Everything posted by Routemaster1461
-
When would you manually activate the parking brake?
It is manual. To answer any potential questions, the Autobrake button os next to the parking brake button. When you come to a halt, as long as the car is in neutral and the clutch is up, the brake comes on and the parking brake icon comes on on the dash. Youi can hear it disengage when you move off. Autohold just holds the car on a hill by not releasing the pressure in the brake lines, assuming the system recognises the car is on a slope and the abs rings are not rotating. For clarity again my car has both Autobrake and Autohold. Oh, also it does state my car is a manual in the signature at the bottom.
-
When would you manually activate the parking brake?
I think there may be some confusion here. My car has the electronic brake which applies whenever I stop the engine. It also has hill assist (autohold) which holds the car on hills without application of the parkink brake. It also has Autobrake, which applies the parking brake when you stop, As a test, I disengaged the autobrake and allowed the car to run down a gentle slope. On stopping and releasing the brake pedal the car started to roll down the hill. When I then applied tha Autobrake I had to press the accelerator to allow the car to roll, and then I stopped again. This time the car held. If Hill Hold stops the car and the footbrake is released the car will move after a few seconds. If the Autobake is on the car will sit there until you release it by applying throttle.
-
When would you manually activate the parking brake?
My Karoq has an autobrake, sothe brakes are applied whenever the car stops. I can't see any need to apply the brake manually if you have it.
-
Lane assist is dangerous
A bit late to the party with this. I have a Karoq with lane assist. What has really annoyed me has been the frequent warning for 'stay in the middle of your lane' on our fairly narrow A roads, paricularly annoying when it is road surface irregularities that cause the warning. As I haven't had the car very long it has taken a while to understand some of the systems. From what I recall in this thread, it appears that people have advocated switching off the lane departure system, and having to do it each time the car is started. However in my last two trips up to London I realised that I hadn't had a warning and investigation found that the system was switched off. Experimentation seems to indicate that on my car, if you switch the system off, it stays switched off.
-
Bus lane signs
Try googling Whitelegg Way, Bournemouth. The road was originally built to supplement/bypass a fairly short narrow twisting road to give a shorter travel time, and partly to allow buses to use the old road. It is a gently curving road through a little green space, and was subject to a 40mph limit. Then the council got money to improve cycling. They built wide cycle paths each side, narrowing the road so much that there is a problem when emergency vehicles need to get through when traffic is heavy. This forces people into the kerbs. But instead of low chamfered kerbs that allow people to get out of the way without damaging their alloy wheels, the kerbs they have used are about 6 inches high on the road and the cycleway side, and instead of minor damage to wheels there is a danger of significant wheel damage, and if a car does mount the kerb and come down with one wheel on the cycleway, there is a good chance of significant damage to the bottom of the car. If this happens, of course, it will not be the council's fault.
-
Kodiaq 2018 brake lines
Although the OP gave a description of what Halfords told him needed doing, as far as I am aware, there has been no indication of what the actual faults were on the certificate.
-
Kodiaq 2018 brake lines
Quite a few years ago my car nneded an MOT. My wife drove it to my workplace and I watched her leave the yard, observing that the brake lights were working properly. She drove about half a mile for the test, and it failed on a non-functioning brake light. In my experience, if a bulb or wiper blade is unserviceable, the car will be failed, they will fix the issue, then pass it.
-
Kodiaq 2018 brake lines
Another issue here is that a fail is a fail. This will make the car illegal to drive on the road as the failure will supercede any remaining part of the first 3 years or the remaining existing MOT.
-
Kodiaq 2018 brake lines
Would this be worth reporting to the SMMT and Trading Standards?
-
Kodiaq 2018 brake lines
I'm really at a loss to understand this. Are they implying that there is corrosion in the pipes? If so, how do they know as any corrosion would be on the inside, which an MOT wouldn't confirm as the pipes would need to be removed. Although the brake disc may be corroded enough to fail an MOT, connecting this to the lack of a cap is plainly nonsense. I think it may be necessary to have a word with the workshop manager, and perhaps make a complaint to Corporate to get this investigated.
-
KESSY issue.
I don't think you need to worry about that. The only way to open the door or tailgate is either with the key very close to the car or by pressing a button on the key. The reason for using Faraday pouches it to prevent car theives using electronic gadgets to amplify the key signal to steal the car. The KESSY keys switch off if they are not moved for 5 minutes, so all you need to do is to ensure that you cannot press any of the buttons inadvertantly. Leaving them on a tale would be sufficient. Just don't leave them in your pocket.
-
Kodiaq 2018 brake lines
I think that doubtful as it isn't part of an MOT.
