Dan's GTB1756 Powered Fabia VRS

DanHam

GTB1756 is amazing! Thanks so much to Kev for the fitting whilst I watched and did little bits here and there! Already feels so much better and it's not correctly mapped yet!

Pics and more info tomorrow but now I am off to bed!

How good is it compared to a Hybrid PD150? I'm wondering which way to go with mine! When's it getting mapped in properly?

So yesterday was the big turbo fitting day with Coskev!

Managed to snap a few pictures throughout the day when hands weren't greasy!

Piper down pipe eventually arrived 9 days after ordering!

2DDE43C4-7012-45BE-A6CC-46912F5EE993_zps

Ball ache to unwrap!

827FDBB3-BF40-4350-88A3-44EB526A892A_zps

Pleased with it but the reducer of the 90* just before the flange is stupid. Anyway there was enough clearance so that section could be cut off and made more sense as the flange was a little larger than 2.5" anyway.

A68D625E-62C5-4680-80B1-001BAC4AA25D_zps

After I stupidly touched the down pipe after Kev welded it it was a good idea to cool it down ;)

8EBCD324-F92A-498D-A907-F956BA8CA6BF_zps

Inlet manifold was disgusting! Oven cleaner removed most of it while we got on with some other bits and bobs. Didn't manage to get it 100% clean but I'm hoping to find a spare one to buy to have powder coated along with a TIP aswell.

D3BA23E2-C30E-49E7-82BE-BF2D5A37C887_zps

Picture just shows where the turbo housing was cut and welded (by Kevs mate) to ensure we didn't need to faff about with boost pipes.

5E644E15-A148-4EEE-97C1-D111DC9C6911_zps

700070C3-0BEE-4391-AF06-A5ED5036D2BA_zps

Side by side with the old pd150 hybrid.

A1023EE1-9AAC-401E-8940-6E64512D853B_zps

And on the car!

Actuator was a bit awkward to adjust with the heat! But Kevs guess was great and luckily it was pretty much bang on after the first adjustment!

For those who are wondering if it's better than a hybrid - definitely! Pulls harder and for longer! Even my girlfriend commented on how much harder it pulls at higher speeds. It's only a 1.8 something bar map for now one of Kevs first maps when he first had his done. I'm not in any rush to get it mapped running more boost yet as I'll quickly get used to it!

Any way massive thank you to Kev for fitting the turbo as I had no idea but wasn't as hard as I was expecting, just a little bit fiddly but if you have the correct tools it's not so bad!

• Like 4

Nice one Dan :)

Should make the next track session a little more interesting :D

Thanks Joel, will have a bit more go than the last track session for sure :)

Looks stunning Dan I want your car and glad you got the turbo done. What's the difference between the one you got and the 2260??

Thanks mate :) basically the 2260 refers to the wheels in the turbo, I've got the 1756 so it's slightly smaller.

Good job both of you. who's mapping it for you??

Do you think its worth re-welding the outlet pipe to make it easier and not as close to the driveshaft?

It was mostly Kev really! He's very handy with a spanner! Dirty Torque were going to be mapping but I hadn't realised Kev has paid Fabooka for the file transfer service mapping so it will be getting done sooner rather than later!! Kev needs to sort my bill so I know how much to pay him for everything :)

For the sake of £20 it's well worth it in my eyes.

No probs Dan :)

As you say the shorter actuator bar fitted to yours was a pain to adjust compared to the longer one on mine,also took us abit longer due to your EGR not being fully deleted ;)

Do you think its worth re-welding the outlet pipe to make it easier and not as close to the driveshaft? 

If your good at planning out the pipework in your mind,or don't mind having the car off the road after you fit the turbo to order pipes that will work with standard GTB outlet you could do that.

The reason I like them chopped and welded is you know you only need a 90 degree silicone pipe to mate it upto your existing pipework and it then runs where the standard pipes do so you know you have no clearance issues etc :)

EGR was a pain, but saved weight and more room behind there now ;)

Also forgot to mention we had to make a new EGR delete gasket as the standard one had died!

Have to drop the car back off with you to get the full map sorted ;)

Dan, you're really not helping me wanting to sell my car!!!

Reading this makes me so tempted to keep it and do this!

Haha! Keep it and go for the 2260 on cast manifold! This 1756 is amazing! Just driven through Mold and turbo noises turning heads all over the place!! :D

Does the title now need changing from hybrid to GTB? :)

That's a good point :P

Haha! Keep it and go for the 2260 on cast manifold! This 1756 is amazing! Just driven through Mold and turbo noises turning heads all over the place!! :D

That's a good point :p

Trust me Dan, I am very tempted to! Only problem is the amount of cash I'd be spending on the thing, as it'd need a LSD...

When are you going to take me out for a blast in the new beast then?! So I can compare to the hybrid.

