Briskoda.net Folding team

Neo_VR

I heard a rumour earlier about running more than one F@H client on one PC... Is this really possible' date=' as I'll do it on my older machine now as it does sod all except fold now. :)[/quote']

Its not worth having more than one client running, unless you have a multi-cpu machine. or possibly HT (altho its not reccomended)

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not worth having more than one client running, unless you have a multi-cpu machine. or possibly HT (altho its not reccomended)

Then I just need to work out how to make it quicker... wondering if having 512mb of pc100 ram might help it along marginally? As its basically not doing anything any more I'm wondering if it having more than 192mb really affects it? :o

Then I just need to work out how to make it quicker... wondering if having 512mb of pc100 ram might help it along marginally? As its basically not doing anything any more I'm wondering if it having more than 192mb really affects it? :o

Nope.. 192mb is fine, wont get any faster im afraid.

its a very cpu intensive task, so the only way to make it faster, is to get a faster cpu.... ive just added a athlon 64 running at 4300 and a P4 2.8 to the foray :D ill catch manny yet :P

192MB should be plenty to keep windows stuff cached - it doesn't use that many windows functions, but it does benefit from a little disk caching due to it's fairly frequent writes.

If you OC your CPU please be careful as this thing may heat up the floating point unit a lot more than most applications would.

Well, I could help if someone knew some cheap quick barebones PCs going - not for general use, purely folding so CPU and RAM only thing needed - no CDRW/no floppy/no 56k/no HUGE hdd/no graphics/no screens and bits, etc. ;) I need two to fill up my router. :thumbup:

Been checking out the top 1000 stats - we're up to 646th I reckon, and by the looks of the "weekly totals" we're doing compared to some of the other teams around us, we should still be climbing up the rankings. ;):thumbup: :woohoo:

Come on peeps, check out the link in my sig and join the cause. :banana:

@Dev - next thing you know you'll have a rack of the bl*dy things in your loft ;)

My big problem is the elctricity bill, hovering around 200 quid (!!!) a month - that includes electric cooker / oven and remember I have only got a two bed flat, no kids (yet ;) ) and more machines than some offices :rofl: - Gonna be dropping some PC bits into some cases I've still got, might set one to fold for you guys at some point :D

Well - I'm actively seeking two decent barebones PCs now... ;) Think I may end up trying to build a couple myself, as I want two systems that are SO barebones, I don't need 80% of the stuff that normally comes with a decent "package" PC. Like a monitor,CD R/W,DVD,huge HDD,graphics,modem.... :rofl:

For a cheap folding rig, you'd just need one of those integrated mobos, slap CPU & RAM in it. HDDs are always tricky - you can probably pick up something from ebay I suppose, I've not bothered myself :D

Remote desktop = your friend hehe :D

For a cheap folding rig' date=' you'd just need one of those integrated mobos, slap CPU & RAM in it. HDDs are always tricky - you can probably pick up something from ebay I suppose, I've not bothered myself :D

Remote desktop = your friend hehe :D[/quote']

Something I've not got the faintest idea how to start looking into obtaining. :o

Something I've not got the faintest idea how to start looking into obtaining. :o

Sounds like a job for one of the minimal Linux distributions like tomsrtbt which will boot off a floppy and run in RAMdisk. No need for a hard disk at all, if you're only runninmg F@H.

There would be issues with writing checkpoints (if you shut down, your checkpoint will be lost because it's in RAM), but this could be easily overcome by putting your home directory on a floppy disk.

Sounds like a job for one of the minimal Linux distributions like tomsrtbt which will boot off a floppy and run in RAMdisk. No need for a hard disk at all' date=' if you're only runninmg F@H.

There would be issues with writing checkpoints (if you shut down, your checkpoint will be lost because it's in RAM), but this could be easily overcome by putting your home directory on a floppy disk.[/quote']

:confused: :rofl: Sorry, lost me Mike. I think get the point though - for Linux to run it doesn't need as much gear as windows. :thumbup:

Nice thought, but I wouldn't know how to start thinking about adding stuff to a board like that. :o What goes where, whats compatible with what...?

However, I've reached a milestone - passed 1000 points this evening as my dated Athlon 750 completed a WU it had been crunching for what seems like an eternity - It was rewarded by being given a 2500 frame WU which will take frickin' ages! :(

I need more processing POWER! mwahhahhahaha! :evil:

Looking at the top 1000 stats (link = http://statsman.info/folding2stats/html/index.html ) - It seems the weekly briskoda total (position 631 at the moment) is eceeding that of MANY of the teams inside the top 200. Nothing stopping the climb IMO, and getting right up there. Although I doubt we'll reach the level of HardOCP any time soon. :rolleyes:

Looking at the top 1000 stats (link = [url=http://statsman.info/folding2stats/html/index.html]http://statsman.info/folding2stats/html/index.html[/url'] ) - It seems the weekly briskoda total (position 631 at the moment) is eceeding that of MANY of the teams inside the top 200. Nothing stopping the climb IMO, and getting right up there. Although I doubt we'll reach the level of HardOCP any time soon. :rolleyes:

It seems we may have levveled out for our current processing power... we were 635 before, now 634.... WE NEED MORE POWWAAAAAA

It seems we may have levveled out for our current processing power... we were 635 before, now 634.... WE NEED MORE POWWAAAAAA

There'll shortly be a 2.8gig P4 laptop added to the power! ;):rofl:

And if anyone can help me with a decent processor & RAM inside a case with no other "ancillaries" ;) Please shout - preferably running XP if possible. I'm loving this O.S compared to win98...

Also, when you get a new PC with XP, does it normally come with XP software you can install on to another PC - such as my dated Athlon 750? :confused:

edit: Even if it does level out, the rate we're folding, is way above 95% of our surroudning competitors, so the climb up the rankings will continue. :thumbup:

It would not be legal to use a single license of XP (any flavour) on a second machine. On your second question, your Athlon 750 should run XP fine ;)

:thumbup: I thought it might. ;) Been busy transferring files from its D: drive onto my new PC so I can give it a fresh install sometime soon. :thumbup: Just wanted to know about the software that usually comes with laptops and "other" uses for it.

My PCs aren't folding this week, while I'm away from home.

Next week I'll be building a new 2GHz Athlon PC to replace my old 167MHz (well, I did say it was old ;) ) "second" PC. That should increase my contribution a bit :)

My PCs aren't folding this week' date=' while I'm away from home.

Next week I'll be building a new 2GHz Athlon PC to replace my old 167MHz (well, I did say it was old ;) ) "second" PC. That should increase my contribution a bit :)[/quote']

:cool: I've got someone on the cause to build me a couple of decent barebones. I'm scared of trying it myself. :rofl:

Only 253? :P Better start getting a bank loan for all the PCs then?! :rofl:

As an aside, I see from the rankings the team is currently #600 out of 37000+ and our daily rate is still exceeding that of most of our surrounding competitors, and only 68 places behind MAX POWER :evil: :D

And as from Monday, there'll be a 32nd active processor working on the team effort - my new 2.8ghz laptop. :cool: Still...

[scottish accent] NEED MORE POWER!! [/scottish accent]