-
Kodiaq 2018 brake lines
Potentially, water in the brake fluid will corrode brake lines, but brake discs are exposed to the elements and will naturally corrode a little if the weather is wet and the car isn't used for a few days. Any corrosion is probably unconnected. I wonder whether the cap was actually missing when it went in, and it all sounds fishy to me. Did the brakes pass for efficiency? Take it elsewhere for MOT.
-
KESSY issue.
I have had my 2021 Karoq Edition about 7 weeks. We have the electric boot door (standard) and the KESSY system (don't remember whether it is standard or optional) with the remote boot opening. On two occasions we have come down in the morning and found the boot door open. My wife wondered if a cat had set off the opening by walking under the back of the car, but it appears that the key has to be close to the car for the system to work. So I did some experimentation. The key will open and close the car from as far away from the car as I can get in our house, but you need a much longer press on the button for it to operate. However, I can't get the boot to close via the key until I walk up to about 6 feet away from the car. So it appears that, as I tend to keep the keys in my pocket, it looks like I am accidentally pressing the boot open button some time during the evening. I am wondering if anyone else has had this happen, and I post this as a potential warning to others. I don't know whether the Kamiq has an electric boot door, but I'm sure the Kodiaq has.
-
New matrix headlights
If you have this function, it doesn't appear that you can disable through the menus. Won't that mean pushing the stalk away from you twice every time you need main beam?
-
USB-C cable recommendation
You could try this. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Thunderbolt-MacBook-Pixelbook-Surface-Black-Grey/dp/B0916DL8CY/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=angle+usb+c+to+usb+a&qid=1639477147&s=computers&sr=1-6
-
USB-C cable recommendation
This would be OK, but would be more useful if the usb A was a female connector.
-
What's your opinion on dpf cleaner additives?
As far as I am aware, Adblue is nothing whatsoever to do with dpfs. The purpose of the Adblue is to reduce nitrogen oxides in the exhaust. As the exhaust comes out of the engine almost directly into the dpf and the adble is injected between the dpf and the catalyst, it can have no effect on the dpf. Honest John, amonst others, reported that Adblue would replace the dpf regeneration catalyst in diesel cars. It doesn't. I have ghad two cars with regeneration fluid and Adblue.
-
What's your opinion on dpf cleaner additives?
As I am new to VAG cars, and have never owned a VAG diesel, could someone clarify how the dpfs are regenerated. Where I have come from there was an additive which was injected into the fuel, and this catalysed the regeneration of the dpf. I never had to replace this fluid and I didn't have any issues. One thing that was always stressed was that it was imperative to used the correct grade low SAPs oil to prevent sulphate and phosphates in the dpf. Does this differ appreciably from the VAG system. I now have two petrol cars with gpf filters, and I wonder if these will cause an issue. Presumably they will need low SAPs oil.
-
What's your opinion on dpf cleaner additives?
I don't have a diesel car now, but I have had 5 fitted with dpfs and never had any issues at all with engines or dpfs over a total of ~330,000 miles. This mileage was done almost exclusively on supermarket fuel. I don't think that there is any evidence that supermarket fuels are bad for engines, as the fuel still has to comply with legal standards.
-
New matrix headlights
I suspect that all Skodas are fitted with standard VAG lighting stalks, which may or may not be different depending on whether you have auto dipping. My 2021 Karoq does, and this is almost certainly the same stalk as a Kodoaq. On mine, the only position that the stalk can take is the central position. You can pull it towards you to flash the lights (spring loaded) and you can push it away, agin spring loaded. Pushing it away once will switch on the auto dipping, pushing again will put main beam 'permanently'. I assume you pull towards you to cancel the auto function. The car will revert to dip-beam only on a restart. Basically the stalk will only ever be in the central position unless it is being operated. I live in a fairly rural area, and I frequently travel on an unlit A road which has an unlit village with a 30mph limit. I seem to recall that the auto function works fine through the 30 mph limit,
-
Flat Battery New Car
You can also power a dashcam from a usb c socket. This has the advantage that it switches off shortly after the ignition is switched off. The downside is that on mine (a Mio), when connected it tries to connect data from the camera to the car. The way I got round this was a short data blocking usb cable, which sorted the issue.
-
Wireless/inductive charging of iPhone 8 : Should it work?
It works fine in our Karoq and my daughter's iPhone 11. You do not need to switch it on. but you may get a message saying something like 'remove object from charger plate'.
-
SUSPENSION
Interesting that the tables and pictures above indicate 235/40 19 tyres on Crater wheels. My 2021 car has 225/40 19 tyres on Crater wheels.
-
Puddle lights
Lights on our Karoq are on the bottom of the doors and project 'SKODA' on the ground. May be similar on a Kamiq.