CitiGo-Go, a Citigo with more Go.

BossFox

Will the cage be nicely hidden from outside?

That's the plan.

It doesn't cross any windows.

Plus we may source Skoda "sunset glass" for the back as several Citigos have.

Hi Richard

looking at the cage, there will be a large "soft spot" on the sides, exactly where the driver and eventually co-pilot will be. 

Although it will mess the original looks, wouldnt it be safer to put a cross (maybe detachable for track use) where the doors are?

This will also help the rigidity of the shell.

Merry Christmas and a safe and fast 2014 to all!

It has (or rather, will have) bars along the tops of the doors that go down the A post and the lower bars that overlap the rear edge of the doors where I'll be (I sit quite far back).

The standard doors are therefore braced at the top and bottom and have their own crash beams in them too.

The shell is also braced by both the top and bottom bars that all go from the rear suspension mounts right through to the front suspension mounts.

Driver and passenger will also be in pretty strong Carbon Fibre bucket seats with reasonably high sides mounted to the cage.

You think it needs more?

I figured that would be OK, because you're most likely to hit something fairly flat.

Plus to help weight distribution and because of being over six foot tall the seats will be quite far back too.

If you hit something sharp that can penetrate the car it'll just come through the window anyway I'd have though?

I dont know, but for safety reasons I would like to have a crossmember where the door is. In case you get T-boned by another car (just in case).

I dont rate the Crash beam in the door too much.

In the 90s we had 964 Cup cars which only had a bar from upper b-post to under at the a-post. The 993 (Porsche) Cup car had a cross.

It made the car more rigid and added a lot to the safety Point of view.

Maybe there is a possibility to make a cross bar which you could install on trackdays.

I suspect there's a big trade of here between structural rigidity (to allow the body shell to cope with the increased power and maintain the shape of the passenger compartment in a major crunch) vs optimal safety structures (where the car will deform in a predictable and controlled way to allow the occupants gradually rather than abruptly).

The n-cap rating of the citigo is 5 star anyway, and the side impact test provided good and adequate protection, so anymore must be a bonus. And with Richard sitting a fairway back, the b-post hoop should provide protection.

No it is not a race car.

But safety is important.

I hope the Citigo will always stay in one piece, so it could be driven without a cage.

Talking about safety afterwards is always too late.

It needs a cage to stop it twisting the shell under acceleration. :D

For me it's a happy medium, there needs to be a place between driving a mobile cage wearing a suit of armour and just driving a car with it's normal protection, which most of us do.

The GT-R is as fast (maybe faster) and I always drove that in it's normal road car spec.

A bit more protection is nice, bonus here is it actually makes the car stiffer and is needed.

But A happy medium has to be found IMO.

It's a track day toy, not a time attack car.

So it depends how far you need to take it.

• Like 1