1.8TSI and 2.0TSI engine failures

DGW

2009 Octavia 1Z5 1.8 TSI owner 126xxxkm

Had my car for 3 weeks, when the "Engine Oil Level" lit up. Went to check oil level to see it being in the middle of "MIN" (Forgot to take a picture of the pin)

Second hand dealer told me as a rule of thumb that Skoda's generally accepts consumption to about 0.5l pr 1000km driven, which to me, still sounded a bit much.

They did however refill the oil, no extra charge, while I had them check a faulty left-indicator "half lighting" when right indicator was on. (Yay for 6 months waranty)

After a maxed refill, I decided to keep an eye on the oil consumption and used a planned trip to a friend to take pictures of the oil level.

After having driven an additional 192km the oil level was in the middle of "MAX", which I again found conserning.

the second hand dealer, again, still not really thinking that it was a problem still wouldn't budge.

29251161_10216003146581022_1141472367_o.thumb.jpg.ef24a0621efcda7a61f917c702dfd7cd.jpg

This was after having driven 325km

IMG_20180325_110729.thumb.jpg.21577b08d595276901617ebf827e4370.jpg
And this was arriving home, after having driven 452km.

Called up the dealer again to say that this time I would just show up with my car and demand them looking into it.

Sure enough, after refilling it again, having one of his mechanics driving my car for 200km again, he could conclude that it magically consumed way too much oil.

They suspected it to be the pistonrings not having a sufficient seal. Didn't mention if they replaced it with new rings, but did say they tried softening the rings up through the weekend. (again, yay for second hand warranty)

I got my car this friday and has done minimal driving in it, but still need to check the oil level again just to confirm it really being fixed. Will update again.

Edited by TheRaver

Read the thread below about the piston ring problem and the manufacturer's remedy - which is to replace the pistons and conrods at a cost of around £2500 if I recall correctly.

My advice would be to return the car to the dealer and ask for a refund.

21 hours ago, TheRaver said:

2009 Octavia 1Z5 1.8 TSI owner 126xxxkm

Had my car for 3 weeks, when the "Engine Oil Level" lit up. Went to check oil level to see it being in the middle of "MIN" (Forgot to take a picture of the pin)

They suspected it to be the pistonrings not having a sufficient seal. Didn't mention if they replaced it with new rings, but did say they tried softening the rings up through the weekend. (again, yay for second hand warranty)

I got my car this friday and has done minimal driving in it, but still need to check the oil level again just to confirm it really being fixed. Will update again.

Whether the dealer knows it or not, the problem is a quite established on the EA888 1.8 and 2.0TSis. Subject of one or more TPIs.  Unfortunately, again whether they know it or not, there is very little they can do to remedy it without a new engine or new pistons/rings and possibly rods. 

I'm afraid, anything they are doing trying to soften the rings is just delaying the inevitable and is to delay things or push it outside the 6 months warranty. But , I really doubt it will have much effect once the engine starts to lose that much oil anyway. About 1L per 1000km in your case?  Damage will be quite well established.

If you have any consumer rights to allow returning the vehicle, I would exercise Now..

You should review some of the detailed posts in here on the blocked scraper ring. Also, don't forget the vulnerability on the main timing chain tensioner if that hasn't been attended to!

Sorry to be so down beat but the reality is it could be a slog uphill to get this properly resolved and even then what shortcuts might they take?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DGW said:

Read the thread below about the piston ring problem and the manufacturer's remedy - which is to replace the pistons and conrods at a cost of around £2500 if I recall correctly.

My advice would be to return the car to the dealer and ask for a refund.

After reading through that thread, I really don't want to give the car up just yet.

The dealer seems very genuine in helping out so I will just keep monitoring the consumption and report back if the problem hasn't gone better,

because as of now, having driven it an additional 135km after getting my car back, the pin already shows the entire "MAX" again, unless they didn't fully fill it with oil, which they did the first time, they refilled it.

Returning the car for a refund will inevitably by my last resort if this cannot be fixed within the 6 month waranty.

But again, I am not really "in-the-know" of how the law works in Denmark.

6 hours ago, TheClient said:

Whether the dealer knows it or not, the problem is a quite established on the EA888 1.8 and 2.0TSis. Subject of one or more TPIs.  Unfortunately, again whether they know it or not, there is very little they can do to remedy it without a new engine or new pistons/rings and possibly rods. 

I'm afraid, anything they are doing trying to soften the rings is just delaying the inevitable and is to delay things or push it outside the 6 months warranty. But , I really doubt it will have much effect once the engine starts to lose that much oil anyway. About 1L per 1000km in your case?  Damage will be quite well established.

If you have any consumer rights to allow returning the vehicle, I would exercise Now..

You should review some of the detailed posts in here on the blocked scraper ring. Also, don't forget the vulnerability on the main timing chain tensioner if that hasn't been attended to!