Wahoo!! :rock:

Over the moon for you, Dan, glad it's on...I can stop looking over my shoulders now :D

Thanks mate, I'm glad it's finally sorted! How's yours going?

Great posts and info.

Thanks Richard! :)

Trust me Dan, I am very tempted to! Only problem is the amount of cash I'd be spending on the thing, as it'd need a LSD...

When are you going to take me out for a blast in the new beast then?! So I can compare to the hybrid.

Mine grips quite well already! I would like an LSD at some point though! Your handy with a spanner could easily fit it yourself!

You can take it for a drive yourself! Will make a change to be driven about rather than me do the driving :)

• Like 1

Apologies for asking, but as it's a 31 page thread...

What supporting mods are you running?

I was wondering if a well mapped GTB1756 really needs all the stuff high power cars do.

The stock intercooler is supposed to be good for 230bhp and the stock clutch will hold too if mapped nice and smoothly.

Personally I think the Fabia handles around 200-220bhp quite well as a Front Wheel Drive car.

People always want more, not that they can use it often, but this seems like a very good package.

I was wondering if a well mapped GTB1756 really needs all the stuff high power cars do.

The stock intercooler is supposed to be good for 230bhp and the stock clutch will hold too if mapped nice and smoothly.

Personally I think the Fabia handles around 200-220bhp quite well as a Front Wheel Drive car.

People always want more, not that they can use it often, but this seems like a very good package.

No problem,

I'm running a Seat Sport FMIC, with my own pipe work kit.

Exhaust wise it's a full piper exhaust system. Currently no silencers but having a box fitted now it's all sorted.

Got a Jetex cone filter as they seem to flow more air than standard airbox. I've heard a couple of people who were struggling for air while using the standard airbox with the 1756s.

Helix clutch and SMF.

Then the usual AP coilovers, Whiteline RARB, 312mm front brakes, 256mm rear brakes etc.

I do plan to go for an LSD at some point as Kevs is amazing but I don't see it as a necessity at the moment.

• Like 1

No problem,

I'm running a Seat Sport FMIC, with my own pipe work kit.

Exhaust wise it's a full piper exhaust system. Currently no silencers but having a box fitted now it's all sorted.

Got a Jetex cone filter as they seem to flow more air than standard airbox. I've heard a couple of people who were struggling for air while using the standard airbox with the 1756s.

Helix clutch and SMF.

Then the usual AP coilovers, Whiteline RARB, 312mm front brakes, 256mm rear brakes etc.

I do plan to go for an LSD at some point as Kevs is amazing but I don't see it as a necessity at the moment.

Got a good balanced set up with nice upgrades already then.

I had a Quaife LSD in mine and have seen how the Wavetrac performs.

If buying now I'd personally only go for a Wavetrac.  Great product.

Got a good balanced set up with nice upgrades already then.

I had a Quaife LSD in mine and have seen how the Wavetrac performs.

If buying now I'd personally only go for a Wavetrac. Great product.

Thank you, I think a few poly bushes are needed soon just unsure how to fit them myself.

Wavetrac is getting many good reviews, should have done it same time as the clutch really but already took a major hit buying the clutch, but I did run the hybrid for a while on the standard clutch then one day it began to slip, I probably could have been gentle and it may still have been ok now but I didn't want to end up stranded one day so that's why I had it changed ASAP :)

• Like 1

The stock inter cooler may be ok for 230, but will quickly suffer heat soak after a few full throttle runs
  • Like 2

Mine grips quite well already! I would like an LSD at some point though! Your handy with a spanner could easily fit it yourself!

You can take it for a drive yourself! Will make a change to be driven about rather than me do the driving :)

I definitely wouldn't be fitting a LSD myself that's for sure!

Thanks Dan that's much appreciated :)  At least I can have someone to blame if I end up keeping mine ha ha! If I do end up keeping it then things will be up for some big change. Still not sold on it at present though...

I can't comment on the GTB, but I can testify that the standard clutch holds perfectly fine on mine, which is a PD150 hybrid running about 220bhp when my exhaust & cooler was fitted. Plus I don't faff around with all this 'don't boot it in 6th gear at low revs' malarkey. It's there to be driven! I think the very good Shark map has helped as well, as the curve is very smooth.

Also, people seem to be of the mindset that the standard intercooler is rubbish even at stage 1. Personally I've never had any problems apart from a little bit of heat soak after sitting in traffic. Since the car was mapped to 220bhp, I've removed the intercooler. I was expecting to have to change the map to a lower powered one without it, but in all honesty I've not had any problems at all - not put it into limp mode once, and it's virtually as quick! I do multiple blasts in it at times too.

• Like 2

It's worth noting that I was previously running a Forge FMIC setup, and at the CC Tuning RR day the car heatsoaked on the rollers (along with others!). If I do end up keeping the car then an Airtec kit will be going on it - much thicker core.

• Like 1