some help especially the tensioner and locking pins etc Alasdair
  13. Glad you got it sorted. Why they put the slave cylinder a position when it leaks it kills the clutch I don't know. Reckon you got a good deal from the garage plus replacing DMF is the way to go. Might as well when Gbox is out etc.
  14. Meant to add is it a new tensioner etc as well.
  15. Pulled this from the Gates catalogue. Its for a 1.9 sdi ASY engine upto 2007. Has the mechanic got the belt fitted correctly and has the tensioner been fitted properly. Is it a new belt and the correct one if so. Alasdair.
  16. I reckon they are probably obsolete/not available as car is 20 years old plus. Might be worth seeing if you can get a set from scrapyard in better condition. Alasdair
  17. If the battery/starter motor was on its way out I doubt leaving it a few secs would make any difference. Might be a poor earth or corosion on the starter connections. Alasdair
  18. Looks ok to me re tension but did he use the tools for locking up drive sprocketstiming when fitting it. It might be 1 tooth out. Alasdair
  19. Glad there getting to the bottom of it hopefully. I would perhaps replace ignition switch anyway as you said it continued to run when key was removed. Does sound like something is stuck/worn in there. If the voltage of the battery is too low it can cause random problems with electrics/electronics but the switch is either on or off and shouldn't be affected by low voltage. Alasdair
  20. Was actually thinking on driving lights instead of fog as the headlights on his arent the best. Alasdair
  21. I would say the ignition switch has gone if it continued to run once key removed. I am surprised the imobilser didn't come on ? If the switch is stuck in pre ignition mode then that could flatten battery if left for a while. I would presonally disconnect battery and put on charge or jump it and see if the switch works plus central locking etc. I would also keep the battery disconected until you discover why it continued to run. Last thing you want is for the car to start itself. Alasdair
  22. Not sure if it normally makes a noise re HPFP sensor/valve. Might be worth changing it to see if it makes a difference depending on the cost of a new one. Alasadair
  23. Not the same car but my 1.9tdi whistled away like yours and randomly went into limp mode. Actuator for turbo was sticking. Freed it off and it was fine since. Might be worth checking its moving freely and not jammed half in half out. Alasdair
  24. Could be the new fuel pump isn't set up correctly or perhaps the fuel pressure regulator if it hasn't been changed
  25. My sons MK1 has the spaces in bumper but no wiring. I was thinking of fitting them with an inline fuse and just an extra switch on dash to make it simple. Alasdair

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.