Sorry to be so down beat but the reality is it could be a slog uphill to get this properly resolved and even then what shortcuts might they take?

As I responded to the above quote, I will fight for it to be fixed within the 6 month waranty (entering the 2nd month of ownership).

About the maintiming belt, I did try to ask about it before, but he downplayed it by telling me, they wouldn't be able to tell by "opening the top and look down into the timing belt to determine tear..

But for now, I'll take one problem at the time, even if there isn't more than just 1 problem. I want this fixed. I've sadly grown to like this car, so I really don't want to go through the hassle of finding a replacement car, especially since finding something similar is hard in Denmark, and anything better really bumps up the price, again, in Denmark.

17 hours ago, TheRaver said:

As I responded to the above quote, I will fight for it to be fixed within the 6 month waranty (entering the 2nd month of ownership).

About the maintiming belt, I did try to ask about it before, but he downplayed it by telling me, they wouldn't be able to tell by "opening the top and look down into the timing belt to determine tear..

But for now, I'll take one problem at the time, even if there isn't more than just 1 problem. I want this fixed. I've sadly grown to like this car, so I really don't want to go through the hassle of finding a replacement car, especially since finding something similar is hard in Denmark, and anything better really bumps up the price, again, in Denmark.

The engine uses a timing chain for the main crankshaft / camshaft timing.   The thing is I do not know whether the dealer is being evasive or just doesn't know his skoda stuff but either way it is not filling me with confidence.

If it is still running a 2009 timing chain and tensioner, that is an issue. That will be a very early revision and one which is probably the most susceptible to failure. Based on manufacture date and no proof of any change out, he really doesn't need to look at anything to inspect that.

If he really wanted to, there is an inspection plug on the side of the lower timing chain cover, which with a mirror can be used to sight the timing chain tensioner and the number of teeth extended.  VCDS or dealer level software I believe can give some phase readings which also indicate the extent of timing chain stretch.

To be totally blunt, to me, either: 

1) the dealer doesn't know what they are talking about;  or

2) they do and are covering....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just has my 2010 VRS 46k miles tensioner changed, I'm glad I did as I asked them to keep the old tensioner for me to look at. As you can see from the pictures when I took it apart, the teeth on one park of the ratchet are fine, but there are teeth missing and wear on the other part....phew. At least I can sleep a little easier now.

I would definately recommend getting the latest tensioner fitted!

20180612_151239.jpg

20180612_151252.jpg

• Like 2

Reading this thread is leading me to question the wisdom of getting a leggy (120k) 1.8 TSI estate. On the other hand it seems most of the affected one were 2.0 TSI at around 40k miles and 3-4 years old. Mine is nine years and I'm comforting myself with the idea that if anything was to go wrong it had already done and been fixed. Maybe wishful thinking but better than worry about any new sound or groan while driving

Hi,

Well I'm another victim of the tensioner failure

Model 2010 Octaiva 1.8

Engine number CM 118KW  CDAA

Millage 38505

I was luckily doing a short run when the car began to sound different but no lack off power, when I parked I noticed the engine light come on as I switched off the car. I turned the car back on and the engine began jumping around in the engine bay sounding like it was misfiring and the engine light came on, I immediately turned off the car and called the AA. The AA ran a diagnostic and came up with code Engine Control AOF/MOTRONIC MED 17 STATUS: P0011- Camshaft timing retard (BANK1)

The car wasn't started and was towed to my local garage where under inspection the timing chain had slipped and come off due to tensioner failure. I was very lucky as no damage had been done to the engine but still set me back just under £1000 to get the faulty part replaced to get the car back up and running. My mechanic was surprised by the failure until he saw the replacement part and explained to me how it had been modified to stop this happening, he went on to say that this should never of happened, engine was clean and car was well looked after, I have kept the faulty parts.

I contacted my local Skoda dealer whom I purchased the car from new but was told that they had never heard of such a problem ever occurring and due to the car being out of warranty it would cost me about £800-£100 to just diagnose the fault with an engine strip down before even getting to repairs and I probably would be looking at a new engine or full rebuild. I'm now going to pursue the matter with Skoda to try and get compensation so wish me luck!! 

Happy to supply more details if needed.

Mine was a 7year old 1.8 tsi with c70k on it and although no chain issues it was using too much oil. A new engine ensued.

20 hours ago, Sarge said:

Mine was a 7year old 1.8 tsi with c70k on it and although no chain issues it was using too much oil. A new engine ensued.

Getting quite shared now about vag TSI engines and now starting to regret getting rid of my 185k mileage Honda accord estate just because I was bored of it

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2009 1.8 Tsi with 35000 kms on the odo. The tensioner is still what came with the car and I am looking to have the same changed.  

I have a question for everyone who has changed their tensioners, that is it okay to use aftermarket timing kits or should you stick to ones from Skoda. I have an option for a timing kit from Borsehung which would cost near half of what is suggested by Skoda workshop.

