DSG Paddles; yes or no?

I'm looking at buying a new VRS Octavia to replace my current Fabia, but I'm in 2 minds whether to go for the paddles option or not. I've not driven a DSG before with paddles, so I'm not sure what the benefits are.

Stock options are limited now, what with the hold on manufacture until the new model next year. I've found a couple of cars with various different options sets, some have the paddles, some don't.

Anyone have a strong opinion either way?

I opted for manual, rather than DSG, what I didn't realise is that DGS is the only way to get the Multi Function Steering Wheel! So take that into consideration.

Reason for choosing manual is I like using gears inc clutch, it costs less to buy, cost less to maintain, cost less to tax etc.

I also test drove a DSG and it seems slow/hesitant to change gear - but that just maybe because I was not used to it.

Edited by mattrixdesign2

I love dsg. As for paddles, well 95% of the time I am in Drive. I actually prefer to use the tiptronic gear lever to the paddles when I have a little gear changing reminiscence.

DSG..Way to go!!

Ignore the haters...its bloody marvelous

Paddles..Use them every now and again..but they are difficult to use as you turn the wheel

We could say ignore the lovers ;)

The reasons why I hated it .... Crap in the snow I couldn't get off my drive and any form of slope stopped it. It jerked when changing (even after a fluid change) when pulling away the a roundabout you had to say a quick prayer before pulling away. Changers were never smooth and it would change gear even in manual. Sport mode was a waste of time. Mine was an a3 tdi remapped. For me it's manual or a proper auto. Sorry it's ot a bit.

• Like 2

I had paddles on my Audi A4 Quattro Tiptronic but don't have them on my Octavia DSG. They give you a certain flexibility when you want to force the car into a lower gear eg at the bottom of a steep hill.

how much will they cost you - £400 or so.

IF you,re in two minds this probably means that they are not worth £400 to you.

Remember you can sort of mimic the usefulness of paddles by a mixture of sport mode and use of the manual change.

if you could get the feature thrown in free as a discount on the purchase price then I'd say go for it.

The reasons why I hated it .... Crap in the snow I couldn't get off my drive and any form of slope stopped it. It jerked when changing (even after a fluid change) when pulling away the a roundabout you had to say a quick prayer before pulling away. Changers were never smooth and it would change gear even in manual. Sport mode was a waste of time. Mine was an a3 tdi remapped. For me it's manual or a proper auto. Sorry it's ot a bit.

Think your DSG box was knackered. Changes super smooth (almost imperceptible) on both cars I've had with DSG.

Awesome piece of kit. Best of both worlds. Still drive a manual on my other car, and enjoy it, but DSG (twin clutch) is the future - Porsche, Ferrari etc etc.

Edited by dunc69
  • Like 4

I' m pleased to heartily back up what Dunc says. Matched to the 1.8 tsi engine the changes are silent, rapid and almost uncanny. I still can't believe the DSG box is changing gear as the Maxidot shows D3, D4,D5 etc in an eerily silent movement.

perhaps there have been lots of software upgrades since Steve had his A3 version of DSG.

Advice I had from my dealer when ordering my Blackline was that (in his opinion) DSG was worth considering for the petrol vRS, but not the deisel. I didn't press him why because as previous thread I wasn't really interested and wanted a manual anyway as it was cheaper and lower tax, plus I've never driven any form of auto apart from hire cars in the states and that's no good as a steer!

On the plus for DSG my boss has a Jag XF with their auto box which he loves - the main plus for him was not having to use the clutch when commuting and sitting in rush hour queues and on the M25 car park, so if you're doing a lot of stop start motoring it may be worth a punt. I'd say try both in whichever engine format you decide on and see what floats your boat.

If you go for DSG don't forget the smokers pack if u can get it (for your pipe!) LOL

I've paddles on my DSG Scout. The DSG stays in drive mostly around town, but if I'm moving about on steep hills even in town, I like to take more control, so use the standard tiptronic shifter. However when we've been out and about on A & B roads, I'll usually use the paddles. As I'd never had this sort of gear box before (though I've had traditional autos in the past), it took me a while to work out what worked best for me.

