The Twins. (And Yeti RS)

BossFox

The aim was 480bhp and 1300kg which isn't a bad weight with four wheel drive.  370bhp/tonne.

Once I went for the Loba turbo as before it was supposed to be 420bhp.

If you'll excuse the ramble...

That's because the 600bhp Yellow GT-R I had was 600bhp and 1750kg, so 340bhp/tonne but had the fancy gearbox.

So in theory should have similar pace.  The plan with the Yeti was to uplift it to similar pace as a later spec (550bhp) stock GT-R so it can play with them on track days.

My Skyline has more power (635) and more bhp/tonne (435) but both that and the Yeti should make similar amount of torque with around 450lb/ft so I don't think the Yeti will be much slower.

And the Citigo should be 450bhp and around 1,100kg so a bit smaller and lighter and with a sequential box.

All together I think all three toys won't be that far apart on pace.

However, all that said Loba claim the turbo will do 500bhp.  The 480 is a conservative figure so they don't get criticised.

But..., this engine hasn't been run in a Yeti before with custom intercooler and exhaust so until it's mapped we really won't know.

We have fitted the most mahoosive intercooler anyway as it can only help.

And the Yeti has different air openings on the front anyway to the TT-RS so we needed something custom.

I'll admit I like round figures and if it made 500bhp I'd be rather pleased.

The weight before was a little over 1,400kg with the weight reduction I'd already made....  Aim was to reduce it by a further 100kg.

If we could hit 500bhp and get the weight down a bit to 1,250kg it'd have a nice round 400bhp/tonne but I think that's an ask too far as it's not a small car.

But I knew that before I started.  It's not the type of car you expect to see up your chuff on a track day.

We'll see in a week or two. :)

Have they mentioned what torque figures are hoped for Richard?

• Like 1

Have they mentioned what torque figures are hoped for Richard?

Well, without going off on one like I did in the last post...

http://www.revotechnik.com/product-details/software/audi/tt-rs/24/stage-3

According to the TT Shop around 450 lb/ft.

APR quote more for their exhaust and remap alone.

But they said my Yeti would be 320bhp and it made 290bhp at AMD.  Which isn't know for under reading.

My clutch has been built to withstand 600 lb/ft as it was built for the project.

So I shall be able to use whatever it makes.

I had to be a bit gentle before, full power off the line in first resulted in a bit of slip and a funny smell.  Despite it being uprated.

Once into 2nd it was fine though.

• Like 2

Well, without going off on one like I did in the last post...

http://www.revotechnik.com/product-details/software/audi/tt-rs/24/stage-3

According to the TT Shop around 450 lb/ft.

APR quote more for their exhaust and remap alone.

But they said my Yeti would be 320bhp and it made 290bhp at AMD. Which isn't know for under reading.

Didn't the Yeti still have the stock tail silencers at that point though?

Didn't the Yeti still have the stock tail silencers at that point though?

Yes, but it still should have made over 300.

I trust the TT shop REVO figures more than the APR ones as they are more conservative.

• Like 3

Even on the conservative estImate figures that is going to be an absolute animal!! Can't wait to how they map it, the question now is will you be able to shift gears quick enough!!

• Like 1

Even on the conservative estImate figures that is going to be an absolute animal!! Can't wait to how they map it, the question now is will you be able to shift gears quick enough!!

The 2.5tfsi has a really wide torque powerband, even when tuned.

So it should be fine, plenty of usable revs.

One of the reasons I spent the extra over going to a 2.0tsi and tuning the knackers off it.

ioJ9ea.jpg

• Like 4

This is one project im really looking forward to seeing finished and running I have to say - lovely engine and most know what I think of the AWD Yeti... :clap:

Heat is going to be the biggest issue for you in that engine bay so its good to hear proper precautions have been taken! Best of luck with it. :)

• Like 3

Heat is going to be the biggest issue for you in that engine bay so its good to hear proper precautions have been taken! Best of luck with it. :)

Thanks. :)

From talks with the TT shop and a few American companies (there are now 700-800bhp 2.5tfsi units out there... for laggy racing applications) this engine is a seriously well designed bit of kit.

So there are issues that heavy tuning causes that this shouldn't suffer from.  Like oil feed/baffled sump, needing large oil cooler etc...  also as it runs around 350bhp stock anyway (as you know) it's actually far less of a power increase (%) that your Yeti has.  Only 40% increase.

The Loba turbo only gives it an extra 50bhp or so because it's designed to keep all the low speed drivability and lag free power/torque that they have as standard.

So with a decent intercooler it doesn't really need much special care at all.

• Like 2

Thanks. :)

From talks with the TT shop and a few American companies (there are now 700-800bhp 2.5tfsi units out there... for laggy racing applications) this engine is a seriously well designed bit of kit.

So there are issues that heavy tuning causes that this shouldn't suffer from.  Like oil feed/baffled sump, needing large oil cooler etc...  also as it runs around 350bhp stock anyway (as you know) it's actually far less of a power increase (%) that your Yeti has.  Only 40% increase.

The Loba turbo only gives it an extra 50bhp or so because it's designed to keep all the low speed drivability and lag free power/torque that they have as standard.

So with a decent intercooler it doesn't really need much special care at all.

I was probably unclear, I know the pedigree of the engine and its tuning potential but I meant specifically putting one into an engine bay like the Yeti. I've always found it tight in there with weak frontal air ram effect, especially given the frontal area it has to play with. Given the fact that when its a UK car specified with towing pack from the factory the standard fans get swapped out for higher spec ones apparently, this would lead me to suspect even Skoda seem to think its cooling ability is a little borderline as standard. The fact the manifold is just so close to the front sandwich trio of rad, ic and a/c rad on the factory setup seems to be the problem when I spoke to Shark about sorting an oil cooler and physically larger IC than the S3 one hence I'm really impressed with the ability and properly engineered solution of your guys workaround. :)

• Like 3

This is one project im really looking forward to seeing finished and running I have to say - lovely engine and most know what I think of the AWD Yeti... :clap:

I now have a horrid image in my mind of Richard having to drive it dressed only in baggy y-fronts as it's the only way he can keep cool enough to drive the thing.

Perhaps I'll give Castle Combe a miss after all.

• Like 1

I now have a horrid image in my mind of Richard having to drive it dressed only in baggy y-fronts as it's the only way he can keep cool enough to drive the thing.

Perhaps I'll give Castle Combe a miss after all.

What makes you think he doesn't anyway?

;)

• Like 1

That moment when someone asks if you want a set of bespoke stock looking Carbon Fibre doors for your Yeti...  :peek:

Three month turnaround.

Possible weight saving, 80-100kg. :sweat:

Got a bonnet to go with them? :)
  • Like 1