Hi,

You mentioned adjusting the dipped beam height with adjustment screws. I'd be interested to see what you do with the lights as they're quite poor in my opinion. I did come from a BM with active xenons though so didn't expect too much.

Congrats on the purchase!!!

Interesting running-in regime and in line with your comments on other threads, sadly with a sample size of 1 it will not be enough to draw any conclusions for oil use vs running in, but hope that it gives you the result you want.

Not sure how I am going to treat mine yet when collecting on thurs, can see the logic in what you are doing, but some good high revs/thrash when oli is up to temperature to put the engine through some decent heat cycles as well as the bore pressures may not do any harm.......

Enjoy dude!

Andy

Looks great Jabo! :happy:

Similar to you Woodster.. I will hopefully be picking mine up around the first week of December if not a touch earlier and after reading this this thread and others unsure how to approach the running-in process. Either or these ideas do seem very logical and hope they produce a decent end result!

Thanks guys for your good words!

I a, really happy with the car and will be adding my observations as gather experiences along the way and start noticing different things along the way - just did an edit btw

Must feel like a Ferrari coming from a Lupo!

Funny enough Lupo has marginally more bhp per tonne than vRS! So the shove in the back is stronger but last for a very short time as poor old 3-pot oil chugger runs out of steam very quickly. vRS just keeps going and I haven't even broken 4k rpm yet lol

Can't wait till you get intercooler mod all set up!!

Car looks brilliant! Needs lowering as you mentioned!

First I need to finish that pesky en-suite wet room bathroom... I bl00dy hate DIY after years of doing it, including a two storey house extension...

Hi,

You mentioned adjusting the dipped beam height with adjustment screws. I'd be interested to see what you do with the lights as they're quite poor in my opinion. I did come from a BM with active xenons though so didn't expect too much.

Congrats on the purchase!!!

Another convert from Bayerische Mist Wagen camp (not sure about the German spelling lol)!

I was intending just to raise both beams a little to get further throw and change bulbs for much stronger ones.

Interesting running-in regime and in line with your comments on other threads, sadly with a sample size of 1 it will not be enough to draw any conclusions for oil use vs running in, but hope that it gives you the result you want.

Not sure how I am going to treat mine yet when collecting on thurs, can see the logic in what you are doing, but some good high revs/thrash when oli is up to temperature to put the engine through some decent heat cycles as well as the bore pressures may not do any harm.......

Enjoy dude!

Andy

Since you mentioned it the plan is to go through two tanks of fuel and then drive the nuts out of it with no limits, trash it as if it was stolen, roughly half way down the second tank of RON 99. Then I can start chasing mpgs :D

Edited by Jabozuma

Hope you enjoy the car mate! Sounds like you've been waiting patiently for it! Looks awesome too! And good review! I've done about 12.5k in mine now and apart from some interior rattles here and there, I love it! If someone is used to some much faster cars, they could probably find faults, but I'm pretty happy with it. Just trying to resist modifying it!

you have the dunlop tyres, thats whats wrong with the grip .... most people detest them in comparison to the other OE i.e. contis.... the dunlops really need to be warmed up, i.e hard drive on very hot dry day, to work... this time of year they will be even worse.....

I have my winters on already ;) was 1 celcius here last night! :o

nice review by the way..... not sure about your running in method... I regulaly red lined mine (14 miles was the first time! ;) ) and mine uses NO oil..... I would suggest some good heat cycles as well as your varying revs ;)

enjoy, and keep us updated on your exeriances :)

edit: by definition though, not taking it above 4.5k is NOT varying the revs ;)

Edited by sharkrider
  • Like 1

Nice review Jabo, like a few of the others I'm not sure about your running in method? I thrashed mine as soon as it got to 90 deg in temp, as the dealer advised me to do. I have no engine problems/oil usage and my VRS has done 8,500 miles.

I am running on Conti's which seem to be better than Dunlops, the Conti's are quiter, have more grip and they have a wider side wall that seems to reduce kerbing compared to the Dunlops.

Enjoy your new baby. Ron.

Hope you enjoy the car mate! Just trying to resist modifying it!

Ha, welcome to the club! At the moment, after buying it and just before X-mas as well as doing expensive home improvement at the same time I am totally skint :(

you have the dunlop tyres, thats whats wrong with the grip .... most people detest them in comparison to the other OE i.e. contis.... the dunlops really need to be warmed up, i.e hard drive on very hot dry day, to work... this time of year they will be even worse.....

I have my winters on already was 1 celcius here last night!

nice review by the way..... not sure about your running in method... I regulaly red lined mine (14 miles was the first time! ) and mine uses NO oil..... I would suggest some good heat cycles as well as your varying revs

enjoy, and keep us updated on your exeriances

edit: by definition though, not taking it above 4.5k is NOT varying the revs

Needing to sell my Lupo I put the cheapest budget tyres I could get on it when the time came in Spetember, called "Ovation" or something. Feels like driving on well oiled road, no grip in any conditions whatsoever lol.