With regards to the DSG in snow, I know it's a bit unfair to compare because I've a scout, but it behaved perfectly in D, however where I wanted engine breaking or specific revs, it was back over to tiptronic again with no probs from the gearbox.

i also have dsgbox in my superb i use the paddles all the time,would push the stick but find its the wrong way round +=forward -=backward. to me it should be +=backward -=forward!!but unfortunately all vw's 10 months on i still od times push the wrong way

-_

I put on WinterTyres..Mine doesnt jerk at all..is smooth and no prayers necessary

As said, I suggest it was faulty..

Sport mode isnt a waste of time, its usefull for quick overtaking and keeping the turbo on boost

Just make sure you can actually order a non standard vRS, since I believe the factory have now stopped taking new orders and are now running down production of the current Octavia, so they can get ready to make the MK3. If you want a new vRS now, you may have to hope for a cancelled order with an already defined build date or go for a standard one already made and in the UK.

Love my DSG after having manuals before. Gear change is smooth, usually correct although giving the car beans I drive occasionally gets it confused. It's awesome off the line as its foot down and forget. And too boot the paddles are great for overtaking, slowing down (using engine breaking) and spirited a&b road driving.

In my eyes a great compliment to the diesel vrs as all the torque is midrange and doesn't require the car to have its nuts rev'd off.

Personally a nicer drive than the manual in my opinion but everyone to their own...

Thanks for all the input guys. I should have known it would be almost a 50/50 split (plus a few "go for the manual"). :)

Mannyo, I am looking at a few different "stock" vRS which I assume were either cancelled orders or dealer purchases. Surprisingly there are quite a few around, with very short delivery times. It's mainly a case of choosing the car with the closest to best combo of extras for me.

I do a lot of driving in traffic and am pretty set on a DSG to give my left leg a break! having said that, I do spend a bit of time on the A/B roads and like to maintain the control when I want it, hence the draw towards the paddles. I'll keep looking at the options available. One of the main things I want is the multifunction wheel & there's a car available with that & the paddles...

The DSG is definetly the way to go if you encounter heavy crawling traffic anywhere it makes the driving that much easier.The paddles/manual mode ideal for those windy twisty roads especialy in the dales scotland etc gives you total car contol without having to mess about with a clutch manual change. Only downside to dsg is on my previous Fabia 1.2 tsi elegance there was a definate throttle lag. I put that down to the small 1200cc higher reving engine. I have never had this on my Blackline dsg.So the only thing stopping you is price,in my opinion well worth it.

If you go for DSG don't forget the smokers pack if u can get it (for your pipe!) LOL

LOL. I think you'll be wanting the pipe holder in the manual. In real world conditions the DSG is probably quicker! (upshifts only take 8 milliseconds)

Unfortunately they don't come as standard with DSG. There are very few stock cars left with paddles apparently.

Yes they do. Facelift VRS with DSG comes with paddles and maxidot as standard.

• Like 2

I was scepticle about dsg too, after having never driven an auto before.

But after driving a polo gti with dsg, I bought a Fabia vRS with dsg.

Dsg is very very good, Giving unnoticable changes in d and s, just the number on the dash is an indication.

Paddles are fun to change gear with just pretend its a Ferrari, infact using them while in D or S temporally puts it in manual which can be useful, if you want to override auto mode.

Great fun on fast A or B roads, no need to take your hands off the wheel.

One small issue with the paddles in manual mode is they are small and attached to the wheel, so negotiating roundabouts can be interesting with the steering wheel turned you can't shift out of first without either redlining it, which will make it change up, or to use the tiptronic to change up, which is what I've been doing, and is more akin to a manual box.

Pulling away from junctions/roundabouts,

D is for lazy driving and can be ever so slightly hesitant, S has instant response will make the traction control light come on, if you so wish ;)

Stop start traffic DSG is so much better than a manual, no heavy clutch work required.

Fast and smooth shifting up whilst making progress is great, because it will change up faster than a traditional manual.

One thing I prefer a proper manual for is parking, having a clutch pedal gives you an extra element of control. Of course the way to get round that with DSG is to creep and not use the throttle pedal to park.

My one real pet hate with dsg, is kick down in manual mode. Why is this here!?

I havn't driven in snow yet, but I never do anyway I just get the train.

Would I recommend a dsg box? yes.

Would I recommend paddles? yes.

Do I miss a traditional manual? no, dsg is the future.

• Like 4