Alternative to new vRS

The new vRS seems to be getting mixed reviews at least from forum members.

Many seem disappointed at the price and the fact that it is not a diesel.

Is there a getter alternative out there and if so what is it?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new vRS seems to be getting mixed reviews at least from forum members.

Many seem disappointed at the price and the fact that it is not a diesel.

Is there a getter alternative out there and if so what is it?

People don't like change. What seems to go un noticed in a lot of this is on paper it's combined consumption figure is nearly on a par with the Mk1 and it's well over a second quicker 0-60. Combine that with generally cheaper fuel and your really onto a winner ;)

There are plenty of alternatives in the small diesel hatch market. Most manufacturers do one now.

People don't like change. What seems to go un noticed in a lot of this is on paper it's combined consumption figure is nearly on a par with the Mk1 and it's well over a second quicker 0-60. Combine that with generally cheaper fuel and your really onto a winner ;)

There are plenty of alternatives in the small diesel hatch market. Most manufacturers do one now.

Sorry but i dont mean to step on toes here but this is all on paper atm.

I am not afraid of change but i feel that the MKII wil not pull anywhere close to the MPG of the MKI. (esp on long motorway journys)

The theory is put a small engine in it only uses a small amount of fuel (when driven correctly)

The problem is if you want the big power you are going to Kill that fantastc MPG.

I have a friend who has the TSI in a new rocco. It is a fantastic little engine! fast as f**k! but he has has 2 turbos in 2 years, and drinks fuel like like an irishman drinks guinness on st paddys day. (he drives it briskly)

i have my Mk1 Furby which has the 1.9 TDI (big engine nowadays) and i get better MPG than him when booting it...........

Small engine + big power = more strain = more fuel

Big engine + Big power = easy = fair MPG

If you really do like it and way a little pocket rocket and the price oil is like sailing on the sea (like you dont have a car in the world) 'see what i did there ;) ' then its is a brilliant little car!

So yes if it is the Fabia Vrs mkII you want and can justify it then go for it. but if you are sceptical then look a little harder.

after test driveing one IMO the engine is to small quick yes but not on a pare with my remaped MK1 the fact its not a derv doesnt bother me but the fact they have managed to get 180bhp out of a 1.4 is bothering me that must be near its max and how long will it take for stuff to start going bang ? a 1.6 would have been much better IMO

after test driveing one IMO the engine is to small quick yes but not on a pare with my remaped MK1 the fact its not a derv doesnt bother me but the fact they have managed to get 180bhp out of a 1.4 is bothering me that must be near its max and how long will it take for stuff to start going bang ? a 1.6 would have been much better IMO

I have driven both remapped mk1 Fabia vrs cars and the new vrs and the new car would **** all over the mk1 in my opinion. A true comparison on performance would be either 2 standard cars or 2 remapped cars. Comparing a standard car to a remapped one! Not a true or fair comparision.

Suzuki Swift

Alfa Mito (diesels available)

Seat Ibiza, same but pretty

Abarth Punto Evo out in a week or 2 (same price) but better styling

Abarth 500, around 3K cheaper & what a cracking Motor

Citroen DS3 Looks pretty funky (diesel available but low on oomph not sure on remap options) http://fwd.five.tv/cars/supermini/citroen-ds3

BMW "O" series (Mini)

Edited by Stuart_J

Sorry Decron, but I don't agree. The new vRS is supposed to run on 98RON, however only 95RON is cheaper than diesel at the moment. Therefore you are paying more at the pumps, if you want the full performance of the engine. Manufacturers 'claimed' MPG figures are all very well, but very hard to replicate in real life driving, especially if things start getting a little spirited. There are certain things I do genuinely like about the new car, however not enough for me to consider it a replacement for my original vRS. The real icing on the cake for me is I can boot mine around an airfield/track all day and still return 35mpg.

I have driven both remapped mk1 Fabia vrs cars and the new vrs and the new car would **** all over the mk1 in my opinion. A true comparison on performance would be either 2 standard cars or 2 remapped cars. Comparing a standard car to a remapped one! Not a true or fair comparision.

