Skip to content

Routemaster1461

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Routemaster1461

  1. I saw a video about learners and insurance. It appears that if a young person has a car and insures it declaring a provisional license, the quote can be quite low. This is probably because the car is effectively under control of a licenced driver. After passing the test, the pass must be declared and there is a fair chance that, because there is no moderation, the insured is seen as a higher risk.
  2. If you have a claim on one of the policies you should also inform the other companies. If you have two policies with the same company you need to ensure they know about your second policy. I had an issue when my neighbour's fence fell in a gale and damaged our car. I had previously had a no-fault write-off in 2018. When I got in touch about the new damage, it turned out that the company software didn't 'inform' one of the policies about the total loss. My policy was loaded in 2018, but the second policy wasn't but should have been. They couldn't charge extra for the years they had missed, but did make a small charge for the last year unntil the accident went off the record. In the end I didn't get the new damage done through insurance as the excess was as much as it cost me to get it fixed. However, if I had done it through insurance my two policies would most likely have been loaded, and as I am a named driver on my two daughter's policies with the same company, I wouldn't have been surprised if they got loaded as well. In my view, I think it is appaling that you can have a no-fault paid by the third party, then have all of your policies loaded as well.
  3. I had a succession of cars of the same brand. One thing that came out of the forums was that a specific trim level had a high spec, and then over the years certain features were removed to save costs. One specific feature is that my first one had a digital dash with a choice of five colours, and the next one of the same spec only had one colour. During the last three or four years shortages of microchips has effecively forced manufacturers to ship cars with certain features not fitted, and it has been a bit of a lottery with some buyers being disappointed with cars not fitted with what was expected. I suppose I was lucky as our Edition has everything it shoiuld have.
  4. There are two types of TPMS. The direct type with sensors in each wheel will show the actual pressures on the centre screen, but the indirect type (which relies on data from the ABS sensors) only indicates that a tyre is losing pressure. On our Karoq it does tell you which tyre is losing pressure; other brands don't and you have to discover which by yourself. I would have thought that with the indirect type, if the was a fault with the sensor there would be an ABS fault as well.
  5. It only defaults to map if you use the satnav to navigate, whether that is built in satnav or, in my case, google maps. It always goed to the built in map. You can set the system to display something else, in my cas fuel consumpton since start, and it will default to that until you use the satnav. To set up what you want, you need to use the buttons and scroll bar in the right hand side of the steering wheel. The scroll bar allso needs to be pressed. I can't tell you exactly how to set what you want, and I'm afraid I don't find it intuitive. When mine shows the map, I have to press the bottom left button on the right of the wheel, scroll up two places and then press the scroll bar. May be different depending on what you require in the middle.
  6. My car does have ACC, but I have mine set as normal CC and it does slow when there is slower traffic in front.
  7. Surely it uses sensors or a camera as it adjusts speed when following a slower car.
  8. This is usually called a kick-down pedal. The only function I can think of is to over-ride the speed limiter.
  9. This may depend on where you live. I switched to petrol partly because of the anti-dieselattitude that seems to prevail, and partly due to the issues that many owners of other brands have had with Adblue systems and DPFs blocking. Petrol is cheaper, but you get fewer miles per gallon. At current UK prices, if you have a petrol car that does 40mpg, a diesel car needs to be able to do ~48 mpg to break even. If you live on the continent, where diesel seem to be significantly cheaper, that may make diesel a lot more favourable. I drove diesels for many years and I prefered how they drove, but I haven't regretted going to petrol.
  10. If you change the mode the icon on the display that looks like a road will change. Normal is a straight road, sport is a curved road, custom is a couple of gears. I've never used eco which is a leaf symbol wth Eco next to it. I run in either normal or sport mode but the only difference I can feel is that the steering isn't quite as light. I feel no difference in throttle response.
  11. If you are going into this level of detail, don't forget that the metal the engine is made from ecpands as well, so the voids that the oil sits in will expand at the same time the oil expads. Anyones guess as to which would be the most and it is really trivial. As for the poiition of the oil filter, once a new filter is fillted and full of oil, that oil will noty drain back into the sump.
  12. Can I just query what 'internet radio' means. Is this about DAB radio. If so, the stations are only broadcast quite locally. If the reference is to radio via internet, the issue with BBC stations is that they may well only work with a UK IP, so a VPN will possibly be required.
  13. Does the 1.0TSi in the Kamiq have an oil level sensor?
  14. The drone comes in when the engine goes into 2 cylinder mode. That obviously will not happen in a 1.0 TSi. I don't know whether the 4 cylinder 1.5 TSi has a 2 cylinder mode.
  15. You can run the dascam from one of the usb c sockets. These turn off when the igniton is off. You may find that the dashcam thinks it is plugged into a computer, so you may need a data blocking cable I got 3 usb c to usb a data blockers from Amazon.
  16. I've had my Karoq over 3 winters including this, and during that time I have only had to scrape my screen once, so it would have been a waste of money to me. The salesman tried to get me to have a heated steering wheel, but I wasn't paying over £300 for that, and I can put up with cold hands for 10 minutes. We do have heated seats, but these were standard. My wife uses hers thre or 4 times a year and I have only used mine a couple of times to try and to test. I wouldn't pay extra for those either.
  17. You could plug the dashcam into the second usb c socket. I do this, but when I first tried this the dashcam wouldn't work as it thought it was connected to a computer. Solved this by buying a usb c to a female usb a data-blocking cable, which sorted it out.
  18. Android Auto is not the same. On mine it goes straight to a map at the current location with 2 suggestions, based on where the phone has been (not necessarily the car).
  19. In all my time on several forums I have never seen a post about issues with a GPF. I don't think you need to be concerned.
  20. I assume that when the V5 arrives for these pre-registered cars, it shows that the purchaser is the second owner. This may have some effect on the second-hand value, and also can affect insurance as the first owner often gets more cover than a second owner. This use to be full replacement value during the first year rather than current market value. One advantage of buying pre-registered may be that, as the car has to be taxed on each change of ownership, the new owner doesn't have to pay the large first year VED, and only has to pay the standard £180.
  21. I replied to this post in the Kamiq section. Is there a section on the forum where common problems which affect different models can be discussed.
  22. This type of fault is common. I have a Karoq, and I had this problem. The first time was on a summer trip to Austria and the alarm went off quite a few times. It almost always reset by switching off the engine, alliowing the systems to shut down and restarting.This was 'cured' by a software update and a new aerial. I was told it was a glitch when you moved between service providers. I only used the car once before we went on a second trip to the continent and it went off 3 times before we reached the Channel Tunnel, leaving me with no SOS system for all of the M25 from Surrey to Folkestone. We had 21 alarms in 14 days. So it was back in for a further update, then it was decided we needed another new aerial. So in for 7 days for the first time and another 4 days for the second. BTW, although we have probably had 40-50 occurences no fault showed in the log. I haven't really used the car since so I don't know whether it is finally cured, and no plans at present for any longish trips.
  23. After even more confusion (message about an appointment I didn't agree a date for, mystery warranty work and a sfety check which turned out to be unnecessary) I had my handbook corrected. Date and page of alteration in the back of the book referring to page 46, which turned out to be correction to the information of fitting child seats, which isn't relevant to us. I'm not even sure that the corrections are correct.
  24. I don't think that the tyres normally fitted should be considered Eco tyres. There are Eco tyres on the market, but these are designed for use on electric cars where the cars are heavier and rolling resistance is critical to the range of the car. You can fit them to conventional cars but the grip they give is significantly poorer.

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.