Since I am based in India, the Skoda workshop is not aware of any issues with the tensioner and insists that it would last the lifetime of the car. On insisting they have given me an estimate of £1000 where they want to change all the 3 tensioners, rails, 3 chains, water pump, etc etc. A list of some 31 items. It's either that or none. 

Edited by basus

No experience of the aftermarket kit. Most, if not all here in uk, use genuine parts for this work.

The main timing chain, main tensioner, some rails, guides and seals and the lower timing cover are what is usually considered as complete solution.

Very surprising they have no experience of failures. What happens to those cars that fail in India. Not even return to dealer for diagnosis?  Funny thing is skoda dealers in uk often come back with that response. Clearly untrue or very inexperienced dealer.  

Edited by TheClient

10 hours ago, TheClient said:

No experience of the aftermarket kit. Most, if not all here in uk, use genuine parts for this work.

The main timing chain, main tensioner, some rails, guides and seals and the lower timing cover are what is usually considered as complete solution.

Very surprising they have no experience of failures. What happens to those cars that fail in India. Not even return to dealer for diagnosis?  Funny thing is skoda dealers in uk often come back with that response. Clearly untrue or very inexperienced dealer.  

Thanks for your reply. The situation here is we donot get VW/Skoda OEM parts over the counter. Therefore we need to rely on aftermarket parts else pay more than double and get it done from the service center. I saw Borsehung as a brand was available in skoda-parts.com, autodoc, ecmtuning etc so went ahead with it. Also their parts numbers are exactly the same as the OEM ones. Also I saw comments on some websites, that they are OEM parts which are rebranded. God knows if that is true. 

I am getting the work done at a Bosch Service Center, and they promised it was a good part. Only time will tell, fingers crossed. 

Edited by basus

On 08/03/2013 at 07:51, JB-) said:

One of the ones on here failed at 86k, but most seem to be in the 30k's

Yes they are. Seems to be worst on VW Tiguan's going on internet searches.

mines got the old type tentioner fitted and looks ok through the hole , mines on 90k and have been told not to bother and just drive it , its always in the back on my mind tho

20180728_133841.jpg

20180728_133905.jpg

Edited by Jamesey

Well, even VAG does not know what to tell their service network team ... Check and compare following TPIs

VW TPI 2025206

Technical product information 2025206_7.pdf

Audi TPI 2041797

Technical product information 2041797_1.pdf

And what is really sad, no one can say anything about the condition of this tiny but vital piece without disassembly of that tensioner ... The pressure test against the tensioner can give different results :sadsmile:

PIHhyb3.jpg

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102001

I've read through most of this, a lot as i've recently bought a 10 plate, FL mk2 vRS. What actually needs replacing? Just the 1 tensioner with the k revision? I'm slightly confused and my car is currently in the garage having the new tensioner put on, but it would be nice to know what else might need doing!

28 minutes ago, SimpsonMrG said:

I've read through most of this, a lot as i've recently bought a 10 plate, FL mk2 vRS. What actually needs replacing? Just the 1 tensioner with the k revision? I'm slightly confused and my car is currently in the garage having the new tensioner put on, but it would be nice to know what else might need doing!

It may need a new chain and guides if it's stretched the chain .

This is what the garage said to me .but hopefully mine will just need the new revised tentioner and the tin engine cover that always bends on taking it off.

Mines costing a quote of £400 for genuine TPS parts and labour .but more if it needs a chain .

I'll be more happy when this job is done mate .what milage is your car on ..mines at 91k

15 minutes ago, Jamesey said:

It may need a new chain and guides if it's stretched the chain .

This is what the garage said to me .but hopefully mine will just need the new revised tentioner and the tin engine cover that always bends on taking it off.

Mines costing a quote of £400 for genuine TPS parts and labour .but more if it needs a chain .

I'll be more happy when this job is done mate .what milage is your car on ..mines at 91k

59k mate. I'm getting the tensioner done for 270. He didn't mention the cover or anything else, and i think he's giving me mates rates. But we'll see!

22 minutes ago, SimpsonMrG said:

59k mate. I'm getting the tensioner done for 270. He didn't mention the cover or anything else, and i think he's giving me mates rates. But we'll see!

It will definitely need a cover as they bend trying to get them off .think there £65 trade from tps .

Those prices sound good to me. I've not heard of much less that 800+ quid including the chain where I am (West London / Middx).

Has anyone had this done in my area and can recommend the garage ? Otherwise can you guys further North having it done let us know if the job was a good un and if you did need the chain too.

Mine on 37K so hoping the chain is ok.

Talking from experience, you need to replace everything that was mentioned earlier in the thread. The chain and all the guides aren't that expensive, most of the cost comes from Labour. Also if your mechanic hasn't done one before then take the car to someone that knows how to do It and is confident.