Revo do a map for the Ibiza Cupra, so I'm sure there will be one for the Fabia soon enough. However 210bhp or whatever it is from a 1.4 is asking a little much in my opinion. Only time will tell I guess when people start to remap and how reliable it proves to be!

It won't be anywhere near its limit. This is not taking an old engine and boosting it, it's all-new, designed specifically for forced induction.

F1 was getting 1000bhp out of turbocharged 1.5 litre engines back in the 80's. I'm sure there has been enough advancement since then to make a 180bhp 1.4 last for 20 years.

@Stuart-J I wouldn't consider the Swift Sport to be a true competitior, it's not powerful enough. Unless you compare just on fun-factor

I'll throw in the new Hyundai Coupe coming next year. 1.6 turbo, 200bhp. Sounds nice :D

Edited by Mike Wrightson

The new Ibiza fr uses the 2 litre cr140 engine, not a massive fan of the new vrs and after having a 1.4 and discovering my Clio 182 was cheaper to run regardless of how it was driven. I stick by the bigger engine cheaper to run scenario, except my Corsa 1 litre, that actually gets better mpg than my fabia around town but motorway th vrs averages 60mpg all day long

If I don't get a mk2 focus RS next I'll be looking at the Ibiza fr diesel

Annnnnnd here come the fanbois......

I think the new car will surprise a lot of people that when it's driven well will return comparable MPG, all this weight and power stuff is usually a red herring. Explain how the 200bhp 1600kg Saab 93 i current drive can give me 50mpg on a run.....?

Different dymnamics and different technology means different results and you can't compare anything except the bottom line. Give it six months and see how a few come across in the real world.

Probably how this should be worked is if you want a small diesel hatch with resonable performance get the Mk1, if you want something with a bit more fire in it get the mk2

Edited by Decron

It was honestly faster than I thought it was going to be, I like DSG so the no manual saga wouldn't bother me.

The fact that you can buy it as an Estate adds to the LOLfactor to me anyway.

It looks pretty funky, although I admit they could have done more to make it more exciting to look at but I for one prefer a type of Q-car fast car than a silly Impreza TypeR Evo STI WRX loud thing.

I'd be interested to know how many MkI vRS Fabias where sold in it's first 12 months of production and see how things pan out for the MK2, bearing in mind Skoda has grown considerably since 2003 with a much larger customer base than ever before.

If you one a brand new small diesel hatch, there is still the Mk5 SEAT Ibiza FR TDI. It has a 2.0l Common Rail 140BHP diesel engine.

Erm, how about an Octavia vRS as an alternative? More space and pace for similar money. It's a no brainer in my book. Better quality interior too. I sat in the Fabia II vRS at the weekend and found the interior no more special than the bread and butter models and interior plastics akin to those that you find in a box of chocolates.

Erm, how about an Octavia vRS as an alternative? More space and pace for similar money. It's a no brainer in my book. Better quality interior too. I sat in the Fabia II vRS at the weekend and found the interior no more special than the bread and butter models and interior plastics akin to those that you find in a box of chocolates.

Couldnt agree more there is plenty of ex demo's on the market for wonderful prices. Plus for me the 170 CR TDI engine will be an animal, cant wait to get my mits around the wheel and part with more £££££'S

Couldnt agree more there is plenty of ex demo's on the market for wonderful prices. Plus for me the 170 CR TDI engine will be an animal, cant wait to get my mits around the wheel and part with more £££££'S

You wouldn't have to settle for ex demo Octy vRS's, TorqueX. DTD are listing the 2 litre petrol at £15.6k brand new, making it cheaper than the Fabia II vRS, and that's before you've added niceties such as climatic air conditioning, cruise control, front armrest and electric rear windows to the Fabia which the Octy already comes as standard with. Who are Skoda trying to kid with the pricing of the Fabia?!?

Anyone tried the Mitsubishi Colt Ralliart?

They aren't too bad TBH , not on a par interior quality wise with VAG cars , but £12K , 147 bhp and turbocharged. There is scope for uprating them too , as the (same car underneath) Smart forfour Brabus came with 180 bhp - same engine , same basic car , both built at Born , Nederland.