Audi coilpack recall, turned into official Skoda Recall.

cardiffblue.... griffin mill gave us pants service with a renault we had (failed to collect us once, in for a day to be told come back as parts needed, never any parts in stock), spoke to the guys at capitol skoda in newport (see the dealer feedback for both garages) so am booked in there for Friday... will advise how it goes

Got new coil packs fitted this morning at Chathams Edinburgh,was in for 1/2 hour job done,did feel smoother on the way home. :thumbup:

Speaking of coilpacks, my mate from work's car broke down the other day, I diagnosed it as a copilpack (Clio 1.4). Got the RAC out, and while he was fixing it, he was asking me about my car. He was going on about 1.8t coilpack failures and asked me if I had had them done, even told me there was a recall on at Skoda so I could get them for free! Seemed quite surprised that I knew about it :D

Guess he's read Briskoda then.

what an absolute usless bunch my place are, called up got the car booked in.

wife takes the car in, sorry its not booked in, cue an argument and the car gets the slot which it was meant to have, no problem, sit about for a 3 hour wait to find out they didnt do anything as they didnt have any parts in stock and didnt bother to tell her = a most angry wife and a very unhappy owner, i think a complaint will be written, oh to top it off they said only two coils need swapping, when i checked the day before and they are all L models and they also broke two coil connecting couplers just top it off.

:@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@

cardiffblue.... griffin mill gave us pants service with a renault we had (failed to collect us once, in for a day to be told come back as parts needed, never any parts in stock), spoke to the guys at capitol skoda in newport (see the dealer feedback for both garages) so am booked in there for Friday... will advise how it goes

eezeeweb, thanks for your info and expeirences with Griffin mill, to be honest i have never had a problem with them and the staff at the service and parts have always been great with me, i'm in the trade and hear a lot of comments of all main dealers no one will be happy with every garage that they go to.

also i dont think any main dealer would have a all the parts stock for every vehicle/model or make.

glad that capitol skoda in newport have helped you.

I can't see why the dealers won't let you have your old coils back, I work at an Audi dealership and when we replace coils on this recall the old ones go in the bin. Audi UK don't want them back so I don't see why Skoda would.

I can't see why the dealers won't let you have your old coils back, I work at an Audi dealership and when we replace coils on this recall the old ones go in the bin. Audi UK don't want them back so I don't see why Skoda would.

I asked them about this, and they said they need to keep them for 6 months and Skoda UK can request them back at any time during that point.

After that, they get put in the bin.

Also, I imagine SUK want to stop them being re-fitted in other cars to get some free coils.

Progress Skoda in Bedford replaced mine. I queried whether or not the new coil packs came with a guarantee and was told that they were covered for 2 years. :)

I just phoned a Skoda dealer in Kent (as it’s the closet to where I live) and was told there is a recall for the coil packs and another one for a software update.

I am not to keen on the software update as my car is mapped, would this overwrite the map and put it back to standard?

I didn’t book the car in anyway as they said they do not do recall or warranty work on a Saturday and I work Monday - Friday and they said I would need to book 2 days off work (one for them to look at it and another to go back and do the work!!).

Can I request not to have that done and just the coil packs replaced? Just wondered before I ring round and find a dealer that does recall/warranty work on a Saturday!! lol

Just had mine done.

Dropped the car down over lunch, and collected it 2hrs later.

4 new shiny coilpacks, a wash and a Skoda air-freshner!

Zero miles added to the odometer, so they haven't driven it, which is fine by me. I haven't driven it far yet, so can't confirm the map is still there, but there was no mention of any software upgrades from them so I presume the ECU is untouched.

To be honest I'm very happy with the service. It's nice getting handed a big bill, that's FOC!

upon booking an appointment i was asked if i have replaced any coil packs because if so - they wont be replaced. just remembered that still have faulty one in my boot, said NO. before going there, swapped my BOSCH coil pack with a faulty L revision and brought my car. i was told it's gonna take 1 hour, but because mechanic brought my car next to window (so i can see what's he doing) it took 15mins in total :D got all for replaced.

as for flashing ECU - not true. saw mechanic taking something that looks like a screwdriver/cable tester and spending ~1min by the port, so pretty sure he just cleared the codes in a magic way (by bridging contacts i guess) :)

p.s. got D revision

I just phoned a Skoda dealer in Kent (as it’s the closet to where I live) and was told there is a recall for the coil packs and another one for a software update.

I am not to keen on the software update as my car is mapped, would this overwrite the map and put it back to standard?

I didn’t book the car in anyway as they said they do not do recall or warranty work on a Saturday and I work Monday - Friday and they said I would need to book 2 days off work (one for them to look at it and another to go back and do the work!!).

Can I request not to have that done and just the coil packs replaced? Just wondered before I ring round and find a dealer that does recall/warranty work on a Saturday!! lol

My car is mapped too, just take to a dealer that can do on a sat ,tell them to clear any fault codes but not to flash your ecu . My car still had map after :thumbup:

My car is mapped too, just take to a dealer that can do on a sat ,tell them to clear any fault codes but not to flash your ecu . My car still had map after :thumbup:

Thanks, that's what I thought. I will try and find one anywhere near that will do it on a Saturday :thumbup: