Petrol VRS V Diesel VRS

The one I just bought is a FL. Collect it tomorrow. All Skoda info calls it a T FSi. Even the dealer and the final FL brochure. That's why it's confusing me! The trip computer says it averaged 29mpg with the previous owner over 1.5 years. But I'm guessing most of that was town driving.

We are yet to yet to buy ours but I had the same confusion! See here

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/281076-buying-a-vrs-engine-confusion/#entry3328708

Also doesn't help that they are all listed the same on Autotrader. I'm not sure I would trust it until I lifted the bonnet!  :mmm:

The one I just bought is a FL. Collect it tomorrow. All Skoda info calls it a T FSi. Even the dealer and the final FL brochure. That's why it's confusing me! The trip computer says it averaged 29mpg with the previous owner over 1.5 years. But I'm guessing most of that was town driving.

The trip computer resets after a maximum of so many hours though so that average will not be over 1.5years, it will probably include a few foot down test drives so real life is likely to be a little better.

I have the 125TDI with M6 trans in a wagon, mate of mine has the 147TSI with DSG6 in a sedan.

After I got a torque arm insert fitted, we had a drag race. It was neck-and-neck until about 140km/h.

I have a custom cat-back exhaust, but thats after the DPF so it makes no performance difference. I also have a carbonio CAI which made zero difference on the butt-dyno and some more air in via the MAF sensor (1,300 cubic feet/min as opposed to 1,050cfm max)

I also joined a Stage 2 tuned 147TSI (pushing around 200kW, maybe?) for a track day - I did the same amount of laps (if not a couple more) and had used 1/8th of a tank when the day finished. He had used 1/4. :)

His max speed on the straights was 120km/h (with BBK, springs, shocks, roll bars, WALK, etc etc etc) and mine was 100km/h. (stock except wheels at that stage)

Its up to you - but I'd go diesel! I see no reason to go back to spark plugs... 125kW/350Nm is fantastic, but that will be 170kW/465Nm once I get the DPF gutted and a stage 2 tune. ;)
Besides, once you've seen 1,000km on one tank... There really is no going back!

The trip computer resets after a maximum of so many hours though so that average will not be over 1.5years, it will probably include a few foot down test drives so real life is likely to be a little better.

Ah! That's useful to know. My old car did the average over infinite mileage until you manually reset it.

I prefer the 'feel' of petrol engines cars over diesel. And I like a warm cabin in the winter. These are my main reasons for petrol over diesel.

A sheet of cardboard over the intercooler does wonders for warmup time on the diesels in winter. Keep an eye on coolant temps, but i had no problems.

Petrols may get to warm.

A sheet of cardboard over the intercooler does wonders for warmup time on the diesels in winter.

That's gotta be the most useful fact of the day so far! Had no idea. Just my preference of the feel of the drive to overcome then!

Ah! That's useful to know. My old car did the average over infinite mileage until you manually reset it.

That's how the Trip 2 works on mine - Trip 1 auto resets after a couple of hours or so, Trip 2 is manual reset only (all cumulative parameters). I checked, it wasn't 11k more like 5k. Today's average between Cardiff and Dagenham was 42 out (using cruise at 70, taking it easy), and 37.9 by the time I got home, and that was hammering back along the M4, including the mandatory drag race out of the severn bridge tolls. It seems to be getting better as the miles loosen it up a bit, however, my old TSI (which I owned between 44k and 85k) managed 35 at best on very steady motorway run.

Anyway, enough about fuel economy, I'm off to read my copy of screwdriver monthly.....

Edited by stever750

I think I can comment on this topic as I have had both the petrol and diesel.

I bought a new 11 plate petrol Vrs estate and ran it for 12 months but my annual mileage went fro 12K miles to over 20k Miles per year. I enjoyed the car and the engine was smooth, powerful and everything the petrol fans say it is. Average MPG over the year 36 MPG.

I traded that in for a new 12 plate CR Vrs estate and it is now 14 months old and about to go in for its 30k mile service. I enjoy the car and it gets an average 50 MPG, however it is a different drive due to weight and engine characteristics etc.

My opinion- These are 2 different cars and should be treated as such with each having there own good and bad points.

• Like 2

With my 2.0tsi dsg, I usually get a 40-42mpg run to work and thats with a few squirts now and then! If I drive fast to work I get around 37mpg on fast a roads.

