VRS Burning oil

James I

whats the best oil to use for these cars? couldn't find anything in the handbook, something like castrol edge 5w-30? sorry, may sound like a silly question

My email from castrol confirmed as long as it's VW 502 00 it's fine. I've been using Castrol Edge 5w-30 but if I had oil issues I think i'd go for the 5w-40 personally.

Can you share your evidence with us please, as I am using the recommended Castrol Edge 5W 30?

Tony

Evidence ? Didn't realise I was in court ?

Thought this was a forum which has opinions from everyone.

I've used Mobil oil for 25 years and always will.

It meets & exceeds the required spec.

If you want to use Castrol, go ahead. Skoda 'recommend' it because they're getting paid to do so.

Evidence ? Didn't realise I was in court ?

Thought this was a forum which has opinions from everyone.

I've used Mobil oil for 25 years and always will.

If you want to use Castrol, go ahead. Skoda 'recommend' it because they're getting paid to do so.

My oil usage is about 600ml per 1000 miles, so within spec. But im going to give Mobil 1 New Life 0W/40 oil ago, see if it can reduce oil usage.

Small point but rather important IMO,

anyone with a vRS using oil should maybe look closer at the handbook and the correct level to check on the dipstick,

it is not to the very top of the cross hatched section. Do not overfill when topping up.

My vRS was using a bit of Castrol Edge 5W-30 untill it had done 7000 miles,

using none now and the MPG is quite a bit improved.

george

Small point but rather important IMO,

anyone with a vRS using oil should maybe look closer at the handbook and the correct level to check on the dipstick,

it is not to the very top of the cross hatched section. Do not overfill when topping up.

My vRS was using a bit of Castrol Edge 5W-30 untill it had done 7000 miles,

using none now and the MPG is quite a bit improved.

george

Mine's similar.

Just on 5.5k and it's using considerably less oil.

• 2 months later...

This is still a hot topic and I find it interesting reading too.

In my case Skoda dealer has now agreed to take the car in for the two weeks when I am away in August, they will do the oil consumption test and then replace the oil control rings.

VAG have a different set of rings in the 1.4 tfsi engine now and are replacing the older style rings that allow all your oil to escape for those who want a repair.

I find it a bit alarming that VAG know there is an issue with engines fitted with the old style rings yet they do not do a recall, I am certain they know by looking at manufacture dates and chassis/engine numbers what cars need the repair work doing so why make the customer go through all the pain of oil consumption tests and the like when they can cross check numbers and say yes your car burns oil!

On a lighter note, I am a little concerned that when the work is done my mpg will drop from 42mpg average........

So I have from now until August to decide if I give the car back or allow a dealership fitter to re build my engine, what would you do?

Talk it through with Skoda not the dealer.

(they will be doing the work but getting paid for it.

I think that the Replacement engine earns them less than the Re-build. (someone can possibly confirm or poo poo my thoughts on that)

Suggest to them 'SKODA' that they stop taking the pith and get your new engine ordered up ready for installing at your convience if it has been checked that your engine is one of the potentially faulty ones.

george

• 2 weeks later...

Just topped mine up with approx 250ml to the just before end of the B section I've got over 1200 miles on the clock and driven hard on a regular basis when having fun on country roads at the weekend and the occasional dual carriageway blast. I appreciate it's normal for a new car to burn more oil (as it says in the handbook) so it's not really worrying me at the moment. I've been checking the dipstick every 2 weeks when it's up to temp and it's been dropping slowly. Checked at lunch today and it was just near the end of the B section so thought it was worth topping up.

The top up kit was really useful, but has now been rendered useless as the oil has seeped through the funnel. Can these kits be bought seperately i.e. the gloves, paper towels and funnel?

Why do you need gloves and a funnel?

The paper towels yes...

Just open the bonnet, check it and pour some in, don't waste time with funnels lol

The harder you drive the more they will use anyway as its twin-charged and both super and turbo charger use oil?

I have known of one that had excessive oil consumption and upon carrying out a certain test to measure the oil consumption it was found to be too high and Skoda actually gave the go ahead on a new engine rather than new rings. Just thought I'd share my experience!

Almal,

Welcome to the forum.

If you look back through just the past few pages you will find several threads on the subject and owners getting poor customer service and just supplied with oil,

and others having had engine re-builds, other getting new engines or Replaced vehicles.

eg

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/237661-oil-consumption-update

george

Edited by sk4gw

Worth noting , well JIMO,

'Running cars in',

in the last decade or so is less about running in the engine, many cars get a PDI then are not due back in for a service or oil change for 12 months,

cars like Lexus do not get an oil change to 120,000 miles.

Running in is still to my mind and firstly,

'The Brakes' pads, discs and even hand brake cables that can be tight or have coatings that take a few 1000 miles to loosen off.

Drive trains can benefit from getting 'Run In', wheel bearings etc,

Tyres that are Brand New are best scrubbed off at least for a few miles, rather than taken straight out and given some welly.

Big difference between driving a Company or Lease car & one you want from new as a 'Keeper' IMO.

I have bought Ex Demo's that are good and some that are just total cr4p from being ragged from day one.

Bought Used from Private Owners that are they same.

What i never want is a 'Delivery Driver' car that has just been tanned 450 miles up the Motorway from brand new.

But then you never know if that is the car you have just bought, even if it only shows 15 or 50 miles straight from the Dealership,

you will never know possibly.

george

Just to update my had to put 300 mls in on Sunday as some has been used.

So in 16 months and 4,700 miles (had annual service of course) I have used 900 ml as top ups.

• 1 month later...

Well finally our car is going in for the new rings treatment! I am not happy about this as any engine once cracked open is never the same!

However, after speaking to SUK they assure me that if the problem persists a new engine or car is the next step in the process.

I will post again when it comes back from surgery.....