THE Winter Tyres Thread

Niall

Guest BigJase88

That's the appropriate point IMHO 'OLD STOCK' i.e. tyres may well have been manufactured last year (or before).

I'd wait until September by which time this summer's production will be filtering through to dealers which means that you will get 'fresh rubber'.

Guy

Tyres have a 5 year lifespan (well thats whats recommended)

I've used a 7 year old set without issue

Tyres have a 5 year lifespan (well thats whats recommended)

I've used a 7 year old set without issue

I have purchased brand new tyres which were 5 years old. It's closer to 20 years in good conditions or 10 in poor that you will find age related problems.

Edited by Kiwibacon

• 2 weeks later...

Got my wheels and jack set from Skodaparts aka Bickerton Skoda in Sheffield. Very helpful over the phone.

Got the tyres from oponeo. The Nokians were excellent in the snow but also in just plain old cold and damp weather.

Edited by Yearofthegoat

Anyone know what size rims will be required to fit over the front discs on the new octavia 3 vrs they are larger than the discs on my vrs and I don't think my 16 inch winter wheels will fit.Does anyone know for certain

All the places that I've recently tried have quoted a 10 day lead time. They obviously don't cater for people who like to be prepared!

I know Worksop quite well but I'd be surprised if it was snowing in a fortnight!

The wheels etc. from skodaparts were delivered in two days.  The tyres took roughly 4 days to arrive from Germany (IIRC), so not really a very long wait.  Have you got a slot off work or something set aside to fit them?

Havent tried anywhere yet lol thinking about getting a set of winter wheels for the vrs when it arrives (build week 37 hopefully) and never bought new wheels before so trying to find where to start lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope. Mytyres.co.uk. Shipped from Germany, TUV approved, alloy or steel wheels fitted with tyres and the best deal you'll find anywhere. Its an insurance essential there, and you can be sure to get exactly the right wheel rim size, offset, bolts to fit them, etc.

Edited by Big S

I bought a set of steel wheels with tyres from Mytyres a couple of years ago,  Best price I could find by a long way.

Anyone been keeping an eye on winter tyre prices?  I'm going to need  a couple of new ones this year but not sure if it's best to buy them now before the rush or wait until the dealers get some stock in.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Sorry, still finding my way around the site, posted this here

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/293286-winter-tyres-best-option-and-where-from/

Hi,

Got some good advice on another thread and have bought 4 x 16 inch authentic alloys. Now for the tyre.

Budget is around £80 a tyre, if I can keep to that happy, less even happier. I have read so many threads here on this topic and its bizarre that there does not seem to be one preference? Are the Avons on Camskill any good, also interested in mileage expected, had ATR's on a previous car and was getting 40k+ miles.

Optiosn to buy from look like http://www.camskill.co.uk or abroad from http://www.reifen.com/en ?

Type of trye I need is  205/55 R 16 94V-XL

Thoughts welcome

See my thread about Oponeo. (My ATS wheels eventually turned up just after lunchtime, 15 days after they were ordered instead of the 4-5 days they should have been delivered in.)

I've just bought some Continental WInterContact TS 850's (225/45 R17) 94H XL as they were cheaper on mytyres than on Oponeo, (who also forfeited the £550 order for their incompetence with the wheel order) I went for the slightly higher load index because every so often I have to do load lugging, so got them just in case.

I was going to go for the V rated one's but the chances of me doing anything near 100 mph in wintry conditions are a big fat zero.

Got 4 juicy Vredestein Wintrac Extreme waiting in the garage on the winter wheels for the snow to arrive. Will be interested to see how the new Superb Outdoor 4x4 deals with the Winter! :)