The Twins. (And Yeti RS)

BossFox

New to this place having put a deposit down on a used Yeti. A few people pointed me to this thread after finding out what my new workhorse was. Incredible stuff. 

BTW a trained monkey could pass an ARDS test, but I was still a bundle of nerves when I did mine. If you can drive on track without crashing and you know your flags your 99% of the way there. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I saw an article on Facebook about the oettinger golf r500. Seems they have also successfully done a 5pot conversion :)

Yes, they have done something quite similar to the Yeti RS.

It appears to use several of the same parts including the air intake.

Looks like JDR got there first in terms of reveal and real world use.

• Like 4

So this is what in excess of 450lb/ft can do to the syncro in an Audi TT-RS gearbox...

verD5Y.jpg

Bent 2nd gear itself as well.

Apparently it's a wonder it didn't fall apart in the box.

• Like 1

Lucky it did not come loose Richard,  all those  bits floating  about would  have been fun if they picked up and got trapped in the other gears whilst hooning around the circuit, would have been quite interesting  :no:

• Like 1

Lucky it didn't self destruct!

Maidstone meet June? Won't be ready?

I won't be there, on Airport run duties.

July will still be on GT-R Euro Tour.

The DSG driven ones with 4 Motion (Hang on 4 wheel drive) are much easier to Launch than the normal gearbox ones!

Friends have a new S3 Audi, one with DSG and one with normal gearbox.

The normal gearbox one is not easy to Launch correctly. (without burning the clutch and breaking the gearbox....)

I was looking at this feature on the Oettinger Golf 500R, which came out a month or so after the Yeti was finished.

Starts at around £150,000 euro.

http://www.boldride.com/ride/2015/oettinger-volkswagen-golf-500r#gallery/4

What I found interesting was that it makes a claimed 518bhp, against our 510bhp so not far away.

But the torque is claimed at 500lb/ft.  The Yeti was estimated at "a bit over 450".

This might explain why it ate the synchro in 2nd and chipped the cog itself pretty quickly...

I know the Oettinger had a rather larger development budget, but maybe we should put the Yeti on a Rolling Road after all as it could have a bit more torque than we were expecting.

Oettinger also claim a bhp/tonne of 283.  So it's 1,466kg.  Yeti is currently over 100kg lighter, yet they claim a 0-60mph time of 3.4 seconds! :peek:

I had one go and got 3.8 before giving up as I didn't want to kill the gearbox. :D

Makes me curious what it really can do.

Thought it would make an interesting comparison :)

The DSG driven ones with 4 Motion (Hang on 4 wheel drive) are much easier to Launch than the normal gearbox ones!

Friends have a new S3 Audi, one with DSG and one with normal gearbox.

The normal gearbox one is not easy to Launch correctly. (without burning the clutch and breaking the gearbox....)

The 500R Golf is a manual, with a quoted 0-60 of 3.4 seconds.

Yes you are right DSG is much kinder on the gearbox.

Still glad I went manual, my heel and toe is improving. :)

• Like 4

The 500R Golf is a manual, with a quoted 0-60 of 3.4 seconds.

Wow - I'd probably add 5 seconds to that with my gear change abilities :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking at this feature on the Oettinger Golf 500R, which came out a month or so after the Yeti was finished.

Starts at around £150,000 euro.

http://www.boldride.com/ride/2015/oettinger-volkswagen-golf-500r#gallery/4

What I found interesting was that it makes a claimed 518bhp, against our 510bhp so not far away.

But the torque is claimed at 500lb/ft.  The Yeti was estimated at "a bit over 450".

This might explain why it ate the synchro in 2nd and chipped the cog itself pretty quickly...

I know the Oettinger had a rather larger development budget, but maybe we should put the Yeti on a Rolling Road after all as it could have a bit more torque than we were expecting.

Oettinger also claim a bhp/tonne of 283.  So it's 1,466kg.  Yeti is currently over 100kg lighter, yet they claim a 0-60mph time of 3.4 seconds! :peek:

I had one go and got 3.8 before giving up as I didn't want to kill the gearbox. :D

Makes me curious what it really can do.

ISTR that AMD can cope with 4wd, if you are happy with their accuracy / reputation perhaps a visit might be a good idea?

A diversion on youway to work?

DC