Skoda Octavia 3 Owners register

• 4 weeks later...

220 vrs Mk-III pre facelift. 

New to this jam but I have plenty of stuff planned. Coming from a VX siggy elite. 

Some things are better, some things are worse xD

Why the heck doesnt the cigarette lighter switch off when the car is off?!?!
Why does the boot unlock button only unlock the boot and relock it when you close the boot?!?!

Managed to lock myself out and discharge the battery in the space of 2 days.

- Lucky i had the spare key, and my wife had the house keys or else we'd have been very buggered.
- And lucky I was able to get in to the car get the jump leads out and jump start it.

I've disabled the boot button on the key with OBDeleven, just use the unlock button now for the boot release so I cant lock myself out xD

Got a thread going of mods Im planning to do if anyone cares.
May have to add 'connect cigarette lighter to acc rather than just 12v+'  to the list!

Anyway hello all!

35c7de6146a86e9c172f9bea6633c600_549659.thumb.jpg.65efa61b99624503e51aacbbee371c53.jpg

11 hours ago, LithiumX said:

Why the heck doesnt the cigarette lighter switch off when the car is off?!?!

Why does the boot unlock button only unlock the boot and relock it when you close the boot?!?!

All VW Group vehicles have an always on cigarette lighter - great when you have a cool box which you want to keep cool (the Battery Management System will turn it off if the battery voltage gets too low). BTW I hate that my Toyota has a cigarette lighter that turns off with the ignition!

The BOOT 'unlock' button opens the BOOT but doesn't unlock it. It only opens the boot not the car for security (anti hijack) reasons. There is a VCDS/OBDEleven tweak that disables the boot relocking for IIRC about 30 seconds giving time to retrieve keys that have been placed in the boot

This will enable the delay on locking the trunk lid when opened from the remote when the car is locked. So, if you shut the trunk and then realise you have left the keys in the boot it doesn't lock straight away, you have about 27 seconds (thanks mberger for timing it) to open it again before it locks.

Controller 09 – Central Electronics

16 - Security Access - enter 31347

10 - Adaptations

Change (26)-Access control-Freigabenachlauf Heck nach Einzeloeffnung ueber HDF-Funktaster to active

3 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

All VW Group vehicles have an always on cigarette lighter - great when you have a cool box which you want to keep cool (the Battery Management System will turn it off if the battery voltage gets too low). BTW I hate that my Toyota has a cigarette lighter that turns off with the ignition

I mean, if this had worked, that would have made me very happy, but my car was so dead, nothing would switch on 😞 Had to take the plastic cap off and jump it 😞

I like the idea of the timeout.... but I just straight up switched it off. 
Ill see I can look into that!

Hey @PetrolDave, you note that the Battery Management System will turn off the cigarette lighter is the car battery voltage gets too low. I'm pretty sure that I read (for my April 2020 Octavia MkIII, anyway) that the cigarette lighter plug (particularly, the auxiliary plug in the cargo area of the wagon) actually can drain the car's battery to dead. Maybe VW/Audi branded vehicles have more protection, but we Skoda-ites get a little less?

22 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

All VW Group vehicles have an always on cigarette lighter - great when you have a cool box which you want to keep cool (the Battery Management System will turn it off if the battery voltage gets too low). BTW I hate that my Toyota has a cigarette lighter that turns off with the ignition!

The BOOT 'unlock' button opens the BOOT but doesn't unlock it. It only opens the boot not the car for security (anti hijack) reasons. There is a VCDS/OBDEleven tweak that disables the boot relocking for IIRC about 30 seconds giving time to retrieve keys that have been placed in the boot

1 hour ago, JayLibove said:

Hey @PetrolDave, you note that the Battery Management System will turn off the cigarette lighter is the car battery voltage gets too low. I'm pretty sure that I read (for my April 2020 Octavia MkIII, anyway) that the cigarette lighter plug (particularly, the auxiliary plug in the cargo area of the wagon) actually can drain the car's battery to dead. Maybe VW/Audi branded vehicles have more protection, but we Skoda-ites get a little less?

That's not my experience with my 1.4TSI Octavia 3, after an overnight stop with a cool box connected the BMS had turned off the cool box but the car unlocked and started with no problem - with an original factory fitted battery that then was 3 years old.

The manual for my car mentions, for those cars which have a 230V socket (mine does not), that it will be shut off if the battery gets low. It doesn't say that about the cigarette lighter/ 12V sockets. It doesn't differentiate between the 12V socket on the console and the auxiliary 12V socket in the cargo area.

It would be nice to be able to find an actual statement from the manufacturer.

10 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

That's not my experience with my 1.4TSI Octavia 3, after an overnight stop with a cool box connected the BMS had turned off the cool box but the car unlocked and started with no problem - with an original factory fitted battery that then was 3 years old.

I've just checked the wiring diagrams for pre-FL and FL cars, both 12v sockets are powered directly from the car battery via fuse SA1 then SC40. It's impossible for the car to turn the sockets off when the battery gets low :)

I can only guess that PetrolDave's coolbox had some internal smarts to stop it flattening the battery...?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, langers2k said:

I think that SC40 might be a slightly special fuse as there are two positions for it...

image.png.80a20447ddd324528115442231e6b81e.png

Youtube clip for a MK7 Golf which is similar electronically:

There have been many posts on here asking about making the 12V sockets ignition switched and the outcome seems to be that the 2 positions for SC40 are wired in non-UK cars but on UK cars the ignition switched position is not wired at the factory.

So the solution seems to be a piggyback fuse into a switch ignition position with SC40 removed and the flying lead plugged into the SC40 outlet side.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all I'm ashamed to say this but I have been a skoda owner many times and have never used this. At present I have.....

Octavia vrs mk3 tdi 2014 Black pack and winter pack.

Octavia vrs mk1 Black (work in progress) 

And my daughter is in a fabia monte carlo.

Unfortunately my wife refuses to join and is in a qashqai 🤔.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/08/2021 at 15:25, Donga said:

Hi, Just broke my Skoda virginity. Bought a 2015 Octavia Elegance 1.6tdi 4x4 estate. Wanted the cheap tax (£30 a year) and 4x4 as I live in rural Argyll up in Scotland. Well pleased so far. 

IMG_20210803_152027.jpg

Hi, can I borrow your address (tax £30) 😁

2016 (66 Plate) pre-facelift Mk.3 Octavia VRS in Quartz Gray.
Brilliant Motorway commuting vehicle but also fast enough to have some (responsible!) fun in when on the diversions away from them.

1 minute ago, hhcd80 said:

2016 (66 Plate) pre-facelift Mk.3 Octavia VRS in Quartz Gray.
Brilliant Motorway commuting vehicle but also fast enough to have some (responsible!) fun in when on the diversions away from them.

Forgot to mention it's the TDI engine

Hi,

My first Skoda:

2018 1.6 TDI 85 kW DSG Octavia Face Lift SE Technology in Black.  Photo is from that well known car company fronted by Rylan because i've not taken any pictures of it yet myself.  It arrived on Sunday.

Upgrades from standard SE Tech spec (that I am aware of):

Columbus Nav

Canton Sound

Heated Front Seats

Heated Windscreen (winter pack)

Currently I have removed the under boot polystyrene and placed in a space saver wheel and kit.  Columbus nav has one of the best screens i've ever seen in a car.  Canton sub may as well not be there but the rest of the sound is nice.

Very happy with it so far.

04.thumb.jpg.546eda1477bffe3e4033f280bb4627ee.jpg