I used to have a TDI 1.9 but I just didn't get along with it, always had petrol...tried a diesel and went back to petrol! :)

I'm in total agreement with Leon-y-k 's post above as this is what I'm getting on my daily commute 14 miles each way to work on a 50/60 mph A road which means I'm usually in a line of traffic doing between 45 to 55mph. And yes, the petrol is very good for that occasional spectacular overtake!!

Long term average on my TFSI is 35.0 mpg right now.

Haven't done a brim to brim for a while but last time I did it the computer was pretty much spot on.

Longer trip to Edinburgh yesterday even in the heavy rain my trip average was 38.3 mpg.

Recently changed two of the tyres to Goodyear Efficient Performance and I actually think they might be mailing a small difference to the mpg at the cost of a bit of sharpness in the handling.

100 mile journey this afternoon 3 up, bike on the roof M4 Cardiff to Pembroke average 37.1 cruise most of the way at indicated 75. Had a couple of moments in the A40 last 20 miles otherwise mid 38s would have been possible. Given my massive preference for the way a petrol drives I can see no point in diesel again, including anything from BMW other than perhaps a 535.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by stever750

Well after a long hard thought I have now purchased a 2.0T VRS :rofl:

I averaged 35MPG on my 40 mile commute this morning :bandit:

mine dropped to 47 brim to brim today.... Miss daisey is no longer speaking to me LOL

Right, i have just gone from a  300bhp KO4 converted 2.0 T vRS to a VW Passat CR 140. I put a CR170 turbo on it and a dpf delete and remapp running approx 200bhp and 325bl ft torque approx. Since doing the mods i don't miss my old vRS, The CR 170 when modded with a dpf delete is quite surprising and will give a remapped 2.0T a run for it's money with at least 15 mpg more, The 2.0 TDI common rail engine is very good. It's obviously not as fast as my old vRS but it reminds me of it when on the move, certainly not 130bhp more fun!

Edited by Micky 32

• 2 weeks later...

18 mile 'hoof' to work this morning gave me 42mpg.

consumption.JPG

This makes me sad :-( 37.4MPG from my 1.8TSI this morning on my 28 mile journey (the 18 roundabouts don't help!)

It's too late to help the OP, but thought I'd contribute anyway…

Had a MK1 VRS (05 plate) for 7 years and 150k miles. Loved it. Faultless. Excellent to drive and extreme value for money. Bought it at 6 months/1.5k miles for £12k. - traded it in for £1k :(

The regret... the regret...

Swapped it for a 62 plate TDI VRS at the end of 2012 (after a brief dalliance with a fun, but ultimately broken, 3.0TDI A5). The Mk2 VRS diesel is nowhere near as much fun to drive as the Mk1 petrol - noisy & reluctant to rev (but that's just diesels I guess). Feels fast in 3rd gear (30-70 mph) but can also easily feel sluggish and is generally not as nice to drive. Considering a remap to bring some fun back.

The Mk2 seems noisier when cruising at 70 on the motorway (road/tyre noise) - that's a disappointing backward step! Feels bigger & heavier too, not as nimble as the Mk1.

On the plus side, pootling along at 70 on the motorway I get 53 MPG in the TDI (used to get 40+ in the MK1 - both measured brim to brim). Since I do 25k miles a year (most of which is at 70), the diesel was the "right" choice. Get 600 miles to a tank. Radio in the Mk2 takes an SD card which is nice. Sound quality is much better too.

But I wish I did fewer miles :(

For anyone reading & contemplating the same decision, I'd be tempted to keep the Mk1 and run it into the ground.

2.0 Petrol vRS Estate. 39 to 40 mpg doing an 18 mile trip to work...... Was averaging about 36mpg from Poland to England.....and that was even hoofing it on the Autobahn's where permitted.....

I'm sorry, but there is no way you can get 42mpg from the tsi whilst 'hoofing' it. I can get that with an extremely light touch but in comparison got 7mpg around Castle Combe (now that was hoofing it). For a spirited 18 mile run, I would expect mid 20's.

Just set a new personal best in my petrol vrs on a 25mile journey into glasgow....averaged 52.1mpg sitting at 65mph with cruise control and air con on.