DIY Guide: The 'elephant hose CCV (catch-can) mod'

Basil

• 3 weeks later...

One last question... Does this mod require that the hose from the CCV follows a constant downwards path to properly dispel the oil vapour via gravity?

Not necessarily mine travels horizontal round the engine block to a catch can, been running it for 20k miles with zero problems!

Not necessarily mine travels horizontal round the engine block to a catch can, been running it for 20k miles with zero problems!

Thanks anyone but I removed mine after I read of ppl losing boost with it on :o

Car has done lots of mines anyway so bit late to start trying to keep the innards clean now ;)

You wont even need glue if you get a long chair/table rubber which will go all the way over the tube nice a tightly

I used same sort of thing. I bought a rubber that is meant to go on the end of a walking stick! its a perfect tight fit which looks OE as its black & only cost 50p from local hardware shop.

Thanks anyone but I removed mine after I read of ppl losing boost with it on emoticon-0104-surprised.gif

Car has done lots of mines anyway so bit late to start trying to keep the innards clean now emoticon-0105-wink.gif

I would'nt agree with that. Would'nt you rather try to prevent your ic and pipes from getting in any worse state rather than just leaving it and waiting for something to give up....ie turbo, which means BIG £££.

I did this mod last night along with the egr bypass mod

Armed with the following tools:

Screwfix washing machine waste hose £3.17

Coca cola bottle cap - free

electrical Tape - free

jubilee clip - free

cable ties - free

egr pipe i used an old bolt and screwed into the end - free

It took about ten mins, most of this time was spent routing the pipe and jacking the car up

it really is the easiest mod i have ever done, and keeping all standard parts makes it very reversible

• 4 months later...

Just read all the posts!

Currently, I am losing about half a litre of oil every 150 or so miles. I have ran through every posibilty and nothng seems to be the answer.

No leaks or black smoke from exhaust.

I have been suggested to do this mod...

Do you think this could solve my issue?

Will be doing anyhow :)

• 7 months later...

Just had a read through this thread after finding it linked from elsewhere, and have a couple of questions...

1) I'm not familiar with everyone's specs on here, is this a mod that's worth doing to any car? There's no problems doing it on a hybrid turbo setup (I'm guessing not since Jason's engine is far more extremely modified than mine but you never know)?

2) If I'm going to do it the pikey way which I probably will for now to see how it goes, possibly upgrade to a proper catch can later on, what's the best route to take the pipe? I still have my undertray attached and will keep it that way so will there be any problems with running a hose down and then running it horizontally towards the back of the car if necessary to clear the tray? I'd just feel more comfortable knowing that the tray wasn't catching any water/oil which leaks out because that would reduce the chances of me noticing if there was ever a problem. Again, I'm guessing not if the crankcase is always under positive pressure as it'll just push the vapour out regardless, but again I'm just checking...

3) Is the general concensus that this will give a cleaner burn similar to removing the EGR and therefore should have a positive effect on MPG and smoke output?

Cheers!

I'm wanting to do this mod. Can anyone post the parts I need?

1m of 19mm oil resistant hose

2 jubilee clips

Bung/cap? Any thing I can buy on eBay for this? I was thinking walking stick rubber end thing, but what size?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be ok instead of blanking the hole on the air intake side of things off to instead run a small air filter on it?

• 1 month later...

I did the mod today. I took a few pictures aswell.

I had to hacksaw the clip of the old pipe at the crankcase end. It would not budge! If I were to reverse this mod the clamp that attaches the new breather pipe could easily be used to re-attach the old one.

HTH

018-3.jpg

yuk!

017-2.jpg

Before cutting hose to legnth

020-2.jpg

End secured under car

021-3.jpg

022-3.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

All that I need is this?

If I was re-doing this mod on a virgin engine

19mm Heater hose (your ebay link is fine)

A handful of Cable ties

A Jubilee Clip

Aluminium Bung (again the ebay ones look good)

That is all.

Pipe from mine runs down the R/H rear corner of the block and is zip tied to one of the exhast hangers :thumbup:

Machined Alloy bung fitted by TRD when doing my turbo B)

No filter just vents to atmosphere (not strictly legal but passed an MOT last week)

IMGP0030.jpg

IMGP0031.jpg

Don't bother buying a bung. I used a black plastic beverage screw on lid plus super glue, looks completely OEM.

Those parts on Ebay look expensive, much cheaper at Halfords! Cost me under £5 all in.

• 1 month later...

I've had my car for 8 years and have about 115k miles on the clock. Turbo was changed about 3 or 4 years ago after the original blew up. Is it worth doing still and, if so, is there anyone that would be able to help me out a bit as i have no mechanic friends i can call on?? :(

I've had my car for 8 years and have about 115k miles on the clock. Turbo was changed about 3 or 4 years ago after the original blew up. Is it worth doing still and, if so, is there anyone that would be able to help me out a bit as i have no mechanic friends i can call on?? :(

Yes, worth doing IMHO, and it is really straight forward to do. More complex if you're planning to run a Catch Can.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I need some clarification on this before I do it myself.

I see most people are blanking the Intake thingy off (with bottle-caps etc.) and others that are running an Oil Catch Can that doesn't blank that off but has a pipe going to the Catch can... Can someone explain?

So pipe from crankcase to catch can then from the catch can to the intake or if not to the intake a small filter is has the same effect?