With Dunlops on vRS I did not notice "bad" levels of grip but I suppose if I put on better rubber that it would be apparent. trust me, that time will come very soon the way I drive her :devil: . It was 0C this morning and I went fast-ish into a corner on a glistening road but wasn't fast enough to break the grip - had kiddos in the back on the school run. Mind you, they would probably enjoy it as my 5 year old daughter keeps telling me to go faster all the time lol. I wonder if this could be used as a defence when caught speeding "I am so sorry Officer, but this is not my fault, I couldn't let my daughter down and you are lucky you don't have to listen to her screaming!" B)

I agree with the revs, I will take her higher today, I promise! Just have to watch out for the plod :bandit:

Liking it. I think your car would look the nuts with the white alloys though.

You'll have to start a build thread. When do the mods start?

i agree with shark rider, staying below 4500 rpm isnt varying the revs enough IMO.

I will, early next year there will be lots going on, fingers crossed! Remap first, then springs and the supercooler in the meantime. However, there will be a first mod coming up very shortly! Should give a few bhp :p

Nice review Jabo, like a few of the others I'm not sure about your running in method? I thrashed mine as soon as it got to 90 deg in temp, as the dealer advised me to do. I have no engine problems/oil usage and my VRS has done 8,500 miles.

I am running on Conti's which seem to be better than Dunlops, the Conti's are quiter, have more grip and they have a wider side wall that seems to reduce kerbing compared to the Dunlops.

Enjoy your new baby. Ron.

Agreed, trashing will commence today! And Contis will be next rubber to have a ditrect comparison

It would look cool, but I reckon he would get sick of cleaning the white alloys.

I really like Black with little red accents here and there. I was thinking about some very thin red vinyl in strategic places, like pinstripe tats but very low key and tasteful.

White alloys are really smart but since I clean my cars roughly twice a year (vRS will be getting hers over the weekend with copious amounts of multilayered waxing lol) white alloys would soon be black anyways! I need to take them off anyways to copper grease the hubs so I avoid potential problems with galvanic corrosion and them sticking solid after a while

Should've got the estate! :drunk:

Lower it now!!!!!!!

lowered-03.jpg

Touche! What can I say, has to be done no question about it :rock: .

funny you mentioned Estate. After SWMBO had a drive in my vRS she came back and told me to get rid of the 520d and buy her one just like that but estate !!!

Mind you, we will probably end up buying 1.8 DSG Superb Estate next year if they keep the good deals coming. Currently in S trim goes for £18k!!! I did little calcs comparing 1.8 petrol to greenline diesel and with the current price difference and prices of fuel I'd have to drive it for 15 years to break even :whew::notme: . Shocking really and no brainer :) Well, works for me as I only do around 8-9k miles a year

Looks tidy. Yeah Dunlops are crap so that's why there's not much grip. Now it's getting colder I wouldn't even bother chasing MPG this time of year. Driving tidy(ish) to work and I'm 3mpg down from normal. Went to Skoda to buy oil for topping up just so I don't have to bother before Christmas. Used a little but not much. Me being a muppet forgot to ask about lowering. Really want it done now

Looks tidy. Yeah Dunlops are crap so that's why there's not much grip. Now it's getting colder I wouldn't even bother chasing MPG this time of year. Driving tidy(ish) to work and I'm 3mpg down from normal. Went to Skoda to buy oil for topping up just so I don't have to bother before Christmas. Used a little but not much. Me being a muppet forgot to ask about lowering. Really want it done now

Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres,I take it? Funny how some people say " you get what you pay for with tyres"...yet these are right in the top bracket price-wise and no-one seems to rate them.

I collect my vRS tomorrow and no doubt I'll get Dunlops,sadly.

Nice!!! Jealous though, I just reasently got a Black Monte Carlo which I really like but would have been nice if I could have afforded the VRS.

No way I could afford one though, only paying £160 a month for the Monte with 3 payments upfront on a PCH leasing deal

665585_4899681772668_910297314_o.jpg

• Like 1

Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres,I take it? Funny how some people say " you get what you pay for with tyres"...yet these are right in the top bracket price-wise and no-one seems to rate them.

I collect my vRS tomorrow and no doubt I'll get Dunlops,sadly.

You were week 42 as well, right?

As I say, without being able to comapre Dunlops to any other rubber yet I cannot fault it...

I also pay attention to german reviews of tyres, tend to be really good :)

Love the Dunlops,

They seem OK to me, too. Maybe a bit noisy? Or is that the car in general? I'm coming from a Ford Focus, which is supposed to be a bit on the noisy side, and this car doesn't seem much quieter. I'm wondering if the tyres are partly to blame. Then again, the coarse chip material they use on the highways here tends to make even the quietest car roar at speed.